Gaming Headphones Guide & Discussion.

playstation

The best option IMO, and after a lot of research that i have been able to come to is to buy the ATH AD700 from pristine Note for 5995 /- with 1year warranty, and then combine it with a Turtle Beach DSS AMp/DAC, which retails for around 70$ and does the same job as the Mixamp but for a far better price, the only feature missing is the Chat Game sound mixer, but surround sound wise this is THE BEST COMBO, the total cost comes around 9K for this combo and is THE BEST OPTION for those who do not intend to go beyond the dreaded 10K mark.

For those in SUB 1k bracket KCS5 would be the first choice foloowed by Philips SP2500 only for headphone/listening purposes, but ofcourse BT headset will push the cost up a little ...

Hope this helps all !!!

Edit :- those looking for Sub 5k or 3k budget, i think CAL imported from US/Uk is a better option, couldn't find decently priced CAL for Indian e stores, i see it priced at as low as 70$ on various US website though, the price sky rockets for these in Indian context, have no idea why

The best option IMO, and after a lot of research that i have been able to come to is to buy the ATH AD700 from pristine Note for 5995 /- with 1year warranty, and then combine it with a Turtle Beach DSS AMp/DAC, which retails for around 70$ and does the same job as the Mixamp but for a far better price, the only feature missing is the Chat Game sound mixer, but surround sound wise this is THE BEST COMBO, the total cost comes around 9K for this combo and is THE BEST OPTION for those who do not intend to go beyond the dreaded 10K mark.

see it priced at as low as 70$ on various US website though, the price sky rockets for these in Indian context, have no idea why

thats where u go wrong mate.... dss amps is CRAP...had a chance to try it out with the px21 and they had BAD surround sound

it was almost like stereo

thats where u go wrong mate.... dss amps is CRAP...had a chance to try it out with the px21 and they had BAD surround sound

it was almost like stereo

No Bro DSS amp is exactly same as the Astro Mixamp - the Chat sound mixer, both use the same Dolby certified chip, PX21 has an inbuilt in line AMP which cannot be bypassed, and if you read the article and a few pages of that thread in a little detail you will come to know what I am talking about. the inline AMP of PX21 causes an inherent hissing sound and are not very good for gaming.

i have talked about this with several guys who have previously owned both the AMPS, the Astro as well as the DSS, and they confirmed that given a proper headphone like the AD700, the surround sound effect is exactly the same for both the amps, i even had this talk with MLGSteggy and he confirmed the same, it's not the DSS that is CRAP it's the PX21 that are Crap, try this AMP with a good pair of Dolby headphones, like the AD700, or the AKG 701/702 or DT990 etc, and this works exactly like the Astro Mixamp.

Furthermore DSS2 is now available which is loaded with more features at the same price tag. Like I said before it isn't the DSS, but the headphone that u tried this with, the inline amp of PX21 is very bad, i tried the DSS with my AD700's and the sound i got was absolutely phenomenal, and add to that around 15 people who have tried both including some of most knowledgable people in gaming headphones field, and all of them confirmed that there is no difference regarding the virtual surround sound effect produced, which is beacuse tof the fact that both use the same Dolby certified Chip, it's the chat/ game sound mixer on the Astro Mixamp that pushes it's price UP.

Here for your ready reference i am quoting from the link i gave before, ShinCZ's opinion about the PX21 paired with Astro Mixamp, the same opinion is shared by everyone else including MLGsteggy.

Turtle Beach PX21

Hey, do you like hiss with your sound? Yeah? Then the PX21 is PERFECT for you. There is an audible hiss blanketed over the sound due to it's proprietary inline amp. Yeah, if you hook this up to the Mixamp, you're geting a hissy, double amped (in a bad way) piece of crap. Okay, not crap. If you can get over the hiss, the sound is actually pretty crisp and detailed. I actually LIKE the sound it has, hiss aside. However, due to the hiss, I won't go any further into trying to remotely going into the specifics. And yes, this is an innate issue with all PX21s. The inline amp is the problem.

Fun: 4/10

Competitive: 5/10

Appreciate your response. I'm using the Philips SHP 2500 right now. Any headphone suggestions with that as the benchmark? :)

Nope -- haven't used a Philips. All I'm saying is that, as with everything else, you pay more and more for less and less. You might be expecting a proportional increase in sound quality, but that is just not realistic.

Nope -- haven't used a Philips. All I'm saying is that, as with everything else, you pay more and more for less and less. You might be expecting a proportional increase in sound quality, but that is just not realistic.

I agree and I disagree.

For most people they think the quality doesn't increase as much as the price does, but for a trained ear he may very well appreciate the fine nuances, but yes, most of the times the quality doesn't increase as much as the price does.

Also headphones cannot be appreciated just by listening for some minutes imo :fear:

hey guys who bought turtle beach px5

how do i get myself one and how much did it cost for you ..???

Got mine from amazon us. Cost me $232 back then in oct. Shipped via SNS. Shipping cost 1264/- and customs 905/-

Hello !

am a new member here; just joined :)

i havent been through the whole thread, but from whatever i've seen, seems there's not much talk about roccat kave. could someone please tell why wasnt it found to be much favourable for gaming ? i just got a kave (2 days back) and found it very good; though i have purchased it SOLELY for gaming. for stereo needs, i will be getting the M50 later (using a siberia V1 and ozone attack as of now, out of which the attack i would put up for sale soon). but still, why no kave ? eager to know.

thanks !

Got my official PS3 headphones from Vignesh when he came back from the US. Must say it blows every other crappy headphone Ive ever owned, out of the water! You can hear stuff you would've never heard coming from the TV audio out. In Skyrim, I heard the flaps of a dragons wings. I was like WTF? The sound was so deep and crisp.

I have one doubt though. I read earlier that the surround sound doesnt work with video playing from the PS3, but in my case it does? I switched on PS3 media server in my laptop, and watched a couple of episodes of how i met your mother, switched off and on the surround sound, and it DOES seem to make a difference... Also, does anyone know how to pair this thing with my HTC desire HD? Can it be done at all? I've got a hunch that without the USB dongle, you cant pair it with a device, but I could be wrong...

Hello !

am a new member here; just joined :)

i havent been through the whole thread, but from whatever i've seen, seems there's not much talk about roccat kave. could someone please tell why wasnt it found to be much favourable for gaming ? i just got a kave (2 days back) and found it very good; though i have purchased it SOLELY for gaming. for stereo needs, i will be getting the M50 later (using a siberia V1 and ozone attack as of now, out of which the attack i would put up for sale soon). but still, why no kave ? eager to know.

thanks !

Console gaming forum. PC gaming headset. You do the math. :P

Just got meself a Razer Carcharias today. Sound quality is very nice but I am just stunned by how comfy it is. I used them for like 2-3 hours and I almost forgot I even had them on. Its ridiculous.

Also, does anyone know how to pair this thing with my HTC desire HD? Can it be done at all? I've got a hunch that without the USB dongle, you cant pair it with a device, but I could be wrong...

you can't.

How many headphones do you own beech :chair:

just these and the Sony Wireless 7.1 ones... :gunsmilie:

Got mine from amazon us. Cost me $232 back then in oct. Shipped via SNS. Shipping cost 1264/- and customs 905/-

repped thanx ...

How exactly did you pay for it ???

do amazon accept indian cc or some other way ...???

Got my official PS3 headphones from Vignesh when he came back from the US. Must say it blows every other crappy headphone Ive ever owned, out of the water! You can hear stuff you would've never heard coming from the TV audio out. In Skyrim, I heard the flaps of a dragons wings. I was like WTF? The sound was so deep and crisp.

I have one doubt though. I read earlier that the surround sound doesnt work with video playing from the PS3, but in my case it does? I switched on PS3 media server in my laptop, and watched a couple of episodes of how i met your mother, switched off and on the surround sound, and it DOES seem to make a difference... Also, does anyone know how to pair this thing with my HTC desire HD? Can it be done at all? I've got a hunch that without the USB dongle, you cant pair it with a device, but I could be wrong...

the headset is rf not bluetooth

Console gaming forum. PC gaming headset. You do the math. :P

Just got meself a Razer Carcharias today. Sound quality is very nice but I am just stunned by how comfy it is. I used them for like 2-3 hours and I almost forgot I even had them on. Its ridiculous.

oops. so stupid of me :giggle: thanks for making that dawn upon me :)

by the way, congrats on your new purchase ! enjoy the aural-bliss on those headphones....

Archived