KOF XIV in the making? - News that says it is!

Hi fellow fighters,

Seems like a KOF 14 is in the making after all! SNK's got me worried there for a second..phew...what with this year marking the 20th anniversary of the game and all. So far, there's been only Rhythm of fighters(about which I won't go into detail here - thank me!!) and the next iteration of the 2d fighter is a long-time coming.

So brace yourself FG fans, cuz here's some good news : Former SNK producer returns to SNK and a new trademark registered!! It is officially the time to get excited :D

Has SNK Playmore already started development work on the next King of Fighters fighting game? They may very well have.

Do we know for sure? Of course we don't. SNK Playmore hasn't announced anything of the sort yet. They've never even as much as dropped a hint.

But what if we told you that Masaaki Kukino, the producer for King of Fighters 12 and 13 who left SNK Playmore in November 2010 shortly after KOF13 arcade was released and just prior to the console versions coming out in Japan, is now back at SNK Playmore?

Or that, he's actually been back at SNK Playmore ever since November 2013 -- a whopping seven months?

That's exactly what Evil_Yagami on the Cybernetix forums (via KOFKoucha) discovered this week on Masaaki Kukino's Facebook page. After leaving SNK Playmore, Kukino went to work for Chinese games developer WahLap Technology Software before leaving them in May 2013 to work for himself, as a freelance games designer from July to November 2013.

And then he went back to SNK Playmore in November 2013. What do you suppose he has been working on these past seven months?

This discovery comes after after the recent news that SNK Playmore has registered a trademark for a "KOF" video game.

During CEO, Andres Velasco y Coll, one of the commentators for KOF13 and the voice actor for Dive in Dive Kick, mentioned on stream (via KOFKoucha) that he's heard some things about a KOF14 being in development:

"I’m waiting for KOFXIV. I’ve heard some things. I can’t tell you how I’ve heard some things, but I’ve heard some things. I know it’s happening, I just don’t know when. It needs to happen soon man, we need another KOF for next year. We’ve been on 3 years on the same stuff and while it’s been great, we’ve got to mix it up a little bit, you know. I have nothing against this game. But I feel that people, they’re just clamoring for a new one, you know."

What do you think, EventHubs? Could we be hearing more about the next King of Fighters fighting game very soon?

Source: Cybernetix forums (via KOFKoucha). Image credit: SNK Playmore.

At the beginning of the month SNK playmore registered a new trademark for “KOF” with the Japanese Patent and Trademark office. It was filed under class 9 (video games), 28 (accessories and parts for video game machines) and 41 (online games).

SNK already had a “KOF” trademark registered, but it was bound to an old logo. Yet, it’s expiration far in the future (2018) so this isn’t a renewal of that one, and is probably for something entirely new.

Considering the recent trends of releasing sequels and reboots of popular franchises using only acronyms as the title, it’s quite likely that we’re looking at that kind of possibility.

The recent announcement of the mobile game The Rhythm of Fighters may have left fans a little disgruntled, but if this indicates a new King of Fighters game in development, it could save the day, especially since the trademark makes no mention of mobile platforms.

kof-xii-roster.jpg

Read originals here :

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jul/05/king-fighters-12-13-producer-masaaki-kukino-back-snk-playmore-after-leaving-2010-next-kof-game-currently-development/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/30/snk-trademarks-kof-is-a-new-the-king-of-fighters-incoming/

Also, thanks to this guy here for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived