Alan Wake

SchizoidFreud

screens not from the 360 version :eyebrow2:

Q: Why release a trailer now?

A: The inspiration behind making this trailer was to see it alongside the Max Payne movie premiere on the silver screen, and we wanted a movie feel to it. That’s also the reason it’s in “CinemaScope” 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Besides, I think we owed it to our fans :love:.

Q: Is this from the game engine?

A: With the exception of title screens (Remedy/MGS/Alan Wake), it’s all from the game engine. The depth-of-field effects have been added as a post-process to enhance the visual storytelling.

SCREENSHOTS:

Q: What platform was used?

A: PC. The shots were taken in 1080p resolution (using 4xMSAA) and scaled down to 720p for web release. We are only releasing a few shots, and we wanted these to be usable for print purposes as well, therefore the higher resolution. The game looks very good on Xbox360 too but only runs in 720p.

Q: There’s cool Depth-of-Field in the Cabin shot, is this real time?

A: That shot is from the Cinematic Trailer. We intend to use DOF effects to enhance storytelling in the in-game cinematics, but (at least at the moment ) it is done as an offline post process. Otherwise that image is fully rendered by the game engine.

btw looks like the gfx got downgraded

I think its just a case of them not being completely honest about their earlier screenshots :P

Its a good thing the setting makes up for the slightly lacking texture detail. MGS this isn't.

AW had 4 clear goals for the design:

1) Psychological action thriller

2) Introduces light as a part of the new gameplay mechanic

3) A movie like story, set in a big, free roam environment

4) Must score 9+ from reviews

- No set release date. They'll work for as long as they feel they need to. Quality is the highest priority.

- Remedy consists of only 30 people. (They outsource a lot)

- They couldn't find a suitable engine, so they made their own.

- Their SDK are so flexible that they can test all changes on both platforms as soon as they are made.

- They've taken 40 000 pictures for the game in the northwest US. They might take antoher 40 000 before they are done.

- Story is told like a TV-series, where doing missions advances the plot. Some "episodes" end in cliffhangers, others are slower paced and geared towards character development and showing Alan's past. They want to get that "Just one more episode" addiction in the game.

- The script for Max Payne 2 was 650 pages long (with a page for every mintue of action in the game). The script for AW will be multiple times longer.

- The plot in AW is tied to episodes, but the world isn't. You'll be able to wander around Bright Falls freely and without any artificial rush, but the story won't advance if you just roam the forests aimlessly.

- Lots of exploring and talking to other people can reveal surprising secrets.

- A strong light vs dark theme. A setting sun means bad news for mr Wake. At night you have to find shelter or arm yourself. Light is the only weapon against the shadowy figures, since they are invulnerable in the dark. Too bad Alan is allergic to light (?).

- "What is real and what is just Alan's nightmare?"

- Battles will be desgined with "quality over quantity" in mind. They want the battles to feel special and exciting.

- "The furhter the 'first season of Alan Wake' progresses, the longer the night for the writer becomes"

Yeah, 360 and PC are enough, covers the majority of audience out there.

Great trailer, and I agree, I am waiting for this as much as I'm waiting for Heavy rain. This will be my first horror game. :D (yes I am a phattu :O)

Edited by shockwave

Ya I would agree here. Graphics are nothing like promised by first screenhots. To be honest, there is just nothing which isnt done by many other games. Yes the atmospheric feel is there, but thats about it. It gives me DiRT or Pure type feel in graphics, with pine trees and a bit low-texture mountain sides. I know its not an accurate comparison, but it just gave me that feel. The grass and small trees look like from Tomb Raider Legend.

Yes you might laugh on my comparison, but I would leave them at that. :P

I am disappointed. I did see the trailer too and I agree that it looks a bit better there because of the atmosphere but overall its not a graphical achievement. And I suspect graphics were downgraded to better accommodate 360 and older PCs.

Agreed. Story looks promising. Setting reminds me of the first Blair Witch game - scared me to no end. If that environment is done through game engine then :shock3:

The character models look good - but not ground breaking.

Was that the one with Sam Neil as the writer Sutter Cane? (SP?)

I was looking through IMDB and it seems we're both remembering it wrong. Sutter Cane was a character from Sam Neill's book. The writer played by Neill went by the name of John Trent.