The Old Cricket Thread

vinitwins

WC T20  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Philander is awful too and he was tampering the ball also. They should've given Parnell a go. In fact, Philander should've been banned for this match. It could prove to be blessing in disguise but no more match after and poor Parnell had to sit out.

Philander is only helpful in lively conditions..On flat pitches he's useless...

this article illustrates why we've been so poor in away tests (& chushant always) --

Wow :majesty: Way to completely spin the article which is extremely positive and praises Dhoni. Give the chance to the f**king team, it is like you have written them off completely.

Athek, it's title change time man. Enough of this BS.

Wow :majesty: Way to completely spin the article which is extremely positive and praises Dhoni. Give the chance to the f**king team, it is like you have written them off completely.

Athek, it's title change time man. Enough of this BS.

i didnt mean the whole article. :doh:

i thought ppl would have the comprehension to read it fully & get the point but let me pick out the pertinent quotes for the lazier/slower ones --

"To start off with, it was very difficult to convince him [ishant]," Dhoni said. "When he first came on to bowl, I asked him to bowl short, and he turned the other way. Then I set the field for him so that he couldn't even think of bowling up. So the strategy was to give him a field so he is forced to bowl the length that I wanted him to bowl.

Duncan definitely wants to try everything, and he wants the bowlers to bowl short also. We have been trying to convince our bowlers to bowl a few bouncers. At times we had this problem in South Africa and in New Zealand that we bowled the first 10 overs without bowling a single bouncer.

At times it's not the bouncer that gets you the wicket but what happens after the bouncer that can actually get you wickets. At times it becomes difficult to make them understand even if you are saying it in simple words.

Dhoni's comments may not show the bowlers' intelligence in great light

& my comments was not a criticism of dhoni but the bowlers who after 50+ tests dont know that much also. every casual viewer also knows that a bouncer once in a while is a good move

Edited by Chewie

india were lucky that eng were intent on harakiri coz even the way that short ball plan was executed was ridiculous. bowling each & every delivery at same length makes it like a bowling machine. a good side would've just left the ball alone & wait for the bowler to tire. the short ball should be used as a surprise once ever 2 overs or so. bowling bouncers is usually only effective when mixed up with full length deliveries, slower balls, etc.. eng were seriously dumb there.

This part I objected. This was not bowler's decision, Dhoni forced them to ball that way. And Johnson bowled mostly bouncer barrage and England shat in their pants. Also, there too, most of them were caught hooking or pulling (Trott, KP, and few others) It is their weakness, and finally we exploited it. They could have left the balls in Ashes and now too, but leaving bouncers is also a skill and requires bravery. That pitch was having variable bounce and it was a very old ball, so they were not sure which one will bounce and which one will not, so leaving was difficult option. New ball would have bounced more evenly and then they might have left it properly, but Dhoni persisted with old ball and bouncer barrage strategy.

This article explains it a lot better:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/story/762963.html

i agree with the strategy totally. it was also very smart of msd to do it with old ball.. but felt the execution could've been better/smarter. it's another thing that eng played it badly but any other team incl. india wouldnt have given it away like that when 6 out of 6 balls are bouncers. it was a ego thing with the english. leaving bouncers is much easier when 6 out of 6 are the same length. vijay did it very well even when eng bowlers mixed it up. he would've 0 problem if all 6 were. rahane in 1st innings scored off them when plunkett was doing the same round the wicket bouncer barrage as there was no surprise element to them & he could set himself up to play it.

pls lets not compare MJ's 150kmph to chushant's 135-139 kmph. after 140+ every increase in speed becomes exponentially harder to play. even KP said that diff between 135 & 140 isnt as much as diff between 145 & 150 ie. its not linear

my problem is with chushant not having the intelligence to mix it up. 2 whole hours on morning nothing happened but still he didnt think of bowling an odd bouncer ?? even after dhoni told him to he had to be forced into it. why does he need to be spoon fed?

in LOI's we keep wondering why our bowlers dont try yorkers occassionally. i always though its coz they dont know how but now after reading this article it seems to me it's possibly just that the bowlers dont think of it

remember that faulkner 30 run over where chushant (& later vinay kumar) kept bowling the same length & kept getting hit?

i cant remember did bowlers try odd bouncer in wellington & joburg?

Edited by Chewie

my problem is with chushant not having the intelligence to mix it up. 2 whole hours on morning nothing happened but still he didnt think of bowling an odd bouncer ?? even after dhoni told him to he had to be forced into it. why does he need to be spoon fed?

Chushant is a dumb guy. Thank god Dhoni suddenly became aggressive and forced him to ball bouncers. He doesn't even know his own strength and weakness. Dhoni had become too passive, almost never even suggesting anything to bowlers. Now he is starting to force the issue, and it is kind of good. He believes more in the process rather than forcing the issue. But enough is enough now, these guys need to be spoon fed so be it.

that is my point. somewhere else i read where bhuvi said that dhoni allows us to do our own thing, set fields, make plans etc & tells them only if i feel something is wrong then i'll let you know.

while this working style is fine with a zak who has (had?) some intelligence or even a bhuvi who seems to be intelligent i think it's wrong with an inexperienced attack. msd needs to become proactive which on the evidence of last 2 tests he finally seems to be

Ishant doesn't even bowl at 135 kmph... he generally bowls between 125-130 kmph. I didn't expect him to be succesful bowling short, but he was and probably he'll find some wickets like that in the next match as well. England are really terrible at the moment.

This is nowhere close to Mitchell Johnson though. This is what 150 kmph bouncers can do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hcZWVb7PI

did any of you guys see virat cussing at someone while celebrating with team at fall of joe roots wicket? :lol:

video please...

Ishant is pretty dumb..He should just stick to test cricket..

We should play Varun Aaron next game in place of Shami...Bounce em out again...

Ishant is pretty dumb..He should just stick to test cricket..

What does this even mean???

You need thinking bowlers for Test cricket. Bowlers have to actively work towards taking wickets. There's no free wickets like in limited over cricket.

Ishant used to bowl 140± easily few months back. So did Shami. Now both struggle to bowl 135. Burnout seems to be the only reason.

2 changes should be done. Aaron in for Shami and Ashwin in for binny. If wicket is green again then play Shami and Aaron together.

Sent from my Nexus 4

What does this even mean???

You need thinking bowlers for Test cricket. Bowlers have to actively work towards taking wickets. There's no free wickets like in limited over cricket.

Means , u need to do lot of variations in ODI's , specially in India...

Which he is incapable of doing..

Personally if u dont consider the lords performance , i dont want him in the team at all..but thats not gonna happen , so if he does play he should just play test cricket..

Everybody has lots of variations these days. ODI cricket doesn't even need much. You could get wickets from halfvolleys and long hops. So many part timers have ended up with a bagful of wickets.

Test cricket needs bowlers that are Test match quality. The ones who can get 20 wickets in a little over 2 daya. If the bowling is bad, the batsmen will still hit them for over 5 an over.

• AtheK changed the title to The Old Cricket Thread
  • AtheK locked this topic