Unreal Tournament

ScrewyAurum

Unreal Tournament

ETA: TBA

Platforms: Linux, PC, and Mac

Genre: FPS (Free to play)

Epic Games is making a new Unreal Tournament game, they announced today on their livestream. It'll be developed in collaboration with fans, and it'll be free.

That's not free-to-play, Epic promises. Free. No microtransactions here—Epic's cut will come from the community marketplace, where fans can sell what they make in the new Unreal Tournament, and Epic will take a cut.

"We're planning on doing it in close collaboration with you, the community," Epic's Steve Polge said on stream.

It'll be out for Linux, PC, and Mac. There's no game just yet—when Epic says they're making it with fans, they really mean that they're making it with fans.

"We're basically starting today," said Epic's David Spalinski.

Anyone interested in working on the game can sign up and participate on the Unreal website.

Fans with an Unreal Engine 4 subscription can participate in the crowdsourced development the next Unreal Tournament, with fan-created mods playing an integral role in its life post-launch. Epic intends to create a marketplace where creators can give away or sell their custom content. Epic's cut from those sales is what will pay for the game.

Unreal_Engine_4_logo_620x380.jpg

Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds.

F2P was the only model that was gonna work for this. I doubt it could have had a sustainable population @ 50 bucks a pop. If they do it right, it could be awesome.

Also it better have Facing Worlds. \o/

I can see this either hitting all the right notes or missing all the marks and living with the infamy of, worst UT released.

Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds. Facing Worlds.

This so much!

Oh man good old UT... possibly the best MP game ever made. So much fun was had on college/office LAN!

My enthusiasm for this was deflated a bit when they mentioned that they're literally just starting out on the project. That means we have a long wait before we get anything playable. I think Epic will try to do the right thing by players given that they're asking for an enormous amount of community involvement in the process. I'm also guessing they will try to earn money from the UGC market place, which could mean it might not come to Steam.

My enthusiasm for this was deflated a bit when they mentioned that they're literally just starting out on the project. That means we have a long wait before we get anything playable. I think Epic will try to do the right thing by players given that they're asking for an enormous amount of community involvement in the process. I'm also guessing they will try to earn money from the UGC market place, which could mean it might not come to Steam.

You are the most pessimistic gamer I have ever come across.

You are the most pessimistic gamer I have ever come across.

I don't know how you got pessimism from that. I'm actually fairly excited about the game and I've been wanting a return to arena style shooters for eons now. I'd just be a lot more excited if the game was 2 months away rather than 2 years away.

Archived