PS3 FAQ

CarbonCore

i was an 'okay regular' poster on the old forums but just never got down to posting here (you may remember me as the guy who posted that he had msg5 :P typo :dance: . Following is my problem all help is greatly appreciated:

I bought my ps3 from japan towards the end of 06.

it worked fine and i have been using it regularly.

two days ago it stopped reading discs for a bit but started reading them again. Yesterday it totally stopped reading any discs whatsoever. belive me when i say that i am unhappy.

how can I get it fixed?

i know Sony India cannot help, i called them up and they said that they only did straight replaces and only for those with the india warranty i.e. bought in india.

grey places like palika will be my last resort.

thanks.

Under official Sony warranty terms, you will have to send the console back to someone in Japan along with a copy of the bill. That person will have to "carry-in" the console to the Sony service center. (You cant courier it directly to the service center, they wont accept it.) The service center will repair/replace the console and hand it over to the person who carried it in. That person will have to courier the console back to you.

I shudder to think of the courier charges :)

And the Spin-Of-Death rumblings are starting to gain force. Can you specify what firmware your console is using and what game/movie you were playing when the failure occurred ?

• 3 months later...

n00b question - PS3 not giving any display

I tested my PS3 on various LCD tvs at the showrooms using "their" HDMI cable. It was working flawlessly there. Finally I picked up a Sony tv and tried to connect my PS3 to it using the PS3 AV cable (NOT the component one). BUT the screen is totally blank and the TV doesnt display a thing.

Am not sure of the reason and am not able to check if its the cable that has gone wrong or the resolution is set very high or what. I just cant figure out.

some specs (if it helps in solving the problem) -

my PS3 is a 80GB NTSC/U console

my TV is Sony V series bought from India - so its primarily PAL

Connect the AV cables and hold down the On button for a few secs,it will beep a few times and the PS3 will restart..and it will be reset to the lowest res!!!

I tested my PS3 on various LCD tvs at the showrooms using "their" HDMI cable. It was working flawlessly there. Finally I picked up a Sony tv and tried to connect my PS3 to it using the PS3 AV cable (NOT the component one). BUT the screen is totally blank and the TV doesnt display a thing.

Am not sure of the reason and am not able to check if its the cable that has gone wrong or the resolution is set very high or what. I just cant figure out.

These problems sometimes have a very simple solution.

Like maybe your TV is still on TV mode and not on AV1.

dude dont feather touch just keep it presses even if it starts no issue....

Still not happening

This :wallbash: is :wallbash: sooo :wallbash: frustrating :wallbash:

PS3 + Sony 32" V series + GT5:P - appropriate cable = most pitiable thing in the world

@ceoshubham: no its not the channel setting.

Dude this isnt SDTV, he is talking about LCD.

plus he doesnt have DVI port in it..

Why dont u buy a HDMI cable and try out??

A cheap one will cost u 200 bucks.

Am looking for one. Sony f**kers dont stock it here in chennai. They even had trouble doing the demo of my PS3 when i took it to the showroom, cause they had "only one" HDMI cable in the whole goddam showroom.

Dude, I have heard Sonys own HDMI arent as good as many other available in market...

chk out at other places for other reliable HDMI cables..!!

Dude this isnt SDTV, he is talking about LCD.

plus he doesnt have DVI port in it..

I did not mean that.I meant changing the source to watever cable he has connected the PS3 to.

And well sony HDMI works fine for me.

He must have bought those devilishly expensive gold plated RS3000 cables.

I got mine from US two for 12$ :majesty: .. Picked it from frys on some sale...

One for my HTS and one for my PS3...

Cant get a better deal

How to Add an External Hard Drive to a Playstation 3

If you have the 20 gigabyte PS3, which is no longer produced, you may want to have a bigger hard drive. It was quickly found out that you can replace the internal hard drive in it using a standard laptop hard drive, but they are overly priced due to their size. It has been figured out how to add an external hard drive (which are much cheaper) to the Playstation 3 and still get all the benefits of having it all internal.

Steps

1. Purchase your external hard drive. Most hard drives will do. Some have incompatibilities. Western Digital is one that works fine.

2. Once you have your external hard drive is purchased, use the USB cord provided to connect it to a COMPUTER (not your Playstation 3).

* IMPORTANT* Once your external hard drive is connected to your computer, go to START, CONTROL PANEL, ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, COMPUTER MANAGEMENT, and select DISK MANAGER on the left hand side options. Select the external drive and read the "File System" type. If it says "NTFS", right click the disk and select "Delete Partition".

3. A. The reason you needed to delete the partition is because it MUST be FAT32. However, Windows XP will not partition a hard drive into FAT32. You must instead go to DOWNLOAD.COM and search for "Swiss Knife". Download the program that comes up (CompuApps SwissKnife V3 x.xx) and install it when the download completes. Once the install is complete, run the application and select the external hard drive you need to partition. On the top select the following settings: (Partition Type: Primary), (File System: FAT32), and (Volume Label: [whatever you want]). Then at the bottom, select "Create" and you're done.

4. Alternatively you can format using the command prompt: format h: /FS:FAT32 (This works if you are running Windows Server 2003.)

5. If you are on Mac OS X, open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app, pick the drive, and click on the 'Erase' tab. Pick 'MS-DOS (FAT)' for the file system type, and click on the 'Erase' button. This will reformat the drive in FAT-32.

6. Once you are SURE the partition is FAT32, open "My Computer" and double-click on your empty external hard drive. Now, you will want to create a folder system identical to that on the Playstation 3. Right click to create a new folder and name the first folder "Photo". Do this for "Music", "Video" and "Game". When you are finished, you should have 4 folders total in the hard drive. Each folder should (at this point) be empty.

7. Now, you can load all the music you want into your music folder, all the video you want into your video folder, and all the photos you want into your photo folder. Your game folder should still be empty.

8. At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, left click the green arrow in your icons list and select "Safely remove..." Once your computer tells you "XXX drive can now be safely removed", unplug the hard drive from your computer.

9. Now, you can connect the hard drive to your Playstation 3 and use the extra space to save information and access all your extra content saved on your external hard drive.

10. Congratulations, you now have turned your 20, 60, or 80 gigabyte Playstation 3 into a much larger one for all your multi-media needs. Enjoy!

how dou guys connect u r ps3's?i mean do u directly plug it into the wall or use a surge protector. i just wanted to know. i have ps3 from singapore, so is it safe to plug it directly into the switch?

You can directly plug the PS3 into AC source. But it is recommended to plug it via UPS which outputs smooth(sinusoidal) AC. One must have PS3 plugged to UPS while FW update if not always.

14image01.gif

Don't mention this to Sony customer support if you are seeking warranty coverage(for whatever reason) as this may void your warranty.

How to Add an External Hard Drive to a Playstation 3

If you have the 20 gigabyte PS3, which is no longer produced, you may want to have a bigger hard drive. It was quickly found out that you can replace the internal hard drive in it using a standard laptop hard drive, but they are overly priced due to their size. It has been figured out how to add an external hard drive (which are much cheaper) to the Playstation 3 and still get all the benefits of having it all internal.

Steps

1. Purchase your external hard drive. Most hard drives will do. Some have incompatibilities. Western Digital is one that works fine.

2. Once you have your external hard drive is purchased, use the USB cord provided to connect it to a COMPUTER (not your Playstation 3).

* IMPORTANT* Once your external hard drive is connected to your computer, go to START, CONTROL PANEL, ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, COMPUTER MANAGEMENT, and select DISK MANAGER on the left hand side options. Select the external drive and read the "File System" type. If it says "NTFS", right click the disk and select "Delete Partition".

3. A. The reason you needed to delete the partition is because it MUST be FAT32. However, Windows XP will not partition a hard drive into FAT32. You must instead go to DOWNLOAD.COM and search for "Swiss Knife". Download the program that comes up (CompuApps SwissKnife V3 x.xx) and install it when the download completes. Once the install is complete, run the application and select the external hard drive you need to partition. On the top select the following settings: (Partition Type: Primary), (File System: FAT32), and (Volume Label: [whatever you want]). Then at the bottom, select "Create" and you're done.

4. Alternatively you can format using the command prompt: format h: /FS:FAT32 (This works if you are running Windows Server 2003.)

5. If you are on Mac OS X, open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app, pick the drive, and click on the 'Erase' tab. Pick 'MS-DOS (FAT)' for the file system type, and click on the 'Erase' button. This will reformat the drive in FAT-32.

6. Once you are SURE the partition is FAT32, open "My Computer" and double-click on your empty external hard drive. Now, you will want to create a folder system identical to that on the Playstation 3. Right click to create a new folder and name the first folder "Photo". Do this for "Music", "Video" and "Game". When you are finished, you should have 4 folders total in the hard drive. Each folder should (at this point) be empty.

7. Now, you can load all the music you want into your music folder, all the video you want into your video folder, and all the photos you want into your photo folder. Your game folder should still be empty.

8. At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, left click the green arrow in your icons list and select "Safely remove..." Once your computer tells you "XXX drive can now be safely removed", unplug the hard drive from your computer.

9. Now, you can connect the hard drive to your Playstation 3 and use the extra space to save information and access all your extra content saved on your external hard drive.

10. Congratulations, you now have turned your 20, 60, or 80 gigabyte Playstation 3 into a much larger one for all your multi-media needs. Enjoy!

thanks..this is what i was finding...

Archived