Everything that's wrong with Gaming today!

Walker

Read this and thought it's something so true. It does start with AC: Unity but it's really about everything wrong with gaming today.

If Assassin’s Creed Unity represents the future direction of AAA video games, I seriously question the future health and legitimacy of this industry.

These are 8 real things I experienced within Assassin’s Creed Unity’s first 2-3 hours:

• I tried to open a treasure chest, but was told I needed the Assassin’s Creed companion app to open it, with no additional information or context.

• I tried to open another treasure chest, and was told I needed to sign up for Assassin’s Creed Initiates to open it.

• I tried to open a third treasure chest, and was told I needed to upgrade Arno’s lockpicking skill.

• I upgraded Arno’s lockpicking skill, and was told my skill level still wasn’t high enough to open that chest. I gave up.

• When I paused the game, the second option in the pause menu is an eStore that lets you spend real money on time-saving boosts, bonus in-game currency, and so-on.

• I saw a woman floating through the air.

• I heard the same line of dialogue 5 times during an early-game chase mission.

• I experienced my character flip all around on the side of a building instead of climb through the window like I wanted.

• None of the above includes subjective elements I found troublesome, including confusing and uninteresting “modern day” moments, trial and error mission design, and soulless NPCs.

This is a $60 video game set in revolutionary Paris that continually spams you to sign up for Ubisoft services via locked-away in-game content. This is a $60 video game that paces out unlockables and upgrades at the exact speed that Ubisoft wanted, but then offers to sell you “time savers.”

With all of this in mind, I still don’t necessarily disagree with Marty’s positive review. Unity’s vision of Paris is very impressive. Its story is interesting - I’m enjoying the game’s central intrigue. Plenty of the side missions are satisfying, especially the murder mysteries. My personal score would be lower, but the game has its merits.

But all the issues I outlined above are more than just disappointing - they’re dangerous. They’re undermining. As someone that truly loves the video game medium, they’re downright scary.

Master Chief Collection’s matchmaking is broken, and multiplayer requires a huge day one patch. Titanfall is dead. The PS4’s 2.0 firmware update continues to cause major problems. The days of going to a midnight launch event and coming home to experience pure launch day gaming bliss seem to be over.

I completely understand the need to up revenue per user above $60 for big-budget AAA games. This is a tough business to be in. But it has to be done in a way that doesn’t compromise the integrity of your gameplay, and doesn’t test the patience of your players. If you’re a game developer, and you care about the long term health and sustainability of this business, please do what you can to ensure we’re not creating the darkest timeline.

Source : http://uk.ign.com/blogs/jdavisign/2014/11/11/8-real-things-i-experienced-in-assassins-creed-unity/

Now launch days is yaaay got the game. Goes home to find 5gb patch needs to be downloaded on a 4mbps connection (or maybe FUP has screwed you over). Starts to download patch. Excitement dies. Falls asleep.

And this is now the norm. :rant:

Now launch days is yaaay got the game. Goes home to find 5gb patch needs to be downloaded on a 4mbps connection (or maybe FUP has screwed you over). Starts to download patch. Excitement dies. Falls asleep.

Nailed it.

And its all because of Digitalism.Aur karo digital digital :ack:

insert disc & play, those days are gone :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Nope, not unless you have Nintendo console and handheld. They live in a bubble and do their own thing which has some serious downsides, but you know when you put the disk in, you're gonna get a near flawless game that you can start playing in about 5 seconds.

Nintendo has very high standards when it comes to QA. They just wont let the game pass through submission if it has a single must fix issue.

I got Halo on day one, but didnt play it yet coz of the 20 gb patch. Left with 2 gb for 3 more days before the cycle resets.

^ so damn true.

Aside from Nintendo almost every game released needs a day one patch.

Like wtf are the testers and qa doing?

Nintendo has very high standards when it comes to QA. They just wont let the game pass through submission if it has a single must fix issue.

Isliya sala log game ka price kabhi cut karhi nahi hai....Qa aur tester log sara paisa hum log se nikal leta hai. :P

If

+100.. Bc I don't even feel like getting games on day 1 anymore. Better to maintain a 2-3week backlog so you get every new game that's out once all the major issues have resolved :fear:

The last game I got on day 1 was gta5 (before that tlou). Par Vo dono theek chali thi day 1 se hi, ND and Rockstar :salute:

Also all this preorder bonus bullshit and dlc crap needs to be abolished. Not to forget f2p microtransaction shite that's inserted in full price releases. Frankly I just want to be able to play a game without having to patch the crap out of it or having to shell out more to "enhance" the experience. Sure sometimes something escapes qa but you can't really expect me to believe that when every goddam game has a day one patch. I mean if its not finished dont release the damn thing till it is. But then why would devs / publishers stop doing this when there's people who fall for the same crap eveytime it happens.

Archived