Smash 'n' Survive

android

It's a really nice feeling to see you guys press forward with the development. Please make us all proud :)

And there are a few questions I'd like to ask you:

1.How long have you guys been working with the PS3 devkit?

2.Did you guys request Microsoft to send devkits to India or are planning to do so? (even though you have a US base now).

3.What is the rough production cost for your first title? (You need not answer this if you don't feel like it)

4.You said that the current consoles lack prowess in handling multiple AI algorithms. Have you guys been working this out with more experienced developers in the industry. Also, can you explain (not technically) to us the difference in performance between a console and a benchmark processor of your choice on the PC as far as handling multiple AI algorithms is concerned?

5.Are you guys planning for PC releases in the future? / If no, why?

Nice, I hope you guys really put the name of India on the Global game devs map.

What engine are you guys using? Is it in house? I suggest using some licensed engine like UE3 or similar, as that ensures a lot of quality in your final product.

Most of non-US devs like CD Projekt, the STALKER devs (forgot their name) go for in house engines, and the games then have a lot of bugs.

But some devs like CroTeam, people can fly and Crysis hit gold mines with their engines and deliver epic games.

I am not sure of UE licensing costs, but if they are less, do consider using it.

Since we are "rich" in simulation business, we have various engines at our organization which include Unreal 3 (not UDK), Gamebryo (With Lightspeed), Infernal Engine, Chrome Engine, Cry Engine 3, Vega Prime and our own Zengine and for the current game, we are using Infernal Engine. Engines are awesome thing but even if you have source and want to add a feature, it's nightmare to do that and that's the reason we've also written our engine but that's compatible with PC only and we extensively use it in our simulators (There are less failures because we control the deployed computers)

Why infernal man? It was the one used in Ghostbusters, right?

Anyways, you have CRYENGINE 3 :wOOtjumpy:

If you guys are "rich", I really hope you give us great games having good production values.

It's a really nice feeling to see you guys press forward with the development. Please make us all proud :)

And there are a few questions I'd like to ask you:

2.Did you guys request Microsoft to send devkits to India or are planning to do so? (even though you have a US base now).

3.What is the rough production cost for your first title? (You need not answer this if you don't feel like it)

4.You said that the current consoles lack prowess in handling multiple AI algorithms. Have you guys been working this out with more experienced developers in the industry. Also, can you explain (not technically) to us the difference in performance between a console and a benchmark processor of your choice on the PC as far as handling multiple AI algorithms is concerned?

Now this sounds like an interview but here we are:

Two years now. We completed Smash n Survive in January but since then, we are just doing playtesting and working on other titles.

MS denies to send devkits to India and South America. We've gone through our US office now and we are clear to get it through that now.

I can send this on PM.

Current consoles are not bad at handling multiple AI algorithms but how much is a question here. We tried to write progressive/procedural AI in our game but we started exhausting processing power because of that and it affected particle system and physics system. For creating a prototype, we can still do it on console but the minute you throw in other aspects, consoles start dying. We tried with best in the industry (Pierre who wrote Kynapse) and we know it doesn't work. If you have to move traffic and show moving traffic without any game play element, you can have 1000s of AI characters doing the same but give them multiple options and it'll die (Repeating again). An effective AI needs more natural understanding, more procedural or self learning ability and will surprise the player (Factor for the game designer will be to balance this) so 1000s people doing at least 100 different things, changing current state in altogether new 100 possibility on a trigger is the kind of AI which will rule the next generation of console.

I think current generation of PCs are capable of doing it whatever is expected now from a console but the problem remains that you develop something on PC and you become a helpdesk guy or have lot of conditions in your code to support the wide array of PC configurations available.

Yes but depends (Leaving it open)

Why infernal man? It was the one used in Ghostbusters, right?

Anyways, you have CRYENGINE 3 :wOOtjumpy:

If you guys are "rich", I really hope you give us great games having good production values.

We are not rich, our parent company is so we have possibility of selecting any (but V2G is a poor company so we chose the cheapest one).

CE3 is not great (let me tell you that) because whatever they've achieved, not everything is available in engine or you need to sweat a lot to get them working. Crytek is a studio who is more focused on releasing games than engine. You can easily guess this by counting the number of games which came in the market and were using CE3.

Yes Infernal which was used in Ghostbusters.

I say do not do anything for PC till you guys get established. PC piracy is very rampant and can put down lot of game devs who spent their efforts and money but in the end the sales are quite low due to faggots pirating the game.

And about AI, how was GTA 4 able to do it? It had lots of people doing random things.

Also, Far Cry 2 devs once said that they didn't put wild animals in FC 2 because they will end up eating all herbivores and they will die as well. How true is that?

RDR had it covered.

Now this sounds like an interview but here we are:

Two years now. We completed Smash n Survive in January but since then, we are just doing playtesting and working on other titles.

MS denies to send devkits to India and South America. We've gone through our US office now and we are clear to get it through that now.

I can send this on PM.

Current consoles are not bad at handling multiple AI algorithms but how much is a question here. We tried to write progressive/procedural AI in our game but we started exhausting processing power because of that and it affected particle system and physics system. For creating a prototype, we can still do it on console but the minute you throw in other aspects, consoles start dying. We tried with best in the industry (Pierre who wrote Kynapse) and we know it doesn't work. If you have to move traffic and show moving traffic without any game play element, you can have 1000s of AI characters doing the same but give them multiple options and it'll die (Repeating again). An effective AI needs more natural understanding, more procedural or self learning ability and will surprise the player (Factor for the game designer will be to balance this) so 1000s people doing at least 100 different things, changing current state in altogether new 100 possibility on a trigger is the kind of AI which will rule the next generation of console.

I think current generation of PCs are capable of doing it whatever is expected now from a console but the problem remains that you develop something on PC and you become a helpdesk guy or have lot of conditions in your code to support the wide array of PC configurations available.

Yes but depends (Leaving it open)

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions. And no, this isn't an interview of any sort, don't worry. I'm just being curious. Wish you all success in your endeavours. You'll find IVG immensely helpful to you as far as feedback and constructive discussion/criticism are concerned. And please do drop a PM! :P

Thanks.

I say do not do anything for PC till you guys get established. PC piracy is very rampant and can put down lot of game devs who spent their efforts and money but in the end the sales are quite low due to faggots pirating the game.

Got your point :)

And about AI, how was GTA 4 able to do it? It had lots of people doing random things.

Observe it again and you'll find that Euphoria is a combo of AI+Physics and even Physics is distance based (Will explain if needed). They are doing different things does not mean that all are AI controlled all the time.

Also, Far Cry 2 devs once said that they didn't put wild animals in FC 2 because they will end up eating all herbivores and they will die as well. How true is that?

Silly

RDR had it covered.

Because they are a better studio.

Would love to demonstrate how Euphoria works. Game Education should be free and that's the easiest way to encourage lot of people to get into the game development ;)

Would love to demonstrate how Euphoria works. Game Education should be free and that's the easiest way to encourage lot of people to get into the game development

+1 to this..

They are doing different things does not mean that all are AI controlled all the time.

Means their AI kicks in once the player is within the "AI kickin distance"? Else they are just doing some hardcoded stuff? If yes then that makes sense, as many older games had pedestrians trigger any conversations/animations only when player hit them, else they would just walk like robots.

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions. And no, this isn't an interview of any sort, don't worry. I'm just being curious. Wish you all success in your endeavours. You'll find IVG immensely helpful to you as far as feedback and constructive discussion/criticism are concerned. And please do drop a PM! :P

Thanks.

No worries, I was just kidding. Thanks buddy and this community is already giving good feedback.

+1 to this..

Means their AI kicks in once the player is within the "AI kickin distance"? Else they are just doing some hardcoded stuff? If yes then that makes sense, as many older games had pedestrians trigger any conversations/animations only when player hit them, else they would just walk like robots.

Yes but the element of surprise can't come with this and neither you can throw various possibilities because they'll always work from State A to State B thing. I'd like to go for State A to State B or State C or State D or remain in State A. Imagine the possibilities now.

Archived