PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

Once next series of cards comes up, is there any price drop in current series?

Not in India, if that is what you are expecting.

Although I expect the price to be knocked down by January -->February.

AMD Curaco Pro pictured, completely revamped cooler and shroud design

AMD-R7-260-Curacao-Pro-GPU-635x423.jpg

The Curacao chip would be replacing the current Radeon HD 7800 ‘Pitcairn’ based GPUs and would arrive in two variants, the XT and Pro.

You might notice the odd cooler on the graphics card which is unlike anything we have seen yet on an AMD graphics card. The Curacao Pro card is said to be branded as the R7-260 while our reports mention that it would be known as the R9-270 with the XT variant being called the AMD R9-270X.

As for the card itself, it takes a single 6-Pin connector which hints at a maximum TDP of 150W. The cooler unlike it Hawaii brother’s blower is a simple fan which pushes air towards a large circular aluminum fin heatsink. The cooler shroud is something new and has large cuts which act as exhaust. A picture of the back shows that the Curacao Pro card is still in engineering state so its possible that the cooler is not a final design. So far we have limited information regarding any of the Volcanic Islands GPU except the Hawaii R9-290X which is featuring a full fledged 512-bit 4 GB memory and a massive die to out beat its GK110 rival’s aka GeForce GTX Titan and GeForce GTX 780. Only three days are left to see how well that goes but there’s a definite chance that AMD has a true beast GPU on their hands.

Source: WCCFTech

AMD Hawaii GPU R9-290X ‘Volcanic Islands’ PCB Leaked – 512-Bit Interface and Massive Die Size?

AMD-Hawaii-R9-290X-PCB-635x421.jpg

We have already heard some minor details regarding the Hawaii R9-290X GPU that it will feature a die size larger than Tahiti yet 30% smaller than NVIDIA’s GK110 core. It will be based on a 28nm process and would be available to consumers in mid-October 2013. The tipster who forwarded us the story came with two pictures showcasing what could possibly be the next generation AMD Hawaii GPU known as the R9-290X and from the looks of it, it features a 512-bit interface and a die size of around 420-430mm2. Now i have heard reports about 384-bit bus on the flagship Hawaii GPU and this seems to contradict those reports but from the looks of it, the picture seem alot more credible so i may take it as a conformation that Hawaii is going to be a beast in terms of performance. But no matter how legit this looks, take it with a grain of salt since and wait for official reveal that is going to happen just next week.

AMD Hawaii R9-290X GPU Benchmark Resultsout, fastest GPU On the Planet With 1020 MHz Clock Speed

Titan-vs-R9-290X-635x421.jpg

Now we officially know more than that, the R9-290X features a massive die size and a 4 GB memory running across a 512-bit interface. The core clock for the graphics card at default is maintained at 1020 MHz while the memory operates at 1250 MHz. While we would get 4 GB in the reference models, the leaker has also said that we will see 6 GB custom models soon after launch.

The R9-290X is powered by 8-Pin plus 6-Pin connector configurations which denotes a 300W TDP design. The VRM features 5+1+1 phase design (5 Phase Core and 1 Phase memory). The card has two DVI, HDMI and a display port to provide display output. We have almost all the details regarding the Hawaii GPU except the clock speeds and the core configuration which includes stream processors, texture mapping units and raster operators.

In the three tested games, the Hawaii R9-290X came out faster than the GeForce GTX Titan and GeForce GTX 780 except CRYSIS 3. Expect more benchmarks soon!
keep-calm-and-deshi-deshi-basara.png
Source: WCCFTech
  • Like 1

better than GTX titan ?? same price range i suppose but if its cheaper i still wont be able to afford it!! :samui:

Yes, even with unoptimised drivers the performance is equivalent or over the TITAN and GTX780.

Also, ~$300 cheaper than the TITAN, same price or maybe slightly cheaper than the GTX780.

TITAN is more like a brand. Single piece (like limited edition stuff).

It was a long unfulfilled check-box in nVidia's list of TO-DO. Have an extremely premium product as the flagship.

Most chances you will see the price reduce a little but production will be full-blast, pieces that do not make the cut will be rebadged as more mainstream products / families.

Lets see what they come up with. I am not gonna buy the top end cards,i am looking for something in the range of 20-22. Currently,gtx 760 is there. Lets see whether amd comes up with a card in that range which performs better. I am gonna start building my pc in december.