Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

I will. Although now that I know the story, I doubt it will hold the same sway.

About the spoiler thing...nah..not fair..you see, LOTR's universe was more than 60 yrs old when the first movie came out but how many knew what a Hobbit was before 2001's fellowship came along?

well... Gatsby is taught in classes at different levels, so that is that. But yeah, i see the point.

also, lol hobbits.

lotr is sad. no, not emotions, just the whole story. Good for naps though.

^ Good for those convent kids.

We had Homer's Iliad (super abridged ofc) as our English supplementary course ware. Treasure Island & The Moonstone before that.

Wouldn't know about the LOTR books...a friend said he'd finish them after majoring in the English language a short while after he started on them. Heard the prose sounds archaic.....maybe to bestow a sense of ancient, mystic grandeur on the characters and story therein.

Would like to read one day. I do enjoy fantasy from time to time.

Well did I write any thing contrary?

Gatsby is a course material not only in higher studies but also in high school (atlest in america- not for nothing it is considered to be us' best literary work), meaning much more recognition than lotr. And also homer's works. Though one can say that homer's epics, while not known per se, surely are not alien to an average person, due to the characters and mini plots that they contain. Cyclops, troy, Achilles, sindbad (1001 nights took inspiration from here) etc that have been used in countless other media.

P.S. For what it is worth, Mahabharata kicks Iliad and Odeyssey's a*s in all ways imaginable, not because the latter(s) are bad, but because the former is just so (literally and figuratively) Epic. Most people have only fly by night books' experiences of Mahabharata. Penned and interpreted by a competent author, and it has no competition.

^ Good for those convent kids.

We had Homer's Iliad (super abridged ofc) as our English supplementary course ware. Treasure Island & The Moonstone before that.

Wouldn't know about the LOTR books...a friend said he'd finish them after majoring in the English language a short while after he started on them. Heard the prose sounds archaic.....maybe to bestow a sense of ancient, mystic grandeur on the characters and story therein.

Would like to read one day. I do enjoy fantasy from time to time.

Well did I write any thing contrary?

P.S. For what it is worth, Mahabharata kicks Iliad and Odeyssey's a*s in all ways imaginable, not because the latter(s) are bad, but because the former is just so (literally and figuratively) Epic. Most people have only fly by night books' experiences of Mahabharata. Penned and interpreted by a competent author, and it has no competition.

Ahh... you didn't. I should've put an emoticon after the convent kids part to signal the end of the thread of thought as well as to make it look less serious.

I just mentioned what we had for our courses and that I enjoy fantasy now and then....lol.

I couldn't care less which epic kicks which other epic's a*s though....I read and enjoyed illiad and that's that.

So: KickAss2/Elysium/Jobs

What should I go fo this weekend? Leaning towards KickAss2 atm.

Activate Kruger!!!

Elysium is getting severely polar views. Mostly on the content. Right wing sympathizers are accusing the movie of spreading a liberal propaganda. :lol::doh: what propaganda ?? It is all quite real (the themes).

Dumb yanks. It is obvious that the movie is a metaphorical presentation of USA/first world vis a vis the rest. Most just get queasy upon looking at a mirror.

Movie's gonna be sweet!