Linux discussion thread

Ne0

Someone, please help... I've been on Ubuntu 10.10 since release. My suspend stopped working after installation (fresh install). I tried three things (from net):

1. Reinstalled pmutils

2. installed hibernate - then my hibernate stopped working.

3. Read something about USB 3.0 but no clue as to how to get this to work.

No such problems in 10.04 :(

For the last one, do you have a USB 3.0 bay and USB 3.0 cable / device? afaik just having the bay is useless unless the device supports those transfer speeds.

Good that this thread is here.

How do I set up my office exchange mail on Evolution? How do I set up OCS on Empathy? I installed sipe and get the Office Communicator protocol in pidgin, but am not able to sign in to communicator.

Just tried Mint... it's even better for newbs than Ubuntu (Mint is based on Ubuntu). It also comes with most of the things that you'd otherwise have to download on your own.

I'm still facing the same issue - suspend does not work. I'll just wait this one out.

^AFAIK screen going haywire is normal if it doesn't last too long. I get it every other hibernate.

• 3 months later...

How can you have a hard time installing themes? Download a free pdf called pocket guide to Ubuntu - it's nice.

Here are a couple of other nice to have items:

Gimp. The latest version is 2.6. For the help use the synaptic package search - gimp-help-en.

Cairo Dock - lovely dock.

wine and playonlinux - to play Steam on Linux

dropbox - what i do is have different dropbox installs across all my win and ubuntu installations across separate systems. makes sharing some small docs a breeze.

calibre

Installing themes: http://linuxtree.blogspot.com/2010/10/12-themes-for-ubuntu-1010.html

There are certain errors though.

Do these in order, in the terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bisigi

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install bisigi-themes

Right click on your desktop ->change background->themes and u can select some there.

You can install other themes in this procedure. i.e adding the PPA repository and installing thru terminal. Install through terminal is always foolproof and recommended.

Coming to the distro question, I strongly recommend Linux Mint (Mint 9 xfce in particular) atleast ubuntu 10.10. But no fedora for beginners ! And there are new versions coming (ubuntu 11 natty and Mandriva 2011).

Edit: while adding some repositories terminal takes forever sometimes. In that case juz us "ctrl+z" and continue.

• 1 month later...

Good that someone bumped up this topic.

I'm facing an issue with my ubuntu installation. Whenever I start linux, I just get a black screen, no video display. Not sure whats happening. I've ATI 5850 card and I recently connected the dvi to the second slot in the same card. Could this be causing the issue ? Anyway, how do I get to make it work ? Please advice. I don't have the original iso image or any usb boot device :(

^^ Ah, again another d/l + install :(

Anyway, I'm thinking of deleting this one and instead go for a virtualBox approach. Will there be any significant difference ? I use linux only for programming purposes.

Anyway, I'm thinking of deleting this one and instead go for a virtualBox approach. Will there be any significant difference ? I use linux only for programming purposes.

Go for it. The virtualization technology have evolved and they are very stable now without major performance issues. Just backup a stable version of your Linux VHD and play with OS as you like. If your processor supports AMD-V or VT-X you wont even notice any difference in day-to-day tasks.

Archived