Linux discussion thread

Ne0

11.04 is not out yet, expected to be out today i guess. If u r not willing to try out the new version then go for 10.10. Here's a shiny 11.04 review:

http://www.pcpro.co....ntu-linux-11-04

Edit: I am not sure i am gonna like 11.04, there are some controversial changes

^^ What is AMD-V or VT-x ? My processor is intel i5 desktop edition. does it support them ?

Yes, Intel i5 supports processor assisted virtualization. If it doesn't showup in virtualbox you might have to enable in the motherboard BIOS settings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization.

Also, which is the most relatively stable linux version (10.10 or 11.04 ?) 11.04 is new, so a bit hesitant, which is the second best ?

I'd say Debian 6 if you are experienced with Linux but stability doesn't matter unless you are planning to use it as a production server. Just get your favorite distro(preferably with simple GUI as virtualbox might not support modern hardware based GUI effects), update os, grab all your libraries, software required for your programming and then backup the virtualbox vhd file. Even if your entire Linux goes kaput you can get back online with in few seconds.

1. Pick up Ubuntu 11.04 today (its up now :bigyellowgrin: ). If hesistant, go for 10.10 and install all your drivers, etc. Once stable, you can upgrade the same install to 11.04 at any time.

2. Saying that people who used Ubuntu are too lazy to try real Linux is like saying people who buy BMWs are too lazy to build their own cars!

Downloading Natty Narwhal now. Tomorrow will be a Ubuntu day!

^ Great to see people who know something about Linux.

Me... I'm struggling to get used to Unity - everything seems slower. I guess I'll have to start using the keyboard now :(

Btw Ubuntu remains great for newbs like me. The installer (Ubiquity?) :clapping:

For installation, I'll just load up the .iso in a virtual drive and choose the Wubi option.

Reasons for choosing Wubi are simple : no partitioning hassles, no Grub/Lilo hassles, no uninstall hassles and yet a bootable Linux install alongside Windows.

Installed 11.04. Loads fast, detected my USB Wifi adapter (great!).

Issues : Internet seemed painfully slow (think dial-up). And the music player did everything but play my files. No error but no sound either (sound test succeeded, so drivers are OK).

Haven't loaded it up again due to the initial disappointment... :thumbdown:

Installed 11.04. Loads fast, detected my USB Wifi adapter (great!).

Issues : Internet seemed painfully slow (think dial-up). And the music player did everything but play my files. No error but no sound either (sound test succeeded, so drivers are OK).

Haven't loaded it up again due to the initial disappointment... :thumbdown:

so I think I should stick to 10.10...

^ Great to see people who know something about Linux.

Me... I'm struggling to get used to Unity - everything seems slower. I guess I'll have to start using the keyboard now :(

Btw Ubuntu remains great for newbs like me. The installer (Ubiquity?) :clapping:

The is surely better....dude if youre a newbie to Linux then go for Ubuntu 10.10 only

The is surely better....dude if youre a newbie to Linux then go for Ubuntu 10.10 only

No not that much of a newb... I've used Ubuntu for many months now, and I've used at least 5 different distros. The most rock solid Ubuntu recently has to be 10.04 - the LTS release (I've used 10.04, 10.10, and 11.04).

11.04 will take some getting used to though. I've not had any problems with Banshee once I installed the plugins, and it plays everything back just fine. Banshee probably > Rhythmbox.

There is a known bug -> you can't install any .deb files using the Ubuntu software center (you will not be able to see installed programs there either). You either need to go through Synaptic or install (for e.g.) gdebi.

The little icon dock thing (top right of the screen) is far better than earlier versions (more compact).

No not that much of a newb... I've used Ubuntu for many months now, and I've used at least 5 different distros. The most rock solid Ubuntu recently has to be 10.04 - the LTS release (I've used 10.04, 10.10, and 11.04).

11.04 will take some getting used to though. I've not had any problems with Banshee once I installed the plugins, and it plays everything back just fine. Banshee probably > Rhythmbox.

There is a known bug -> you can't install any .deb files using the Ubuntu software center (you will not be able to see installed programs there either). You either need to go through Synaptic or install (for e.g.) gdebi.

The little icon dock thing (top right of the screen) is far better than earlier versions (more compact).

one cant install .deb files on Ubuntu using the software centre??

I hope they resolve their bug soon and I think ubuntu even dont recognize the wireless cards in laptop, this bug is till present in 11.04 or not?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived