Tech details

• OLED display – In exchange for the 5 inch LCD, the new Morpheus VR headset is equipped with a 5.7 inch 1920 X RGB X 1080 resolution OLED display. This new screen expands the field of view and enables low persistence, removing motion blur.
  • 120hz refresh rate – The previous refresh rate spec has been doubled for this new prototype, which means games for Morpheus can be rendered at 120fps. When combined with the OLED display’s high refresh rate and the power of PS4, Morpheus is able to output amazingly smooth visuals.
  • Super low latency – We know how critical low latency is to delivering a great VR experience, and we’ve reduced latency to less than 18ms, about half of what the first Morpheus prototype had. Low latency is critical to deliver a sense of presence, at the same time making the VR experience comfortable to players.
  • More accurate tracking- To make positional tracking more precise, we’ve added three LEDs to the headset – one on the front and two on the side – for a total of nine LEDs to support robust 360 degree tracking.
  • User-friendly design – We’ve made the Morpheus VR headset easier to put on and take off, with a single band design and quick release button. The headband supports the weight of the unit on the top of your head, so there is no pressure on your face. Other components have also been adjusted and configured to make the headset lighter, so that players do not find the headset cumbersome or uncomfortable to use.

IKw.png

sonyprojectmorpheus2.jpeg

Slated for release Q1 2016. Price TBA.

Titles/demos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgAoyFPGhC0

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 3

excellent preview from the top VR only site

Anyone Who Says ‘You Can’t Do VR on Console’ Hasn’t Tried Sony’s 2015 Morpheus Prototype

http://www.roadtovr.com/sony-2015-morpheus-prototype-gdc-2015-hands-on-preview-the-heist/

screens from the new london heist, magic controller demo. updated build of the deep.

London Heist:

The_London_Heist_2_1425419611-720x408.jp

The_London_Heist_3_1425419611-720x404.jp

The Deep:

The_Deep_2_1425419610-720x405.jpg

The_Deep_3_1425419611-720x404.jpg

Robots demo:

GDC_RENDER3_1425419651-720x404.jpg

GDC_RENDER2_1425419647-720x404.jpg

internal demos.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Lolygon with the subtle hate. Its smaller than Wii , its comparable to power brick size. But hey its more fun to say it will be a big annoyance to people right?

Bias much?

It's the most complementary article about PS VR that I've read. All good things about the product and its potential..

Biased about what ?

Their history of amazing article headlines. But thats most of gaming media in general , nothing can ever be all positive news.

It just seemed very weird that they take a negative aspect of the system (an external processing unit ) , and then throw it in the headline to make it sound like you need to buy a console-addon like a SEGA 32X or something.

Edited by Shadoken

I got very sick on the first day of PSX ( fking germ filled conventions ) , So I didn't want to risk getting nauseous or something. I actually already tried it at E3 and I have an occulus dev kit at work. fking Morpheus is the real deal , surreal experience and super comfy. Though I dont know how long term usage will be , I cant use occulus for a long time.

• Like 4

I got very sick on the first day of PSX ( fking germ filled conventions ) , So I didn't want to risk getting nauseous or something. I actually already tried it at E3 and I have an occulus dev kit at work. fking Morpheus is the real deal , surreal experience and super comfy. Though I dont know how long term usage will be , I cant use occulus for a long time.

Any info on pricing?