Wasteland 2

AtOmX

wasteland2logo.jpg

Developer(s) & Publisher(s) : inxile.png

Platform(s) : windows100x100.jpgnotebookdriversmacos100.jpgdownloadmq.jpg

Release date(s) : October 2013

Genre(s) : Role-playing video game

Wasteland 2 is an upcoming post-apocalyptic role-playing video game from Brian Fargo and InXile Entertainment. It will be the sequel to 1988's Wasteland. The funding for the game was put together through the Kickstarter crowdfunding platform during 42 hours. Wasteland 2 will be solely a computer game and there is no plan to bring it to any console or handheld platform.

Obsidian on board if Wasteland 2 Kickstarter hits $2.1M

Should the Wasteland 2 Kicjkstarter reach $2.1 million within the next 17 days remaining, Obisidian Entertainment along with the firm’s Chris Avellone will lend a hand with development.

Per RPS: “Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance,” said Avellone. “While I’ve worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor.”

“I have a history with the guys at Obsidian that dates back to the days of Interplay’s Black Isle studios,” offered inXile’s Brian Fargo. “Together we created some of the greatest RPG’s of all time, from Fallout 1 & 2 to titles like Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. It is great that we now have a chance to reunite on a project like Wasteland 2.”

src: VG247

Wasteland 2 reaches its $2.1 million goal; Planescape Torment’s Developer will help them after all

And they have finally made it. Wasteland 2′s Kickstarter campaign has reached $2.1 million USD, meaning that Planescape Torment’s developer and Obsidian’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Avellone, will help inXile in developing the game. As Brian Fargo had stated, Chris is going to help push the density and literary content of the game. Awesome news.

While the programming work will remain with us here at inXile, we are looking to use a host of tools that Obsidian has created which will help us get assets into the game faster. The faster we can implement and iterate on content, the deeper the game and the more varied choices the gamers can make.

src: dsogaming

Anyone else kickstart this (aside from me)?

@Afty: Apparently the 15 USD price is only valid till their kickstarter fundathon runs out.. Although this may not be a problem for a Billionaire such as yourself.. :|

Can anyone name a recent game which is similar to wasteland? I'm a bit confused about the turn-based-rpg part. And only 19 hr left to kickstart this.

EDIT: Pledged $15. Hopefully they will not disappoint. The main reason I pledged is because you don't find dev teams working for the fans. Most dev teams sell themselves to big shot companies and ruin the game.

Can anyone name a recent game which is similar to wasteland? I'm a bit confused about the turn-based-rpg part. And only 19 hr left to kickstart this.

EDIT: Pledged $15. Hopefully they will not disappoint. The main reason I pledged is because you don't find dev teams working for the fans. Most dev teams sell themselves to big shot companies and ruin the game.

unfortunately, there are no recent games like this. the genre is basically dead, which is why kickstarter is the only way a game like this was getting made. the closest you can say a modern game came to that kind of mechanics is dragon age when you pause after every party command. but even dragon age had a real time combat option in which the turns were hidden from the player if he wanted a more free flowing experience.

unfortunately, there are no recent games like this. the genre is basically dead, which is why kickstarter is the only way a game like this was getting made. the closest you can say a modern game came to that kind of mechanics is dragon age when you pause after every party command. but even dragon age had a real time combat option in which the turns were hidden from the player if he wanted a more free flowing experience.

Well, good enough. I'm looking forward to playing my first turned-based-RPG. :) Thanks for the info.

we got confused about the banner saga. what was the deal with only episode 1 of a trilogy at the basic level and episode 2 & 3 to people who pledged more? is the money being used for 1 game or 3 games? i'm glad they reached 700k though, so they have enough money to put in all the features, but this one i'll wait it out for a steam sale.

so far i've backed 3 of these. have to keep a check on things because it's an easy way to lose a lot of money :P

^^ Yea, that did seem a bit shady. I'm sure they'll have to finish part 1 first though, if only because a majority of the backers picked the first two tiers.

I also suspect they'll never get around to making parts 2 and 3 anyway, lol. I'm mean.

Shadowrun?

• 3 weeks later...

Wasteland 2 to be built on Unity, but not browser-based

Brian Fargo has announced that inXile will employ the Unity engine in developing Wasteland 2.

The tech is probably best-known as a solid browser engine, but it’s also extremely portable; Fargo has assured fans that Wasteland 2 will be an installed game, not online-only, and will look “detailed and rich“.

src: vg247

Archived