Gaming PCs

AtheK

The best value card has to be the upcoming 1GB 6950, which will probably be priced at par with, or even below the 560 (which it is better than). You won't lose much performance due to the 1GB difference in memory from the 2GB 6950, future-proofing is a different thing though.

It'll essentially be a high-end card in a mid-range price bracket, which is a stupid move by AMD, but I don't think anyone will be complaining - least of all me.

Guys is 3k for a new Palit- 9800GT Green (512MB GDDR3) good deal ? Palit has 2 yr warranty I believe.

Another one is XFX 8800GT 256MB Alpha Dog Edition for 1.5k plus shipping , have no idea about warranty & box/accessories etc. yet as its not mentioned.

Another one is XFX 8800GT 256MB Alpha Dog Edition for 1.5k plus shipping , have no idea about warranty & box/accessories etc. yet as its not mentioned.

Its good as a Physix card. Its based on G92 core (IIRC) which wasn't ground breaking and that 256 MB limits it a lot. Most game wont even run properly on High settings and high resolutions with only 256 MB Vram. And add to that its from XFX who have lot of heating issues, I wont get it.

Still, as a PhysX only card its good at that price.

PS: I know where you saw the above mentioned card for sell and I wanted to post this there, but didn't want to affect the seller's trade. I somehow lost control and posted a *head explodes* comment, but the seller took it positively, and I kinda ignored it.

Yes I'm buying it as a makeshift card , I'll get a 6850 or even a 6950 in few months once I'm able save up the funds.

I can use this for physx only later on , need to upgrade mobo for that as 650i Ultra only has one pci express slot. Will have to see if a Corsair HX620W can run two cards. :P

I think I'll go with new Palit instead as its somewhat closer to my beloved 8800GTX, as 256mb of the 8800GT is too low , kinda reminds me of my Ati X700 Pro back in 05 , it had 128mb vram. :P

Edited by Joy

Get the 9800 GT. Its got warranty and the performance isnt half bad. Plus since its a decent card you can take your time and do an upgrade later. Even postpone it for a while if needed. Where as with the 8800 you will still be looking for an upgrade to properly play something/anything.

Get the 9800 GT. Its got warranty and the performance isnt half bad. Plus since its a decent card you can take your time and do an upgrade later. Even postpone it for a while if needed. Where as with the 8800 you will still be looking for an upgrade to properly play something/anything.

You're still on an 8800 card right Afty?

Don't forget....... 1 GB :chair:

You're changing cards too? :(

Yes I'm buying it as a makeshift card , I'll get a 6850 or even a 6950 in few months once I'm able save up the funds.

I can use this for physx only later on , need to upgrade mobo for that as 650i Ultra only has one pci express slot. Will have to see if a Corsair HX620W can run two cards.

Do remember that Nvidia PhysX will not run if it detects you have ATI (non-nvidia card), so you wont be able to run 6850 and 8800/9800 GT together.

I am not sure about the recent updates, but this was the case about 4 months ago. There was a user created mod which enabled ATI card as main card and Nvidia card as PPU, but that too stopped working. So keep this in mind.