Dishonored

SRINI87

Arkane not interested in limiting player choice in Dishonored

“Dishonored is a game where the core stealth combat gameplay is complimented by all these powers that you have, and they layer together really well,” co-director Harvey Smith told GameInformer.

“It is one of our principal beliefs that you shouldn’t protect the player too much from seeing something awkward. Instead, it’s better to empower the player to do these things in a general purpose kind of way.

“Not at the right moment or in a particular scripted encounter, and so we don’t pre-plan some of the things that are the most fun in our games.”

Arkane’s fun-factor – the effects of player choice and customisation on gameplay – is something the studio is careful to nurture through its studio culture.

“We try to go out of our way to only hire people who understand and love the kind of games that we make,” Smith said.

“We aren’t just a game studio, we’re like very much focused on these immersive first person action games that have RPG features built into them.

“And by recruiting those kinds of people, and sharing that passion for those games, a lot of things immediately become easy, even across language barriers. Because you can point to something in Bioshock, or something in Far Cry 2, or something older in Underworld or System Shock. They love them for the same reasons and that immediately creates a bridge.”

RPG elements are becoming more prevalent through traditional vanilla genres, but Arkane doesn’t feel threatened by this trend.

“Hopefully people just keep on deepening the mechanics that are in those games,” Smith said.

“I think a synthesis is the ultimate experience for of us.”

src:VG247

Choose Your Path Through Dishonored

Find out how many ways you can approach a single encounter in our interactive narrative game based on Arkane's new project.

One of the most surprising and exciting things about Dishonored is the focus on simulation and choice that pervades nearly every element of the game. Any given situation can be approached from a number of different directions. Outright force, mobility, stealth, supernatural powers, gear, trickery, distraction, and more options are presented to the player. Every option can dramatically alter the outcome.

During our visit to Arkane Studios, we had the opportunity to see several early glimpses of the game in action. While a longer gameplay story demo offered an extended look at the game, we were also shown a shorter test area of the game used by the team to try out new ideas.

The encounter – a large room filled with guards – could be tackled from dozens of angles. We asked the developers to show us the short demo encounter repeatedly, and we ended up watching over 30 unique approaches to the battle – some of which skipped the battle altogether.

We've synthesized our time with the demo into a short narrative game. While the scenes in the story are pieced together from the many playthoughs we witnessed, every individual event or choice described is a real option already implemented into the early version of the game. In actuality, we've eliminated a number of the choices for the sake of brevity.

Click on the link below to choose your path through Dishonored. When you're done, simply choose another path to see the demo from a new perspective. Have fun!

choose your path

src:Gameinformer

Eurogamer Dishonored - Preview

"Choice and consequence" may be the action-adventure cliché du jour, but being able to define your own combat style through a suite of overlapping toys is definitely up there too. Pretty much ever since BioShock invited us to paralyse splicers with electricity and then whack 'em with a wrench, everyone's been at it.

Typically though, with great power comes great limitation, and in order to keep worlds like Rapture from descending into anarchy mechanically as well as narratively, designers have become jailors, building environments around you like gilded cages that lock you away from too much imagination.

So it's pretty interesting to sit down and watch Arkane Studios' Harvey Smith and Raf Colantonio play around with the tools you get in Dishonored, their first-person stealth game about an assassin with magical powers, because they insist they've taken the opposite approach.

ss_preview_newnewDishonored_ThugvsCityGuard.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

Whenever they introduce a new power or tool during development, within hours someone on the team invents an exploit that kind of breaks the game, like coupling the high-jumping ability with a partial-teleport to travel vast distances and meddle around in the rafters of the world. Rather than shut that option down again, they then think about how they can design levels that benefit from it.

ss_preview_2Dishonored_Tallboys.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

Dishonored is set in a retro-future industrial world where human civilisation is crowded onto four islands in a large and turbulent ocean, and this adventure takes place in the whaling city of Dunwall, ruled over by an oppressive regime against whom your character, a voiceless blank slate called Corvo, has a grudge to bear.

read more @ Eurogamer

Destructoid Preview

In conclusion: OMFG!

By merging the best elements of late-90s PC gaming with that of recent years, Arkane may very well have paved the path for something special. It’s a disservice to say the game combines the best elements of Half-Life 2, Thief and Bioshock, because that makes it sound like Arkane have been splicing up a Frankstein of a game.

What Dishonered is, is the work of auteurs. Artists who don’t comprise or settle for less than what they want to play. The passion and influences of the men at work on this title shine through in every detail of the world and combat. The influences bleed into Dishonored along with Antonov, Colantonio and Smith’s past projects that they carry with them, consciously or not.

What makes me happiest about Dishonored’s showing at QuakeCon is that it clearly was a slice of a functional game, and not some polished to death demo that left me clueless as to how all the pieces fit (*cough* BioShock Infinite *cough*). I can’t say enough good things about what I’ve seen of Dishonored and I can’t wait to see more.

Let me collect them bones and feed my rat friends, right frickin’ now, Arkane!

Why does EVERY screenshot looks like Red Steel 2? WTF.

Only to those who've played RS2.

i.e., you :bigyellowgrin:

This looks interesting though. I was wondering where Harvey Smith ran off to after Blacksite.

Archived