EA obtains exclusive rights to Star Wars

The Walt Disney Company and Electronic Arts have signed a multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish Star Wars games.

Deal will bring new Star Wars games to fans across the most popular gaming genres and platforms

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

GO EA. GO FROSTBITE 3. GO KOTOR3. GO BATTLEFRONT III. GO GO GO!

part of Activision, you really want activision in the helms on starwars ??

Raven Soft did the last iteration of the Jedi Knight games, they are the best bet in my opinion.

I am ok with this.

Lets face it, Bioware will be terrified of doing another Tortanic so most likely we will get another KotoR. And Dice and Visceral are both solid developers. Hopefully we get good games out of this.

Can I have Republic Command 2 please?

Good man.

Raven Soft did the last iteration of the Jedi Knight games, they are the best bet in my opinion.

they did solid work, but I also want to see some new spin in the whole starwars jedi knight series

they did solid work, but I also want to see some new spin in the whole starwars jedi knight series

Who would you like to see in their stead?

Who would you like to see in their stead?

The guys from 38 Studios (Kingdom of Amalur). Kingdom of Amalur have the right mix of action of RPG, the game work so seamlessly in both gamepad and keyboard that just playing the is so much of fun. The only thing I don't like of KOA is the art style, give me gritty witcher like art style with KOA gameplay in the jedi knight series

Archived