The Android Thread

pArth

^^ I will add details tomorrow as it has gotten late.

And how is this for rooting my phone?

Thanks for the response, Sire.

yeah, doomlord's toolkit is pretty famous I guess. Just make sure that you go through the last few pages to check that it's working fine for your particular phone model as the exploit that he uses is common across a ton of phones but some may have minor differences.

Okay, seeing there is no plug here for the number of dumb questions one can ask on this thread, here is my contribution

I own a SONY XPERIA go, recently it got updated to Jelly Bean and I want to root it, proper. So following questions

• Do I need to unlock the boot loader? If yes, then I went though SONY's guide of unlocking the same but when I saw the permission for my device, it said NO to unlocking the boot loader.
  • Can I go ahead with unlocking the boot loader even after my device states NO? If I will unlock the boot loader, will I void the warranty and will I forfeit any upcoming updates from official channels?
  • After unlocking boot loader, can I continue operating on SONY stock ROM or will I have to switch to a custom version?
  • The light sensor for regulating the AUTO brightness option does not work on my handset, is this a valid reason to RMA the device or no?

Thanks for going through my query and answering it, Cheers!

-To root, you don't need to unlock the bootloader. If you want to try different roms/kernels then you will have to.

-Official bootloader unlocking kills the track ID feature and your warranty, and no official software updates for your device.

-Any rom's fine.

-Do you really need that? It usually drains the battery, so good riddance :D

^^ auto brightness control feature might not be a must have and deemed a battery killer but the ambient light sensor can be put to several other nifty uses. e.g. I use it as one of the weighted inputs for my night mode detection tasker profile to see if I'm sleeping or not. I also use it to determine whether I'm driving in dark or not to switch modes for some of my other apps and profiles.

• Like 1

Gabru sir, since you are the brand ambassador of tasker, so I thot of coming to you for help. Can you create a tasker profile in which we can switch between 2g and 3g network depending upon location. Like when I reach home, 2g is activated and when I'm not at home then it's all 3g. I don't want to use battery hog gps to control this switch. Instead something that doesn't eat battery.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

A question for the Nexus 4 owners,

Do 720p vids play full screen on your device?, on mine some vids are played full screen while some others have black bars at the top and bottom, is this some case of my device resoultion being higher then the vid?

A question for the Nexus 4 owners,

Do 720p vids play full screen on your device?, on mine some vids are played full screen while some others have black bars at the top and bottom, is this some case of my device resoultion being higher then the vid?

No its a case of the aspect ratio of the video being different, nothing you can do about that .

Gabru sir, since you are the brand ambassador of tasker, so I thot of coming to you for help. Can you create a tasker profile in which we can switch between 2g and 3g network depending upon location. Like when I reach home, 2g is activated and when I'm not at home then it's all 3g. I don't want to use battery hog gps to control this switch. Instead something that doesn't eat battery. :) Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

use cell tower for your location calculation. Your phone doesn't need to much extra to use this method as it already sees the towers. For 2g/3g switching, I am not sure if there is an existing action within tasker. You might need to use a 3rd party plugin for that.

No its a case of the aspect ratio of the video being different, nothing you can do about that .

But in case of my previous phone (Note), the resolution was a slightly odd 1280x800 so all videos had black bars. With Note 2 having a standard 1280x720 resolution display, videos fill up maximum screen real estate.

HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S 4 Google Play edition Review - Nearly Nexus

by Brian Klug on June 26, 2013 1:00 PM EST

Source: AnandTech.

Choice – that's really what it comes down to. If you know what AOSP stands for without having to Google it, you probably want to buy the Google Play edition of whichever phone suits you most. If you don't care or don't know (which seems unlikely if you're an AnandTech reader and made it this far), or need an operator subsidy, the skinned versions of both phones offer a user experience arguably better suited to the masses. It's really that simple. That's the advice I'm sticking to, at least.

Gabru sir, since you are the brand ambassador of tasker, so I thot of coming to you for help. Can you create a tasker profile in which we can switch between 2g and 3g network depending upon location. Like when I reach home, 2g is activated and when I'm not at home then it's all 3g. I don't want to use battery hog gps to control this switch. Instead something that doesn't eat battery.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

As said before use cell towers for your location.

Then create a task with this option:aqu2ybu3.jpg

I use this switch when I connect to any Wifi.

Also put a variable to avoid running this task if you're in a call, cause then you'll disconnect the call. Highly irritating I say.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by kkapoorr