Best gaming router for use with airtel

_Krypton_

I have a few questions regarding the purchase of my next modem router . My budget is around 3k

1). What are my options . I just need one for gaming and some surfing . What qualities should i look for in that router apart from port forwarding features & QOS .

2). Is it preferable to get a modem and a router separately & use LAN connection to Ps4 directly through modem or can i get an all in one modem router and connect LAN through it to my Ps4 !

3). I know modems/routers hardly have an effect on the PINGS but to all the people getting pings below 15ms what modem/router are you using ?

Also what DNS settings are you using on your router ?

Thanks for the help guys .

1). What are my options . I just need one for gaming and some surfing . What qualities should i look for in that router apart from port forwarding features & QOS .

What is the highest rating it is compatible with, the newer the rating, the faster it will be. At-least theoretically.

2). Is it preferable to get a modem and a router separately & use LAN connection to Ps4 directly through modem or can i get an all in one modem router and connect LAN through it to my Ps4 !

Get a modem-router in one and connect the thing directly with a LAN cable to the console for the best results.

3). I know modems/routers hardly have an effect on the PINGS but to all the people getting pings below 15ms what modem/router are you using ?

Everything affects your online experience, especially gaming. Your router, your ISP, the cable routing, everything between the client to your console / PC port affects the latency.

The person with a ~15ms PING is figuratively right next to the server.

Also what DNS settings are you using on your router ?

OpenDNS or Google DNS is best.

+1 ... Thanks alpha ! I'll check out the newer ' ac ' routers .

Edit - although i have no clue if airtel supports the latest ac rating . Also i'd appreciate if u can tell me which one should i go for . In gaming , Netgear is the only one i've heard of that is reliable & available in india

+1 ... Thanks alpha ! I'll check out the newer ' ac ' routers .

Edit - although i have no clue if airtel supports the latest ac rating . Also i'd appreciate if u can tell me which one should i go for . In gaming , Netgear is the only one i've heard of that is reliable & available in india

Well, with the speeds we have in India - it doesnt make sense in a AC router. A "n" router should be fine. AC speeds really matter if you have something like a NAS sitting at home serving content to a lot of devices in the network.

Look for these brands - Netgear, Linksys, TP-Link, Asus. If you have a budget in mind - i can suggest something.

Look for these brands - Netgear, Linksys, TP-Link, Asus. If you have a budget in mind - i can suggest something.

There you go,

I have a few questions regarding the purchase of my next modem router . My budget is around 3k

Even I would like a bit of a help on this issue.

I had been using a Beetel modem and a WGR614v9 router for quite a few years and quite recently, some 2-3 weeks backs, the modem was problematic and there was frequent disconnection even though the data link light was on in the modem. I checked up with my ISP (Airtel) and they said that there was a problem in the modem there wasn't any issue from their end.

So, I went in for the Netgear DGN2200 N300 router+modem.

http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-dgn2200-adsl2-wireless-n300-router-modem/p/itmdffysez58xqfw?pid=RTRDFFYG3HZJRTYV&

After installing I found that the N300 is not giving a good performance. The signal strength is maximum when I connect a laptop in the same room as the router but when I connect it in the other rooms, say 15-20 feet from the router, the signal drastically drops and even loading pages takes a very very long time. Sometimes it just disconnects. Sometimes it gives pretty decent speeds. And I connect only wirelessly through this and not wired.

I googled up and did a few things like changing the channel, varying the MTU, etc. but still the signal just keeps fluctuating.

Is that modem-router that bad or can it be because the piece is defective. I have raised a return request with FK and awaiting their reply.

But I would like to know whether it was a good decision to go for that router, and if so what can be the cause for this problem??

^ Depends on how much physical obstruction(s) the signal has to pass through in the 15-20 feet distance from the router to your laptop.

Also, you can ask flipkart for a replacement but that may or may not solve your problem completely.

The older router that I was using was in one corner of the house. And it would give 90-100% signal at the farthest point (that is were my PS3 is and that is connected wirelessly too).

I initially installed the new one in the same place but the signal was very weak at the mentioned range. So i relocated it to a more central location and it got slightly better but for optimum performance, I have got to use my device in the same area as that of the router. But the problem is, it is fluctuating at other points.

For e.g., at that 15-20 feet, I got a strong signal yesterday morning and in the evening it was just too weak. That was weird :scratchchin:

That is why I am hoping that it is some defective piece.

But like you said, say FK gives a replacement and that too gives a similar performance, would I get a refund?

But like you said, say FK gives a replacement and that too gives a similar performance, would I get a refund?

Yes, if the second router also performs poorly, ask for a refund / STEAM credit and go for a different router.

I would suggest you stick to ASUS, TP-Link and D-Link the next time you purchase routers.

I would recommend go for a seperate modem & router always. Anyway, if you tell your budget, i can recommend something.

There you go,

Sent from my ST27i

I would suggest you stick to ASUS, TP-Link and D-Link the next time you purchase routers.

Hey i wanna buy a new modem cum router too.

can you suggest some good ones?

i am thinking of getting this.

http://www.amazon.in/TD-W8961ND-Wireless-Splitter-detachable-antennas/dp/B0086UK72C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403339374&sr=8-2&keywords=tp+link+n300

^^ exactly what i was thinking of buying . Seemed pretty decent considering i don't need the gigabit port to transfer files locally . Neither do i need dual-band as i just gotta connect my Ps4 to this !

I have a separate router for streaming and downloading .

^^ can u please explain in detail bro why is a separate modem & router better in your opinion ?

A couple of reasons -

- Modem's can last forever - dont need to upgrade them. On the other hand - maybe you would want to upgrade to a better router down the link with USB/AC support etc. Plus modem's dont make a difference in your internet/LAN speeds.

- Custom Firmware - DDWRT/Open WRT. These add a ton of features to your router - and unfortunately available only for routers and not for modem+router combo's

If you still want to go for Modem+Router -

http://www.amazon.in/Netgear-DGN2200-100PES-Wireless-ADSL2-Router/dp/B002ZRUENO?tag=googinhydr18418-21

For Router only, here are my recommendations -

http://www.amazon.in/Netgear-WNR2000-NetGear-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B00K15I0UG?tag=googinhydr18418-21

http://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS?tag=googinhydr3869-21

http://www.amazon.in/Cisco-Linksys-E900-EU-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B009PCWKSE?tag=googinhydr8747-21

All 3 are good - buy whichever you like. Pair it with a cheap DSL modem (most probably your DSL provider would have already given you that for free).

^^ great info man . Although i've known about ddwrt for quite a while now I Never really cared to flash my router with it . Have you flashed your router ?

Also regarding the CISCO router you mentioned , will the airtel technician be able to configure it ? Can it be flashed with DDWRT ?

I bought this modem-router and its giving issues that i have mentioned a few posts above. The range is quite poor. Any idea what is the operating range for this?

^^ exactly what i was thinking of buying . Seemed pretty decent considering i don't need the gigabit port to transfer files locally . Neither do i need dual-band as i just gotta connect my Ps4 to this !

I have a separate router for streaming and downloading .

yeah looks pretty decent for the price..let me know what you opt for.

^^ can u please explain in detail bro why is a separate modem & router better in your opinion ?

Apart from the reasons given above, a modem+router is a single point of failure if something goes wrong. If your hardware fails you'll have trouble figuring out whether it's the router or modem that is gone, and you will likely require a full replacement. If they are separate, one can go and you will still have the other device functional.

Archived