[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

^^ The 2.5" drive might come in more expensive.

A visit to Chandni Chowk will never be in vain although you can always enquire about pricing over the telephone. Call up M.D. Computers and follow up, if they quote ~3100/- and thereabouts you can bargain or easily find cheaper deals from the competition.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Thanks. They quoted me 2500 plus tax for 3.5"(Seagate) and 2950 plus tax for 2.5"(Hitachi), though nothing about the cache/rpm. I guess, I'll have to find some time to visit there soon.

guys, what kind of performance can I expect from the following config for upcoming games(such as watch dogs,assassins creed4, etc...)

Processor- AMD 4.4 GHz AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300
Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M/U3 or MSI 970A-G46

GPU- SAPPHIRE HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 PCIE

2x4GB DDR3 RAM

Thanks in advance :)

guys, what kind of performance can I expect from the following config for upcoming games(such as watch dogs,assassins creed4, etc...)

Processor- AMD 4.4 GHz AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300

Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M/U3 or MSI 970A-G46

GPU- SAPPHIRE HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 PCIE

2x4GB DDR3 RAM

Suggest you go with an ASUS M5A97 motherboard ~6500/- instead of the ones you have short listed.

You would be restricted by the graphic card to a mix of medium to the lowest settings at resolutions ~1280 x720 -->1600 x900. 1080p resolution will see the performance go down to unacceptable levels.

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like would have to invest in a decent graphics card then.

Any suggestions for 10-12k :)

Following,

• AMD HD7790
  • GTX650Ti (get the boost edition if possible)
  • AMD HD7850 1GB
  • nVidia GTX660 (drive a hard bargain or this will land ~14500/-)

Following,

• AMD HD7790
  • AMD HD7850 1GB

2k extra for GTX660 is really worth. the OP will get mainstream performance (highest details, almost every eye candy on) in almost every game at 1080p

I need to purchase a laptop for around $500. Please suggest a good overall (basic tasks, gaming, HD movies and other entertainment related stuff) laptop.

So we are talking roundabouts ~30,000/- INR.

These are your options @flipkart -->http://www.flipkart.com/m/m-search-all/searchAll?q=laptop+30%2C000&otracker=search&fromAS=false&showAS=false&_submit=.

Look out for following features,

[] AMD APU, for better graphical performance and battery life

[] Amount of RAM

[] Hard-drive capacity

[] Screen-size

Brands to look out for, SAMSUNG, Lenovo, HP.

Really thanks for your suggestions :)

The GTX660 does look good but I have to increase my budget a bit.

Hopefully, I get a decent buyer for my old system parts :D

2k extra for GTX660 is really worth. the OP will get mainstream performance (highest details, almost every eye candy on) in almost every game at 1080p

Following,

• AMD HD7790
  • AMD HD7850 1GB

Edited by ishan23

I need to purchase a laptop for around $500. Please suggest a good overall (basic tasks, gaming, HD movies and other entertainment related stuff) laptop.

So we are talking roundabouts ~30,000/- INR.

These are your options @flipkart -->http://www.flipkart.com/m/m-search-all/searchAll?q=laptop+30%2C000&otracker=search&fromAS=false&showAS=false&_submit=.

Look out for following features,

[] AMD APU, for better graphical performance and battery life

[] Amount of RAM

[] Hard-drive capacity

[] Screen-size

Brands to look out for, SAMSUNG, Lenovo, HP.

My purchase won't take place in India. I'll buy it in U.S. Also, I'm not going to use it for hardcore gaming. Just some light gaming. It's basically for my elder brother.

Sent from my Awesomesauce GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My purchase won't take place in India. I'll buy it in U.S. Also, I'm not going to use it for hardcore gaming. Just some light gaming. It's basically for my elder brother.

The suggestion still holds, no point going for Intel Core based parts. Smaller screen size, poor graphics performance (this means anything newer than CS 1.6 will stutter) and very dependent battery life (where AMD currently reigns).

The suggestion still holds, no point going for Intel Core based parts. Smaller screen size, poor graphics performance (this means anything newer than CS 1.6 will stutter) and very dependent battery life (where AMD currently reigns).

If I increase my budget a bit, will this laptop serve me good?

http://www.amazon.in/Asus-K55VM-SX086D-15-6-inch-Laptop-Metallic/dp/B00AAUHMKQ/ref=lp_1375424031_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1376116329&sr=1-23#productDetails

no-3.jpg

In-fact battery life will be worse and in that range, these models would be better @flipkart.

Really thanks for your suggestions :)

The GTX660 does look good but I have to increase my budget a bit.

Hopefully, I get a decent buyer for my old system parts :D

save up, wait but don't compromise

ello friends! Need some help.
I am a casual gamer. I am looking to upgrade my pc but I want to clarify about a few things first.
Here is the config of my current pc that has served me well since 2009:

Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz
Asus p5kpl mb

Kingston 2 x 2GB 400 MHz ram

GeForce 9400 gt 1 GB
seagate 500 gb

Stock PSU 400w

This rig can still play the likes of CS GO, Fifa/Pes, Dota 2 on medium settings. I could even play Hitman Absolution and Max Payne 3 without any trouble. But it can't handle AC III, tomb raider and won't even run the forthcoming ones.

• I want to know that if I upgrade my GPU + PSU to better ones, can my existing mb and processor handle it for a year or so?
  • Can my existing cpu and mb support HD 6670/ HD 7750/ 7770?
  • Suggest a decent PSU that can give upto 550W

Also if I decide to upgrade my entire setup, should i wait till the end of the year so that prices might drop a bit?

ello friends! Need some help.

I am a casual gamer. I am looking to upgrade my pc but I want to clarify about a few things first.

Here is the config of my current pc that has served me well since 2009:

Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz

Asus p5kpl mb

Kingston 2 x 2GB 400 MHz ram

GeForce 9400 gt 1 GB

seagate 500 gb

Stock PSU 400w

This rig can still play the likes of CS GO, Fifa/Pes, Dota 2 on medium settings. I could even play Hitman Absolution and Max Payne 3 without any trouble. But it can't handle AC III, tomb raider and won't even run the forthcoming ones.

• I want to know that if I upgrade my GPU + PSU to better ones, can my existing mb and processor handle it for a year or so?

Also if I decide to upgrade my entire setup, should i wait till the end of the year so that prices might drop a bit?

What is your budget for upgrade?

Also, merely adding a GPU & PSU to that rig doesn't make much sense, considering you are looking at lower end GPUs only. Because your investment will be outdated before this year ends.

What is your budget for upgrade?

Also, merely adding a GPU & PSU to that rig doesn't make much sense, considering you are looking at lower end GPUs only. Because your investment will be outdated before this year ends.

Well budget would be 25-30k for the entire rig. BUt tbh i am looking to replace the PSU as early as next week and might go for the entire rig later this year.My PSU is giving me plenty of problems. SO a budget PSU which can last for a few months would be better as a short term solution...

I want to know if there is a chance that prices might drop by the end of the year so that I might get 650Ti or HD 7750/ 7850 on a bargain deal later and might as well upgrade the entire thing then...

Again, what would be the benefit of upgrading only your PSU? It is always recommended to choose a PSU for the entire rig, and since that is not finalised yet you may end up buying a PSU that later turns out to be ill-suited.

I suggest you wait a while, let prices (of existing GPUs) come down before you upgrade (everything).

Again, what would be the benefit of upgrading only your PSU? It is always recommended to choose a PSU for the entire rig, and since that is not finalised yet you may end up buying a PSU that later turns out to be ill-suited.

I suggest you wait a while, let prices (of existing GPUs) come down before you upgrade (everything).

k. so i guess its better to wait for a few months then. Thank You!

Actually, get the SMPS now if you can.

What will your budget be if you can hold of your purchase for now? What components do you have in mind?

Currently, just get any of the following SMPS, just to be on the safer side (with current build) and carry over the same when you put together a new build,

• Seasonic S12II 520W
  • Antec VP550W
  • Seasonic M12II 650W (this will be the best bet for you as it has a modular cable system, decent power output and Seasonic is the best in this game)

• Easily, in-fact a new PC now can carry on for ~4 -->5 years depending on the amount you invest.
  • Yes, although none of the cards you have short listed are going to guarantee a good gaming experience even one year down the line.
  • Already answered on the other thread.

Price are in the flux for now because of the Rupee, if it appreciates a little vis-á-vis the $ then we might see better prices, else Diwali is a better time to look into purchase in India, not end of the year.

Edited by ALPHA17