DTDC - How reliable for international?

Solitaire

Well I'm gonna be sending off the supporting material - transcripts and such - to univs in the US for my graduate engineering applications and I'm still debating what courier to use.

I've always used DTDC within India and never had a package delayed or lost or anything. But I wanted to know how good they are with shipping documents internationally.

Have any of u had any terrible experiences with them? Any non-delivered / wrongly delivered stuff or late deliveries ? Anything like that?

They have agreed to ship fro around 600 rupees all inclusive each sub-500g package of mine with pickup at my place. DHL meanwhile has a deal for around 1100 called DHL Express Student Easy.

UPS and Fedex seem rather expensive at around 2k or higher.

Considering the number of applications I have to send, 500 per piece will add up to quite a bit saved.

So please, opinions on how good DTDC is internationally and about DHL too if you wish. As soon as possible btw.

well dtdc is not much known for international shipping ...whereas dhl is really nice...had dealt with them in past and they give no reason to complaint..have used ups couple of times...i felt it bit more better then dhl,but the cost is also higher...

it really depends on how much valuable the documents are for you...i mean to say in dhl and ups you will have complete peace of mind...whereas dtdc i am not sure,never used it for international

why not EMS Speedpost service :fear: its trackable :P

i wont suggest ems for domestic shipping also..not once but thrice items which were shipped nationally to me got stolen from the package..and despite complaints etc nothing could be achieved...and all three times someone cut one the parcel ,took the items and sealed it back and dropped at my house :rant:

Yeah. U can go with fedex or dhl.

+1 , Fedex & DHL are best for international shipping.

My dad regularly ships documents & stuff to US headquarter office in Washington , and uses DHL , A1 service always. :)

They give a little discount cause DHL is a global partner of Special Olympics Inc. :P

guys read his first post, he is looking for a cheaper mode....

DHL/fedex they are too expensive and take 4-5 days to deliver

just contact the company i gave you, they charge me like 400 rs. for 500 gms and deliver alternate day in manhattan a day more for other destinations

contact and see what best rates they can offer you, they are very very reliable

i wont suggest ems for domestic shipping also..not once but thrice items which were shipped nationally to me got stolen from the package..and despite complaints etc nothing could be achieved...and all three times someone cut one the parcel ,took the items and sealed it back and dropped at my house :rant:

i used it to ship to US once ..reached fine in 10 days :P

DTDC :lol:

they should not even be considered.... i cannot count the number of times they refuse to acknowledge they have my parcel sitting in their branch near my home ( the website says so ), and deliver it only the next day evening.... JUST so that they can push/convince/arm-twist me into opting for the pricier next day delivery service they have.

DTDC :doh: NO Frickin Way !! :suicide:

I use these buggers solely because they are the only ones who do a home-pick up... and my fat ar$e likes that :fear:

Oh and by the way, once they took an extra 20rs from my mom as i was asleep... when i called them up asking why did they charge 100rs instead of the usual 80... the jerk on the other line fumbled and grudgingly agreed to send someone over to return the "extra" 20rs they had usurped.

And bikram can testify this, in may this year, they rejected the GOW collection disc i was shipping on his behalf stating "piracy" :roflroll: I told the clown who had come to pick up the disc to go back home, have a nice wash and come back when he understands what he's talking :wallbash:

I too had really bad experience with dtdc.. They are just plain stupid.. I had to quarrel and call up their complete south India zone manager to get my parcel. The reason they were giving was.. the guy to whom they gave the discs hasn't returned to office and we dunno where he is right now.. I asked wtf? you mean you dunno where is the guy.. I called up their zone manager and threatened him that I will spoil your name on forums and blogs if you don't deliver my package.. Guess what they found the guy in 15 mins straight and delivered it ROFL!!

The funniest part is I was supposed to get two parcel.. so status of one parcel was : Continuous door lock and the status of the other was : Address not found ha ha.. suckers!! Both the delivery was with the same guy and i had used the same address!! They are thieves so beware!

DTDC :lol:

they should not even be considered.... i cannot count the number of times they refuse to acknowledge they have my parcel sitting in their branch near my home ( the website says so ), and deliver it only the next day evening.... JUST so that they can push/convince/arm-twist me into opting for the pricier next day delivery service they have.

DTDC :doh: NO Frickin Way !! :suicide:

I use these buggers solely because they are the only ones who do a home-pick up... and my fat ar$e likes that :fear:

Oh and by the way, once they took an extra 20rs from my mom as i was asleep... when i called them up asking why did they charge 100rs instead of the usual 80... the jerk on the other line fumbled and grudgingly agreed to send someone over to return the "extra" 20rs they had usurped.

And bikram can testify this, in may this year, they rejected the GOW collection disc i was shipping on his behalf stating "piracy" :roflroll: I told the clown who had come to pick up the disc to go back home, have a nice wash and come back when he understands what he's talking :wallbash:

I lol'ed :roflroll:

Guys, thank you all for all the opinions.

Thing is, I use DTDC's domestic service regularly and I've never really lost a package, gotten it delayed or had any other headache till now even when sending to remote locations. But on this very page, I see a stark contrast in other people's experiences. And there's only one international DTDC experience brought to light here and LA's delivery time to the UK was impressive (pretty much the same 3 days I was quoted).

Bombino does quote 675 for a 0.5 kg package but I don't think they have pickups here. No special student rates. They seem to have excellent reviews on the Mumbai - NY route but a relative of mine did use them for Chennai - LA and they kinda effed it up majorly. I might skip them this time cos I don't want to take any risk.

Part of the reason I thought about DTDC is because, down south atleast, they've been excellent. And in my experience they never once defaulted. The delivery guy is very friendly and prompt (kinda regular so he knows us well) and the manager at the local office knows our place without even having to mention the address. DHL, UPS, Fedex, BlueDart, TNT etc all good. Like I said I'm not averse to spending more but sometimes tend to stick with the people I know well and I'm also too lazy to drive a distance and hand the stuff over at some place.

So yeah, I'll show this thread to the folks at home and let them decide what they want to use.

Thanks again and this I guess will help next time when I want to send larger packages to the US or something - now several options inside my head to consider.

I'll update here later once my packages get there (or once the courier company I choose defaces and loses them on the route) with my experience so that you guys'll know that atleast one company on the list is safe for sure. I'll be sending stuff to various locations across the US , so fingers crossed! :D

• 6 years later...

Archived