Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Xeno

The FiveNet franchisee guys in my area are lazy assholes. Last year,I called them many times for a new connection and those buggers would very rarely lift the call. A couple of times they did lift the call and promised to come at my residence for doing the wiring work. But they never came. :thumbdown:

Instead I applied for a HomeNet(cablewallah) connection. Their plans are quite cheap with no FUP bullshit. 4 Mbps UL for 11.4k per year. 2 Mbps UL for 5.7k per year. A major plus point is that the speed doubles at night. :D

I have been using it almost an year now and the service is awesome with almost no disconnections.

Edited by The Assassin

Good thing about Airtel is they have very low downtime (atleast in my area). In the 2 years that I have used the connection, the total downtime has been less than 15 hours and it always delivers the promised speed.

The FUP limits are ridiculous, but there is no other alternative except BSNL whose plans are quite similar

The FiveNet franchisee guys in my area are lazy assholes. Last year,I called them many times for a new connection and those buggers would very rarely lift the call. A couple of times they did lift the call and promised to come at my residence for doing the wiring work. But they never came. :thumbdown:

Instead I applied for a HomeNet(cablewallah) connection. Their plans are quite cheap with no FUP bullshit. 4 Mbps UL for 11.4k per year. 2 Mbps UL for 5.7k per year. A major plus point is that the speed doubles at night. :D

I have been using it almost an year now and the service is awesome with almost no disconnections.

you have to bug them like hell

also, if you have a time travelling machine, then fast forward to 3 years, coz thats exactly how it went for me, 3 years prior, i approached this 5Net guys, was hunting them for 1 month and then later gave up, all cussing and pissing on them and vouching never to buy this POS connection, and 3 years later, here i am, though from a different franchisee(coz the one in my actual area are still MIA or somebody might have killed them, LOL), but still it's 5Net :|

So the 10Mbps UL, is it really unltd, like totally?

Yep, totally unlimited some guys have FUP limit of 15gb per month, but i am downlading that data every 2 days, have loads of devices connected to the wifi network, and the best part is that the speed is not divided in 1:8 ratio, actual download speeds are somewhere close to 2-4 Mbps.

However, do keep in mind though the py won't install the modem directly inside your house, most likely they would install it in the terrace of your apartment and then provide the cat 5 cable to your home. It's a PPoE connection and uses RJ 45 cable so get a wifi router for that.

Also it would be a good idea, to enquire from the installation guy, where is your main connection hub located, coz if the electricity goes off in the cable guys office or the hub area, the connection would go down.

i tell you this guys, we in gurgaon are the one most screwed. we dont have beam like in hyderabad or 5net or hayai broadband like you guys have in mumbai. the best connection we have here is airtel 4 mbps and that too is not services in my area because their lines are old.cry5.gif

Guys, facing a strange problem here, i am not able to open some of the sites from my notebook, sites like times of india, cricinfo, ebay , guardian, photobucket and few other random ones are not opening up with the 5net connection, however all of the sites are working fine with my iPad and my brothers notebook on the same connection. I've tried disabling all the firewalls but it aint helping, what should i do, not even able to identify where the problem is, coz on the MTNL connection same sites are opening up on my notebook.

EDIT: Just had a word with my brother, he was using manual DNS settings on the notebook, changed it to automatic now, the problem is resolved :bigyellowgrin:

Edited by godspeed4476

My cablewallah has regular disconnections. One reason I switched to Airtel. Like ganeshran said, Airtel rarely has any downtime. There are times I really hate them for being assholes, but I have to give them the 'no downtime' bit.