The Android Thread

pArth

You can ditch HTC Desire. It has the same problem of multi-touch as Nexus One, will be a bad investment.

Go with Droid

Multitouch is flaky only in games and that too not much.. otherwise in normal use multitouch works just fine (infact, multitouch is too much hyped.. Normal one handed use is much better done with a UI that does not assume multitouch)

There are some other touchscreen issues that the phone loses calibration info sometimes, but is fixed by a quick tap to the power button and anyways, it will be fixed with an update as confirmed by google (this issue is with nexus, not sure if it is already fixed in desire builds. Some ppl who flashed desire builds on nexus say that they dont see this issue anymore)

Well I'll be using the phone for a good 2 years atleast, so I need something doesn't turn obsolete in a year.

That is why I'm considering the Desire.

And the Droid for the hard keyboard.

@LA, how is the touch sensitivity/response on the Droid?

And the Internet browsing experience?

if you want to use the phone for long, go for an HTC/google solution because then you will be assured of the updates...

btw, abt hard kbd, get an android phone and install swype.. you wont look back (except again, for games)

Edited by Shantz

My only problem with the milestone is the camera, the 5mp cam in not that great, the photos appear blurry and out of focus most of the times and not just after taking the pics but Even When using it as a viewfinder. There are also some other minor issues, esp while playing music, if you stop it/pause it it keeps on resuming randomly. Also, make sure that you have some way of downloading data from the net/app store (GPRS, Wifi) if you plan on getting an android based phone.

@daedalus get the droid, totally worth it.

• Like 1

My only problem with the milestone is the camera, the 5mp cam in not that great, the photos appear blurry and out of focus most of the times and not just after taking the pics but Even When using it as a viewfinder. There are also some other minor issues, esp while playing music, if you stop it/pause it it keeps on resuming randomly. Also, make sure that you have some way of downloading data from the net/app store (GPRS, Wifi) if you plan on getting an android based phone.

@daedalus get the droid, totally worth it.

yeah, its good to have it but even otherwise, if you can find an apk online (which you can, most of the times) then you can put it onto your sd card and install from there.. or can even install from PC by using adb..

Some useful apps I've been using.

Quick settings (get this ASAP)

Xscope browser: you'll never use the stock browser. EVER.

Voice caller ID: says the callers name, the stock OS doesn't have this.

Fake call me: very useful app

3: music player, better than the stock one.

Astro: file manager. Essential stuff get it ASAP

Task manger: to kill apps because some apps keep running in the BG even if u quit them

Music junk: download any music

3: music player, better than the stock one.

Astro: file manager. Essential stuff get it ASAP

3 is beautiful!

Also, I've been using EStrong's File Explorer and Task Manager. They're pretty good too. I like the font choice and the UI in general.

@ Shantz

Yeah, Swype is the best thing that happened to touch phones. I don't think I can live without it.

^^Totally +1 to all app recos from KC.. (Already posted quick settings QR code on page 1)...

and xscope has this nice pin-zoom feature that i like very much.. hate using two fingers for pinch-zoom

Some other good apps to have:

Barcode scanner - to get to apps/links easily

Brut maps - to enable google navigation in india

SMS call responder - to respond to calls by sms

Google Gesture Search - All in one search via gestures

Nimbuzz - For skype

Dialer One - Awesome smart dialer

Google Translate - Awesome voice and text translation on the go

KeePass Droid - Password wallet

News Rob - Excellent feed reader with greader sync

Google Places Directory - Local info galore

Seesmic - Best Twitter client and free

Swype - Must have keyboard

These are all for non-rooted devices.. For rooted ones, you can have much more :(

• Like 4

Multitouch is flaky only in games and that too not much.. otherwise in normal use multitouch works just fine (infact, multitouch is too much hyped.. Normal one handed use is much better done with a UI that does not assume multitouch)

There are some other touchscreen issues that the phone loses calibration info sometimes, but is fixed by a quick tap to the power button and anyways, it will be fixed with an update as confirmed by google (this issue is with nexus, not sure if it is already fixed in desire builds. Some ppl who flashed desire builds on nexus say that they dont see this issue anymore)

No! How can a software update fix it when the multi-touch sensor itself is old and is not capable of ? Its the same multi-touch sensor which Google G1 had and is as old as 2007. It might not be a big problem but honestly if I was putting 30k+ on any device, i would like to be a little future proof. HTC Desire has the same parts as Nexus One more or less hence the problem.

Android and Me reported earlier this year of the major touch screen problems that affected the Nexus One. Google’s flagship phone seemed to have severe hardware issues which prevented it from accurately sensing multiple touches across the same axis. The following video demonstrates the problem:

As the Motorola Droid didn’t exhibit the same problems, Google Engineer Dianne Hackborn went on the record to state that the problem originates from the different touch sensors that manufacturers use in their phones:

“Sorry I meant exactly what I said: this is how the touch screen hardware on the Nexus One works (which is essentially the same screen as on the G1 and myTouch). The Droid has a sensor from a different manufacturer, with different behavior. Other phones will likewise have different sensors.”

Android and Me has now revealed that the Nexus One uses a Synaptics ClearPad 2000 sensor. The sensor was actually never developed to be used for multi-touch use and works as advertised when it was made available in 2007.

In contrast, the new HTC Incredible uses a brand new Atmel maxTouch sensor which was not only designed for multi-touch use, but offers superior performance, accuracy, and power consumption. Atmel states that their touchscreen offers the following over the competition:

* Unlimited touches

* Low power consumption

* Fast response — completely redraws screen every 4/1000 of a second (4ms) to eliminate recalibration issues

* Excellent signal-to-noise ratio for superior precision — 3x better than competitive products

* Superior performance for first-touch response — 3x better than competitive products

* Unambiguous, unlimited touch support

* Responsive user interface: > 250 Hz report rate for a single touch

* Extremely low current consumption: < 1.8 mW in "touch-ready" state

* Two touch adjacency of less than 10 mm on a 4.3" touchscreen

* Small footprint with few external components

* Supports stylus, fingernails, and gloves

* Grip and face suppression functionality: avoids false touches

* Size and angle of touch supported

* Screen sizes up to 10.2" are supported by a single chip

* Proximity channel support

Android Central has made a video to show how the new Incredible and its touch sensor fares against the Nexus One. The results speak for themselves:

If i had to decide between N1 and Desire, i would go with latter even though the design and looks of N1 is much better but its plagued with problems.

Moto Droid was pretty good but I can see the Proc and ram becoming a bottleneck in near future especially when every Android device is coming out with 1Ghz Proc and 512mb ram

• Like 1

if you want to use the phone for long, go for an HTC/google solution because then you will be assured of the updates...

btw, abt hard kbd, get an android phone and install swype.. you wont look back (except again, for games)

+1 on this

Google devices get updates first and then other devices plus Google Devices = HTC, you have support of XDA-Devs which is lacking in Droid.

• Like 1

No! How can a software update fix it when the multi-touch sensor itself is old and is not capable of ? Its the same multi-touch sensor which Google G1 had and is as old as 2007. It might not be a big problem but honestly if I was putting 30k+ on any device, i would like to be a little future proof. HTC Desire has the same parts as Nexus One more or less hence the problem.

If i had to decide between N1 and Desire, i would go with latter even though the design and looks of N1 is much better but its plagued with problems.

Moto Droid was pretty good but I can see the Proc and ram becoming a bottleneck in near future especially when every Android device is coming out with 1Ghz Proc and 512mb ram

no, the software update is not going to fix the multi-touch issue. There is another touchscreen issue that i mentioned in my post (phone loses calibration sometimes). This is what the update is for..

Even for the multi-touch there is going to be some software clean up goind to be done. The test would not pass but you wont feel much issues with the actual usage.

Also apart from this, I don't really find any issue with it, so I can't say that it is "plagued" with problems. Really the only things that annoy me on nexus are the touch-calibration issue and lack of divx/xvid playback (supposed to come soon though with desire update, and if it is in desire, it can be ported over to nexus). N1 is also the best unlocked device you can get for the price it is being sold for. And the community support that it will get for years to come cannot be taken lightly. You can already see that even though it has sold probably the least amount of units for any android phone, but still has the most active Rom/app scene because the closed-bits for N1 are less than any other phone out there and is officially hackable plus officially being promoted by google to develop apps for..

desire is definitely better than N1 though as a device(I especially like the OFND better than trackball)...

Edit: BTW, when you say that the touch controller is 2 years old, you would be suprised how old tech is actually used in devices.. Infact the processor that you see in N1 is also over 1.5 years old as well.. it takes a lot of time to commercialize things..

Edited by Shantz

Okay so finally i flashed my phone to Sense hero android 2.1 :rofl: its amazing

Screenshots from internet :

mwbnro.png10deafb.pngnwwn4o.png

m9vdye.png69dtv5.png4r2b5s.png

This game is amazing- Doodle jump only for android 2 or greater.

Edited by pARTH

Doodle jump is a great game. Though I heard its not as good as on the Iphone version

Yeah there was a bit of lag , but i think that was because i had a couple of apps open in the background. But otherwise everything is the same.