The Android Thread

pArth

Dude parth, thats a warez version of doodle jump you have posted... remove it bro..

infact you have even linked to a complete warez forum in the OP :giggle:

Edited by Shantz

^^its there in the market, but you cant see it because by default android users in india cant see the paid apps..since you have rooted, you can download and install "market-enabler". Then you will be able to see all apps worldwide..

^^its there in the market, but you cant see it because by default android users in india cant see the paid apps..since you have rooted, you can download and install "market-enabler". Then you will be able to see all apps worldwide..

Ahh thanks , will remove the links

guys pls suggest a Android phone for a budget btwm 14 to 16k..

Samsung Galaxy Spica

Any Messenger which is like BeejiveIM for iPhone? I have seen Nimbuzz and IM+ and they are below par to be honest, hows Twidroid for Twitter ?

Any differences between Facebook for iPhone and Android? except Push notifications

Not sure about IM and facebook apps as I dont use them.. You could probably try ebuddy and meebo... For twitter I prefer seesmic over twidroid..

Quick q: Does this android come with built in protocol stacks ? Or its just an OS like vxworks on top of which you've to develop stuff ?

Depends on what you mean by protocol Stacks... Android is a high level OS. The android kernel (based on linux kernel) provides the IP/packet stacks, Android OS provices the RIL etc but the real protocol stack is in baseband which is separate from android ecosystem and is a different image and can also be on same processor, a different core on same processor, or a different processor altogether...

Edit: vxworks is something completely different. vxworks is an RTOS. It provides a kernel and some basic services.

Edited by Shantz

Samsung Galaxy Spica

Not sure about IM and facebook apps as I dont use them.. You could probably try ebuddy and meebo... For twitter I prefer seesmic over twidroid..

Depends on what you mean by protocol Stacks... Android is a high level OS. The android kernel (based on linux kernel) provides the IP/packet stacks, Android OS provices the RIL etc but the real protocol stack is in baseband which is separate from android ecosystem and is a different image and can also be on same processor, a different core on same processor, or a different processor altogether...

Edit: vxworks is something completely different. vxworks is an RTOS. It provides a kernel and some basic services.

Yeah, I meant baseband protocol stock (MAC/RLC etc).

So android is not a RTOS ? I thought the mobile phones use a soft version of RTOS ! Even the linux deployed on mobile phones is RT linux isn't it ? Or not ? I'm way out of touch with the mobile phone OS area. So pardon my n00b qs :rant:

^^ The definition of an RTOS is pretty fuzzy these days..its hard to explain whats going on.. If you look at a phone there are so many components.. e.g. if you take any HTC android phone, its not just android OS running, there are other "OS"s as well..

infact sometime back there were other linux phones which had linux running on top/side with another OS..

Android in itself does not need to have hard real time constraints because it is mainly an apps/HL OS. The telephony part is where it needs real time performance and most of it comes from the baseband which runs a different "OS". Again whether the other "OS" is an OS or not is debatable..You can probably search and read about L4 and Rex. And there are things even on top of those.. its pretty confusing...

I call vxworks an RTOS because its only job is to run a slim kernel and provide basic services like scheduler/memory management etc that can provide you a deterministic response time. Rest everything has to be done by the developer. You can chose to be content with what vxworks gives and develop some apps/services on top of it or you can even chose to run another HLOS on top of it/along with it..

^In that case we should have a Blackberry thread, a Nokia thread, a WebOS thread :rofl:...

Apple has a thread coz there are many devices other than the iphone.

Still Android is also on devices other than phones now, and its ecosystem will grow, so it makes sense to have a thread.