The Book Thread

Amay

:doh: I know what a cliffhanger is , I found the end unsatisfying as in he could have written a better CLIFFHANGER

I hope you know there can be unsatisfying cliffhangers too

^^ Loved it. Don't get the hate for Dan Brown though. Have gone through each of his novels and though I would say his earlier works (like Digital Fortress) were better, The Lost Symbol is also damn good. Got it the 1st day of release and finished reading in 2 days flat.

HP & Dan Brown = 1st day hardcover buys ! :D

@Fatty: The Dan Brown hate (for me at least) is because he pretends to be something he's not. His stuff is mindless, page-turning airport novel - relatively well written airport novel mind you. For that, it's great. A pretence that it's based on some sort of historical fact, or that it's of any literary value kills it though.

Add to that, after a couple of books, it feels like you're reading the exact same book again and again, and you've got your answer.

@Fatty: The Dan Brown hate (for me at least) is because he pretends to be something he's not. His stuff is mindless, page-turning airport novel - relatively well written airport novel mind you. For that, it's great. A pretence that it's based on some sort of historical fact, or that it's of any literary value kills it though.

Add to that, after a couple of books, it feels like you're reading the exact same book again and again, and you've got your answer.

Agree with the 1st part. It's a pretty well written airport novel and that what makes it much easier to get into when compared to the likes of say, Salman Rushdie. Anybody can pick it up and have fun going through it without using those grey cells too hard. For me, it's definitely something which I wouldn't put down unless I finish it off.

And probably all the success with Da Vinci Code has gone to his head ! :lol: Don't think so TLS did similar sales.

Regarding the repetitive part, well it's subjective. I have no problems reading conspiracy theories about Illuminatis and what not till it gives me a good thriller. Heck, I remember purchasing 4-5 books based on a similar plot as of Da Vinci Code after acing through it's illustrated edition (which is lovely btw. And so is the IE of Angels and Demons). Plus a couple of novels on Da Vinci and Galileo too.

Edited by F@tm@n

Don't get me wrong, I ripped through both DVC and A&D in a day or two each. I just don't have the desire to go get any of his other books.

well, i have read all his books except digital fortress and i believe each book is different. Also, all the books keep you hooked till the end. TLS is not one of his great books but still it kept me hooked. dan's books cant be ignored once you read one and then you feel to get his other books as well because he is consistent and definitely value for money

Dance with dragons is up on Flipkart. Delivery in 14-21 days. :panic:

Hmm .. I think I read book 4 way back in 2006? All I remmber is a bunch of horny incestous siblings bumping off royalty ....

BTW, any idea when book 13 of WOT is releasing?