Microsoft Surface

b!T

the ipad is not going to maintain whatever marketshare and mindshare it has well into the future. this surface tablet might not compete directly with the ipad, but the kind of unified ecosystem microsoft are trying to build will blow away all the competition if it is successful (this includes both apple and google). they're leveraging the windows and xbox brands to unify everything... gaming, home entertainment, mobile computing, music and digital distribution, telephones, desktop computing, the internet... everything controlled by the same software systems that talk to each other. apple might compete in tablets and phones, but they have nothing else. google can compete on phones and internet services, but nothing else. the kind of sh*t microsoft are trying to pull off will be what smart homes from sci fi movies depict. dunno if it will be successful or not, but this isn't going to be a "lololol ipad vs surface" war. microsoft is playing the long game here... for them it's a marathon, not a sprint.

are you really serious :lol: ?

My guess - I think this is a desperate move by MS to gain some foothold in the mobile computing business where they have a negligible presence. Maybe they are insecure about how long the laptop/desktop gen is gonna last .... and like DS said before, since their major OEM's like Dell/HP are not making any huge strides in this area, I think MS decided to get in. I don't really think they are that interested in selling the surface , their primary interest would be just popularize Windows on the mobile computing platform. O

And yea google is the one in deep trouble. No wonder they bought Motorola. They are also trying this.

Google is one big glorified ad company. They don't need an eco system, they want your data and for that all they need is for you to be connected to the internet , coz that's where they dominate. And the reason for buying Motorola was 1. Having a strong patent portfolio, and 2. More and more ppl are moving for using internet from the Mobile devices than laptops/desktops .... and they are firmly establishing themselves there.

the ipad is not going to maintain whatever marketshare and mindshare it has well into the future. this surface tablet might not compete directly with the ipad, but the kind of unified ecosystem microsoft are trying to build will blow away all the competition if it is successful (this includes both apple and google). they're leveraging the windows and xbox brands to unify everything... gaming, home entertainment, mobile computing, music and digital distribution, telephones, desktop computing, the internet... everything controlled by the same software systems that talk to each other. apple might compete in tablets and phones, but they have nothing else. google can compete on phones and internet services, but nothing else. the kind of sh*t microsoft are trying to pull off will be what smart homes from sci fi movies depict. dunno if it will be successful or not, but this isn't going to be a "lololol ipad vs surface" war. microsoft is playing the long game here... for them it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Feels like a satirical post but I believe!

I wish Surface and google tab succeed. Cuz then apple might reconsider its prices and thus ipads would become more affordable. Competition in any market is good for consumers.

Reading hands-on views, it feels like a solid build. But the hype will be crazy in next two months, and then it will definitely fall short of it. Too much hype creates a double edged sword for engineers. Too much quality check means manufacturing will be pain, too less means people get to nitpick. It might be like kinect, too much hype and average execution, or might be like iPhone. As of now, it seems to be going kinect way. Although kinect sold well, that was because of bringing totally new concept to life, but all those who want a tablet has already bought one, so it will not fare as well.and for people who want both laptop and tablet, it is still far away from perfect blend. It might just end up as a first Gen proof of concept device, paving way for better devices next Gen. Seriously, it is unnecessary to go for high powered devices as of now in workstation segment. It will be perfect to have a device that can do all and still manage good battery and pricing. This borders next to that, but is still far away from it. We just don't have enough tech to make surface pro, the size of tablet, without a vent, just yet. As for this stupid surface vs. IPad war, there actually is none. Microsoft is aiming for new market standard, while apple is trying to perfect existing stuff. There never is a war to win, as clearly iPad is the device in tablet segment, with macbook in laptop segment; while surface wants to merge tablet and laptop segment to make way for further convergence. Also, as Achilles said, people do not buy tablets, they buy iPad, so it doesn't even make sense to try for that market. Creating a new market for surface like devices, is better in long run for tech. Going for "who has highest pixel count on tablet" is a stupid idea, and I am glad that Microsoft went away from.

All i want from surface is to have ability to have word and other app witch to win32 version, without losing info. Right now, it is pain to switch seamlessly to win32 version. If I have outlook open, with a keystroke, I want to move it to old self, so that I can continue where I left off. It can be done easily, at least to some extent, in sp1 probably, considering it is not happening in release preview. Still, I am happy for next year me, who will ditch laptop and smartphone and will carry surface 2.0, and a good old Nokia 1110. I hope they come up with it soon, so I can get rid of all this crazy combo of devices, and have a proper interconnected lifestyle.

If they could add something like iCloud and integrate it with softwares like powerpoint and so on. It would be a major boost mainly because of the number of Windows users there are,it would be very urging for them to buy it. I for one bought iPad after seeing mountain lion and iCloud integration.. Looks perfect for my college life.

Archived