[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Alpha saar, help needed.

windows 7 OS. hp laptop.

All operations of MS office show an annoying pop up window upon starting them (word, powerpoint, ms note, etc) with an error code 0x8007007B. The message goes "this copy of MS office is not activated". One has to close the box before starting the work. It is not as harmful as it is irritating.

What to do ? Should one go and activate it online ? Got this laptop from official HP showroom sometime in mid 2012, have not installed any 3rd party stuff myself but dad might have got something done from someone (as he is using the machine).

Or the trial license on your MS office expired (in case it came along with your laptop)

Either ways you either need to buy the new license or use the pirate's route

Allright. Using Office products that have 2010 as suffix.

but one question, this laptop was purchased sometime between april-june 2012, so at best it has been little over an year old. got it from a totally legit place, bill and stuff. why is it that the ms office license has crapped in such a short time ? do the retailers put a fake copy themselves ? i mean i can understand a pirated version if one gets an assembled desktop made but even in laptop ? Or is it that the office it self has a surprisingly 'rip off' of a license period ?

I am not even sure if the pop up is a recent phenomenon or it is something that was there from the start. I used it seldom when i had it, had got for gaming purposes mainly but that for reasons undisclosed did not pan out, used it briefly for interwebz before stashing, and then exchanged it with macbook that dad had got. He needed a powerful personal laptop for sorting out personal media and ms word for typing, editing his phd work and Apple is not really conducive for that if you do not intend to spend money for every add on (that comes from beginning in a MS OS machine) and if you have been working with MS based pc for long.

Anyway, long story short, when i used this laptop in jan this year after a gap, i did notice the pop ups. Maybe cause someone installed the non regular ms office stuff like OneNote, Publisher, Access.

but one question, this laptop was purchased sometime between april-june 2012, so at best it has been little over an year old. got it from a totally legit place, bill and stuff. why is it that the ms office license has crapped in such a short time ? do the retailers put a fake copy themselves ? i mean i can understand a pirated version if one gets an assembled desktop made but even in laptop ? Or is it that the office it self has a surprisingly 'rip off' of a license period ?

I am not even sure if the pop up is a recent phenomenon or it is something that was there from the start. I used it seldom when i had it, had got for gaming purposes mainly but that for reasons undisclosed did not pan out, used it briefly for interwebz before stashing, and then exchanged it with macbook that dad had got. He needed a powerful personal laptop for sorting out personal media and ms word for typing, editing his phd work and Apple is not really conducive for that if you do not intend to spend money for every add on (that comes from beginning in a MS OS machine) and if you have been working with MS based pc for long.

Anyway, long story short, when i used this laptop in jan this year after a gap, i did notice the pop ups. Maybe cause someone installed the non regular ms office stuff like OneNote, Publisher, Access.

The pre installed MS Office on branded legit computers comes with a license of I think a year (or 6 months I am not too sure)

Obviously the trial period has expired on your laptop so MS wants you to fill its coffers now. Bill Gates has got a lot of charity to do.

The guy Did not install a pirated version but a free trial Office 10 on your pc

You can try using Open Office instead. Free and equally good. I am doing the same

Edited by mshingore

Don't know if there's a separate thread for networking but I'll ask my doubt anyways.

I have this Belkin F7D3302 v1 router which I've been using for a couple of years now. And I have a You Broadband connection whose modem connects to this router. The modem is showing proper connectivity (all led lights on) but for some reason the router shows an amber light instead of green i.e. connection offline. I still can surf the internet properly like I am doing right now but sometimes it does go totally offline and then I have to restart the router, restart the modem and all that crap. tried a factory reset on the router but did not help. any ideas why this issue has crept up all of a sudden?:scratchchin: According to my ISP, 'Aapka router settings nahi pakad raha hain" which I think is his version of 'I dont know sh*t'

Edited by mshingore

That be MicroSoft Office 2010

Must have been a trial version, Office is not bundled in most retail (of the shelf) laptops / desktops. So the trial must have run its course, then asking you for activation code for a new copy of the software.

I am not even sure if the pop up is a recent phenomenon or it is something that was there from the start.

Has been there since Office 2007 if I recall correctly.

Solution still is the same, get a legit copy. Or the 'cracked' one.

Surprisingly One Note and Publisher are free (Shareware and Trialware), Access is part of the Office package so has to be paid-for.

pls suggest a good anti virus

my config is i-5 2410m and 4gb ram wit windows 7(64)

need good protection without it slowing down the pc

Kaspersky is good , you get it for 3 users for one year at rs650 and it doesnt slow system.

pls suggest a good anti virus

my config is i-5 2410m and 4gb ram wit windows 7(64)

need good protection without it slowing down the pc

If you have a legit copy of Windows (or properly cracked version) your best bet is the MicroSoft Security Essentials suite. Light, fast, effective and free.

Kaspersky is good , you get it for 3 users for one year at rs650 and it doesnt slow system.

If you have a legit copy of Windows (or properly cracked version) your best bet is the MicroSoft Security Essentials suite. Light, fast, effective and free.

where can i find it or r u referin to the windows defender?

need it jus for my personal laptop the other laptop already has mcafe

should i buy kaspersy anti virus(rs 270) or internet security (550 bucks)??

Hi ALPHA17

Can you please suggest some external hdd of 500gb

Can be usb 2.0 or 3.0

I need it to backup my movies and watch them from ps3/ps4(when it comes out) and pc, nothing else.

Also I have Gigabyte B75M-D3H mobo which supports 3.0

But when I plug in a transcend 3.0 to the blue usb port of my mobo it only gives 20 mbps and is stated as usb 2.0 .Any help??

I am using Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 32-bit

ps please dont tell me to switch to windows 7 as I purchased this crap 8.............

Edited by ryu2050

Hi ALPHA17

Can you please suggest some external hdd of 500gb

Can be usb 2.0 or 3.0

Check these hard-drives in your local PC market -- Hard-disk's @flipkart.

Also I have Gigabyte B75M-D3H mobo which supports 3.0

But when I plug in a transcend 3.0 to the blue usb port of my mobo it only gives 20 mbps and is stated as usb 2.0 .Any help??

Okay, have you updated the drivers for Windows 8?

If not, please do the needful and see if anything changes. Ideally you might need to restart the PC to put them in effect. To get the drivers, head here.

Also, is this when you put the hard-drive on the rear USB hub or the front (via cabinet)?

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

Check these hard-drives in your local PC market -- Hard-disk's @flipkart.

Okay, have you updated the drivers for Windows 8?

If not, please do the needful and see if anything changes. Ideally you might need to restart the PC to put them in effect. To get the drivers, head here.

Also, is this when you put the hard-drive on the rear USB hub or the front (via cabinet)?

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Hi can you let me choose a brand in hdd

I am connecting it at the rear end of my cabinet

Yes all the bios and drivers are updated

Still I see 20mbps speed

Following brands are reliable --

• Seagate
  • Western Digital
  • Transcend

Still I see 20mbps speed

Is this with USB 3.0 devices or USB 2.0 devices?

where can i find it or r u referin to the windows defender?

need it jus for my personal laptop the other laptop already has mcafe

should i buy kaspersy anti virus(rs 270) or internet security (550 bucks)??

Go for internet scurity , its the complete package , protects system from internet attackts too.(i have it , so i can recommend it.)

Still I see 20mbps speed

Most usb 2.0 Externall HDDs give write speed of about 20-30mbps.

I would advice not to go for seagate external hdd as i had a preety bad experience with them.

WD is good , the new pocketable passport external HDD are low on power consumption and high on speed.

Some seagate HDD use so much power that they dont work on netbook usb ports ( i have both WD 2.0 and seagate 2.0)

I would advice not to go for seagate external hdd as i had a preety bad experience with them.

Which ones and how bad because I have had the inverse scenario with Western Digital drives, doesn't mean I colour them all with the same brush.

WD is good , the new pocketable passport external HDD are low on power consumption and high on speed.

All fluff and no substance in this line, how fast, how small, even the new Seagate drives with brushed aluminium exteriors look great and can be pocketed.

Some seagate HDD use so much power that they dont work on netbook usb ports ( i have both WD 2.0 and seagate 2.0)

Again, which ones are you talking about, the ancient 3.5" hard-drives which have an external power source?

No Security Essentials superseded Defender, you can get it here.

+1. There's absolutely no reason to use any other AV suite. Fast, light and no-frills awesomeness.

At the matter of HDDs, I prefer to go with Transcend, primarily due to their ruggedness (had a bad experience with Seagate after it fell from a meager height of 25-30 cms and the head broke (the drive wasn't even running !)).

Which ones and how bad because I have had the inverse scenario with Western Digital drives, doesn't mean I colour them all with the same brush.

All fluff and no substance in this line, how fast, how small, even the new Seagate drives with brushed aluminium exteriors look great and can be pocketed.

Again, which ones are you talking about, the ancient 3.5" hard-drives which have an external power source?

seagate expansion 1tb external harddisk usb 2.0 hard disk has given me so much troubles , it didnt ran on my system for more then five minutes while transfering data or even the netbook my firend has.(speaking from the experience that i had , and this is a common problem in this HDD)

My HDD doesnt have and external power source , i bought Y usb wires to give it extra power , but it still wont work , tried lot of things , in the end RMA was the choice.It still sometimes disconnects from the ultrabook i have now.

The transfer speeds on WD passport HDD are 2mbps faster on usb 2.0 port(average) and is obviously faster on usb 3.0(sorry dont have seagate in usb 3.0).

20130424_102723.jpg(dont know how to upload pic here)

ALL THE ADVICE I GIVE ARE BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCES , my apologies if someone doesnt like it this way. Next time i will provide links stating the reviews of other people.

Edited by mafia97

Can anybody suggest a couple of options for a wireless n+ router?

Edit: I am using a 802.11g wireless adapter on my laptop.. I've been using n+ all this while thinking that it gives a superior coverage area.

Should I rather be using a wireless g router with higher coverage? Any suggestions for the same?

Edited by mshingore