[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Transcend 4gb ddr3 from local shop. CPU fan is rotating but PC ain't booting up.

Frequency?

And what was the RAM you already had, which brand was that and get details like frequency if possible.

Use CPU-Z to find out.

I think both the RAM modules are incompatible and thus you are unable to boot up. Put individual RAM keys and see if you can boot up.

Edited by ALPHA17

tried taking out new memory and booting up with my old ram still didnt boot.Prob was my mobo died so changed it now both 4gb sticks r working fine.

So, you this was before or after you swapped the RAM modules?

And how did your motherboard die?

So, you this was before or after you swapped the RAM modules?

And how did your motherboard die?

Did he have the classic case of Indian repairmen ?

Every time they come to repair a PC, they keep changing parts till it starts working.

"Bhaiya motherboard badalna hai."

"Kya kharab hua usme ?"

"Samjhana mushkil hai, sahi ho jayega."

I was pretty sure the motherboard was fine and the PSU was dead, but it was an office PC so I didn't have much say.

Next week, he replaces it and still doesn't work.

"Bhaiya RAM badalni padegi."

"Kyon ?"

"Kharab ho gayi hai."

At this point I was extremely pissed.

"Aur ye power supply ka kya ?"

"Hmmm?"

"Ye theek hai ?"

Next day he brings a new PSU and the PC works.

Me: " Motherboard kyon badla tha fir?"

"Wo to kharab tha hi, sath mein power supply bhi"

"Aur RAM?"

"Wo naye mother board ke saath chal gayi."

Believe me, they find absolute BS reasons to change parts, poor company got billed so much. They have no idea what they are doing.

Edited by Sackboy

Did he have the classic case of Indian repairmen ?

That is why asked Archit for more details.

The random replacement of parts and Windows format kar do, sure shot ways to solve every PC issue in India

Believe me, they find absolute BS reasons to change parts, poor company got billed so much. They have no idea what they are doing.

Which company?

I want to build a Gaming PC rig and i am very new in this PC gaming/building, i don't know a single stuff about it.

How to make, which is compatible with whom, what should i get, what is overclocking? .. i3, i5, i7, graphics card, ram, related instruments i am totally blank

and where to get all these components? are they easily available?

Steam - don't know how to use it, don't know how it works.

Need help to build the best possible gaming rig.

:cheers:

finally :lol:

I have this wierd problem with my internet, apart from the daily/hourly MTNL internet disonnections , my ethernet randomly keeps disconnection/connecting untill I go and shake/move the ethernet wire (close to mobos port) for like 15-20seconds..

I tried googling a bit and came across Localhost IP address (127.0.0.1) and tried pinging it when my ethernet got disabled ( it says ''No ethernet cable attached" ) and I did get 4 packets Sent and 4 Recieved. ( I think this indicates that my Ethernet port on the mobo is functional maybe? )

So it can either be a problem with the Windows 8.1 settings ( I had this problem from after a month of making my new PC ) or maybe the Cable itself is faulty ? (It's quite long since the Router ins't in my room) or Maybe it's the crappy MTNL router (some basic ₹500 model called 450TC1).

Also please suggest me a good bang for buck router which will last long ( I run it 24x7 ) and support Wifi + Lan both at the same time ( Wifi for laptops/mobile and LAN for my pc )

EDIT: The frequency of this problem is very random, some times it doesn't occur for the whole day.. other times it happens 2-3 time in an hour..

Edited by ACidDrinkeR

So I have an old computer lying in the basement, and I want to upgrade it to a decent low/mid end gaming PC. I have a few ideas on what I can do to make it better, but I'm no component expert, so I thought I would ask over here. The current specs over on the machine is -

Intel Pentium
Gigabyte ga h61m ds2 Mobo
500W non branded PSU
4Gb RAM
No graphics card
2x 1TB HDD's
Windows 8.1

This is the basic layout of the current machine, and I wish to upgrade it to the following specs -

Intel i3 3220/AMD FX 6300
Corsair VS650 650 Watt PSU
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 270X with Boost OC 2 GB
A decent kit of 8gb RAM.

A compatible FX mobo.

Should I go for the AMD combination, or keep the existing mobo, and go with the i3? And will saving up for a 280x give me more performance, per rupee? Will this be enough to play most games at medium-high settings? I have a 1600x1050 monitor which I plan to upgrade to a 1080p screen in the future. And will the new components work properly together? And have I missed some component which should be upgraded over the other or something like that?

Thanks! And sorry if I sound like a noob, I have been out of the PC race for a while, due to studies and stuff.

So it can either be a problem with the Windows 8.1 settings ( I had this problem from after a month of making my new PC ) or maybe the Cable itself is faulty ? (It's quite long since the Router ins't in my room) or Maybe it's the crappy MTNL router (some basic ₹500 model called 450TC1).

What DNS are you on? Try to switch to Open / Google DNS and see if the problem persists.

Also, is this connection with a landline or without one? If it is with a land-line do you run a splitter?

Also please suggest me a good bang for buck router which will last long ( I run it 24x7 ) and support Wifi + Lan both at the same time ( Wifi for laptops/mobile and LAN for my pc )

Check out these pieces at flipkart / amazon.in.

The ~2000/- ASUS and TP-Link routers are the ones which I would really recommend for your needs.

Should I go for the AMD combination, or keep the existing mobo, and go with the i3? And will saving up for a 280x give me more performance, per rupee? Will this be enough to play most games at medium-high settings? I have a 1600x1050 monitor which I plan to upgrade to a 1080p screen in the future. And will the new components work properly together? And have I missed some component which should be upgraded over the other or something like that?

Thanks! And sorry if I sound like a noob, I have been out of the PC race for a while, due to studies and stuff.

Do you have a rough budget to go by?

Is the purchase immediate or can you stagger it out over a period of three-four months?

Also, where do you plan to get all the components from, Lamington Rd. / online retail or mix match as per prices?

If you want to purchase a RIG almost immediately, suggest you go for the AMD one over the Core i3, following components,

AMD FX-4300 / 6300

ASUS M5A97M-R2.0

Corsair Vengeance / G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz

nVidia GTX760 2GB / AMD R9-280X (the latter will perform better than the GTX760 which performs > R9-270X at most titles whilst costing ~1500/- -->2500/- quid more than the 270X, dependent on which company you go for)

Seasonic S12II 520W (the Corsair VS series is utter bull, don't even think about purchasing it)

Cooler Master N200 / N300 or Corsair Carbide 400R (cabinet depending on your budget)

Hope this helped. Cheerio!

Do you have a rough budget to go by?

Is the purchase immediate or can you stagger it out over a period of three-four months?

Also, where do you plan to get all the components from, Lamington Rd. / online retail or mix match as per prices?

If you want to purchase a RIG almost immediately, suggest you go for the AMD one over the Core i3, following components,

AMD FX-4300 / 6300

ASUS M5A97M-R2.0

Corsair Vengeance / G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz

nVidia GTX760 2GB / AMD R9-280X (the latter will perform better than the GTX760 which performs > R9-270X at most titles whilst costing ~1500/- -->2500/- quid more than the 270X, dependent on which company you go for)

Seasonic S12II 520W (the Corsair VS series is utter bull, don't even think about purchasing it)

Cooler Master N200 / N300 or Corsair Carbide 400R (cabinet depending on your budget)

Hope this helped. Cheerio!

I've got a period of 1-2 months in which I will be getting money. I reckon that I have about 40K to spend in these two months, so it probably will be a tight squeeze.

And do components from Lamington Rd. have a large delta in prices over online retailers like FK or SnapDeal? If yes, I have no problem going there a few times and picking them up myself.

And thanks for the reply! I'll check everything out. :)

I've got a period of 1-2 months in which I will be getting money. I reckon that I have about 40K to spend in these two months, so it probably will be a tight squeeze.

And do components from Lamington Rd. have a large delta in prices over online retailers like FK or SnapDeal? If yes, I have no problem going there a few times and picking them up myself.

And thanks for the reply! I'll check everything out. :)

What DNS are you on? Try to switch to Open / Google DNS and see if the problem persists.

Also, is this connection with a landline or without one? If it is with a land-line do you run a splitter?

Check out these pieces at flipkart / amazon.in.

The ~2000/- ASUS and TP-Link routers are the ones which I would really recommend for your needs.

hope this helped. Cheerio!

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have tried two differe DNS for MTNL (mumbai and delhi most probably) also tried from OpenDNS and GoogleDNS (8.8.8.8) , the problem still persists.

I have a landline connection too with the internet, using a splitter for internet (which goes directly in the router).

Thanks for the suggestion of the routers, but i've heard D-Link routers have a number of problems (they lose connection / restart evry few hours automatically.. also read the same on FK reviews) Why haven't you recommended any of the Netgear routers?

Noob question, but will I be able to mount all these routers on the wall ?

Edited by ACidDrinkeR

Its not a DNS issue. "No ethernet cable attached" straight up means what it says. Your PC seems to lose ethernet connectivity randomly. What you are describing sounds like a Hardware problem. Could be the cable or your ethernet port on the PC or the ethernet port on the router. Start swapping around and see whats what.

Pinging your local loopback address (127.0.0.1) doesnt really tell us much in that case.

You could try forcing the IP add on your PC, it might be worth a shot if if you feel like its not hardware related. I seriously doubt it though.

As far as routers are considered, I would stay the hell away from Dlink. I have gone through 2 of those f**kers. Shitty build quality with crappy support. Linksys or Netgear are both decent picks. I am partial to Linksys myself.

Edit Also worth resetting your TCP IP and Winsock.

Open command prompt with admin access.

Type - netsh int ip reset

Press enter

Type - netsh winsock reset.

Press enter

Restart

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Like 1