FIFA 12

TheDribbler

The last two games increased the realism, but not the fun factor.

elucidate, will ya ?

fifa 11 for me is the perfect fifa till now. I did however never played fifa 09, somehow that is the only fifa i missed (rrod 360 in that year) since i started with fifa 02 world cup.

I think EA already has a solid engine and now they are putting a few more bells and whistles around it. When I saw soul and passion I was a bit confused but I suppose going to stadiums and hearing the crowds scream your name negatively might add some sauce to the game but that would die out eventually too. As far as Team AI goes, if they can get a more intricate team management mechanism and afford the ability for free-space and movement creativity from a management POV or total-customization then I think they'd have a winner on their hands.

P.S. +1 to the referee idea

elucidate, will ya ?

fifa 11 for me is the perfect fifa till now. I did however never played fifa 09, somehow that is the only fifa i missed (rrod 360 in that year) since i started with fifa 02 world cup.

U missed the best FIFA version yet.FIFA 11 no doubt is good,but the realism in the game takes away the fun part E.g: Overpowered defenders,pro passing,goals are hard to come by & goals from lobs are hard.All these things weren't present in FIFA 09.

^^

how does "overpowered defenders" qualifies as realism? that's just BS. also, pro passing, my foot. i played the demo, of every fifa game, till now, and personally, I find fifa 11's passing system the worst. Really, same pass, with same power to same player, every time, and result is different every single freaking time, like game doesn't give a rat's a*s about your input, and decide the output randomly. Don't believe me, try it in arena.

On topic, every year, its the same sh*t. everyone going crazy about the game's promises, and within a week of release, every one is bitchin about one issue or other. Heck, last year also, they promised better AI. Apart from that passion and soul sh*t, what else is new this year? Its like, every year, in last 1month, they just update rosters, change a few things here and there, change a few variable set, and pay the reviewers to call it best fifa ever. Heck, even games like ME2, GOW3, had a few negative reviews, but fifa never has any negative points at all. <_<

elucidate, will ya ?

They've been overdoing the player physicality and jostling over the last two years.

The design now encourages close, short passing rather than free flowing play. It wants you to play more safe and less creative in the name of realism.

Making gameplay harder doesn't make it realistic; just scrappy.

There's realism in some departments (animations, player physics) and not in others (scripted passing, stunted off the ball movement). If you're going to make a true-to-life simulation, it has to be across the board.

They've been overdoing the player physicality and jostling over the last two years.

The design now encourages close, short passing rather than free flowing play. It wants you to play more safe and less creative in the name of realism.

Making gameplay harder doesn't make it realistic; just scrappy.

There's realism in some departments (animations, player physics) and not in others (scripted passing, stunted off the ball movement). If you're going to make a true-to-life simulation, it has to be across the board.

Why they made the game pretty hard in every term with the name of realism atleast as far as i am concerned is to reduce the score lines and bring some closeness in the game,to bring some excitement in the game whereas if you take the old Fifa's if even both players are good easily score 4+ both the sides or atleast one side which is not the cas over here..

And this pass thing,Making it tougher did actually increase the realistic feeling as in a real football No one can pass we do in Fifa from last years even in this year it aint that tough,it is just bit different.

PS - EA forgot the fact that they are making a video game.

It doesn't have to be perfect to be fun. Hell, if I had to review PES 2011 based on its pros and cons, I'd probably give it a 7, but there's a fun factor that can mask many of its obvious flaws. It's the same with FIFA 11. For most people, the level of realism makes up for the lack of sheer fun and jump-out-of-your-seat-and-punch-the-air moments (I've actually done that while played PES). I guess it depends in what you're looking for. I love racing sims, so I obviously have nothing against realism, but not at the expense of fun.

^^

fifa has realism only in stupid areas. core gameplay still depends on the same mechanics, "feed the engine, attributes of player and choose random animation, and output". if you ever look closely in replays, ball mostly goes in different direction as it should according to animation. whole game actually depends on rand function. and that is not at all realistic.

It doesn't have to be perfect to be fun. Hell, if I had to review PES 2011 based on its pros and cons, I'd probably give it a 7, but there's a fun factor that can mask many of its obvious flaws. It's the same with FIFA 11. For most people, the level of realism makes up for the lack of sheer fun and jump-out-of-your-set-and-punch-the-air moments (I've actually done that while played PES). I guess it depends in what you're looking for. I love racing sims, so I obviously have nothing against realism, but not at the expense of fun.

Take the case of Gran Turismo 5,it is very realistic but do you think there is anything called fun factor in there for anyone other than big time Racing Sim fans? No a Big No.the way you compare Fifa and PES in the above post considering the fact Fun is just like Comparing GT5 with Forza 3 and say Forza 3 is better because that game is more enjoyable than GT5 can be to normal players..

The way fifa have enhanced in this series alone is unbelievable just because they made it a bit tougher doesn't mean it doesn't fun factor in it,Trust me play this game on regular basis and get to know the passing styles. Heck you wont stop playing then

well i suppose then it comes down to personal preference. I find more fun in realism, the kind fifa has right now.

Exactly

^^

fifa has realism only in stupid areas. core gameplay still depends on the same mechanics, "feed the engine, attributes of player and choose random animation, and output". if you ever look closely in replays, ball mostly goes in different direction as it should according to animation. whole game actually depends on rand function. and that is not at all realistic.

Making it realistic as per your post only in stupid areas got them this many hates and if they make it fully realistic i bet none of you will even buy. :doh:

Fix the bloody servers !!! :rant:

My games lag most of the time :samui:

lol... i hardly get any games with lag.... 1 in a month maybe..... that is in 1v1....

but then i don't face lag in BAP mode either (5v5 or more)... although my team mates do....

On topic, every year, its the same sh*t. everyone going crazy about the game's promises, and within a week of release, every one is bitchin about one issue or other.

not everyone bitches about the game... :giggle:

It doesn't have to be perfect to be fun. Hell, if I had to review PES 2011 based on its pros and cons, I'd probably give it a 7, but there's a fun factor that can mask many of its obvious flaws. It's the same with FIFA 11. For most people, the level of realism makes up for the lack of sheer fun and jump-out-of-your-set-and-punch-the-air moments (I've actually done that while played PES). I guess it depends in what you're looking for. I love racing sims, so I obviously have nothing against realism, but not at the expense of fun.

i've had plenty of those in fifa11 :naughty:

Making it realistic as per your post only in stupid areas got them this many hates and if they make it fully realistic i bet none of you will even buy. :doh:

All the hate is for them using same old code with just a few changes every year. If the bugs from fifa 09 are fixed, and it is shipped as fifa 12, most of us, will buy it happily. Plus, I am not asking for a completely realistic game, but a bit less of randomness, and more of physics would be appreciated. Or else, they can go, fifa 98 route.. make it arcade-y cocktail of fifa 11 and fifa street! At the very least, they should promise something more to the game, than just same old dailogs of improved ai and passing.

not everyone bitches about the game... :giggle:

Noobs never bitch about real bugs. <_<

:P

The fun is all relative I suppose but when you look at the engine and how its come up for the past two iterations there really hasn't been any 'true' football focus in terms of having teams operate as units rather than put some fancier controls on jostling and having the players do passes and exhibit characteristics. Perhaps the selling point of realism has overshadowed the fact that EA are making a football-sim based on realism and not something you can really get behind. Have they fracked the mechanics to offer players more of a challenge? sure but in the process what are you really giving to people that are playing the game from a footballing perspective? I found it a bit dreamy and floaty at times but then again I do give them a fair-chance every time they put a new iteration out. I like my football games to be more tactical than close quarter football and with PES you'll see the AI dip the ball across the screen at times to counteract your play which is something I found wasn't very apparent in FIFA plus those interim videos showing stats imo were totally pointless. Still ... I can honestly say that EA has the right engine they just need to focus more on the football and less on the realism and you'll have a winner in v12 which is what they seem to be doing.

Although I can say this with absolute certainty, you go to Thailand and ask some kid whether he wants to play FIFA with you and he'll just look at you with glaring eyes and say "No Winning Eleven?" lol

the way you compare Fifa and PES in the above post considering the fact Fun is just like Comparing GT5 with Forza 3 and say Forza 3 is better because that game is more enjoyable than GT5 can be to normal players..

The difference is I'm not comparing the fun factor of PES and FIFA. The fact that I like PES is a different matter and my liking PES has nothing to do with my not enjoying FIFA 10/11. I'm comparing FIFA 10 and FIFA 11 to FIFA 09. I've played every FIFA game since FIFA 96, so I've seen how the series has progressed. I don't see how playing FIFA 11 on a regular basis is going to reveal something about the game that wasn't revealed in playing it for a month. The issues I had when I first played it exist till now and the things I liked about still exist too. All that would happen if I played on a regular basis is I would get more used to it and therefore get better at it. That applies to any game.

@dom: Was it after a backheel? :naughty:

Archived