The Android Thread

pArth

^^ The definition of an RTOS is pretty fuzzy these days..its hard to explain whats going on.. If you look at a phone there are so many components.. e.g. if you take any HTC android phone, its not just android OS running, there are other "OS"s as well..

infact sometime back there were other linux phones which had linux running on top/side with another OS..

Android in itself does not need to have hard real time constraints because it is mainly an apps/HL OS. The telephony part is where it needs real time performance and most of it comes from the baseband which runs a different "OS". Again whether the other "OS" is an OS or not is debatable..You can probably search and read about L4 and Rex. And there are things even on top of those.. its pretty confusing...

I call vxworks an RTOS because its only job is to run a slim kernel and provide basic services like scheduler/memory management etc that can provide you a deterministic response time. Rest everything has to be done by the developer. You can chose to be content with what vxworks gives and develop some apps/services on top of it or you can even chose to run another HLOS on top of it/along with it..

thanks shantz. I was interested in knowing if we can design a UE simulator using the android platform. I don't mind having any apps on it, I want it to receive calls/ perform handovers etc. But from your reply, I get it that android is not the one to be used for that purpose ?

guys need some help here.I was also thinking of buying the spica but my local hotspot is offering the galaxy for 14.2k.So is there any reason why I should choose the spica over the galaxy if am getting both at almost the same price??

Also if there are said reasons where can I get the spica.Please tell a location near nehru place.I have tried 4 stores and couldnt find even one which is selling.Do I get a memory card with it??

guys need some help here.I was also thinking of buying the spica but my local hotspot is offering the galaxy for 14.2k.So is there any reason why I should choose the spica over the galaxy if am getting both at almost the same price??

Also if there are said reasons where can I get the spica.Please tell a location near nehru place.I have tried 4 stores and couldnt find even one which is selling.Do I get a memory card with it??

GK1 Satnam electronics and Mascot studios

spica has the 2.1 android update .

galaxy isnt getting a update . Its stuck on 1.5 or 1.6

and spica is cheaper by around 2K .

Spica is like 12K in the market afaik.

thanks shantz. I was interested in knowing if we can design a UE simulator using the android platform. I don't mind having any apps on it, I want it to receive calls/ perform handovers etc. But from your reply, I get it that android is not the one to be used for that purpose ?

if you just want a simulator it should be possible.. android provides you the apis for fake calls etc through the emulator...

Hey guys, my friend has an Android phone and would like to know if there is any Skype voice chat application in the Android marketplace? I think he is on Android 1.8 or something.

he must mean 1.6.. and yes there are many apps you can use for skype.. most popular are fring and nimbuzz.. i am using nimbuzz..