Rage

rad2689

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Carmack: Rage runs faster on Xbox 360

In a ten-page reveal in its latest issue, Edge writes that the Xbox 360 version of Rage - which uses id's new Tech 5 engine - matches the 60fps framerate of the PC version, while PS3 runs at just "20-30fps".

It's not mentioned whether the PS3 framerate will be addressed by the game's eventual release.

"The PS3 lags a little bit behind in terms of getting the performance out of it," John Carmack told Edge. "The rasteriser is just a little bit slower - no two ways about that.

"The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off, and that's what a lot of the work has been, splitting it all into jobs on the PS3," he said.

Single Blu Ray disc v/s 100% performance increase. Hmmmmmmmmm......

--MT

Thats not so good. So it boils down to either 60 FPS on 2 DVDs or 30 FPS on 1 disc?

I will take 60 FPS on the hard disk with faster loading, higher resolution and at half the price. Option (P)C please. :angry:

In a ten-page reveal in its latest issue, Edge writes that the Xbox 360 version of Rage - which uses id's new Tech 5 engine - matches the 60fps framerate of the PC version, while PS3 runs at just "20-30fps".

It's not mentioned whether the PS3 framerate will be addressed by the game's eventual release.

"The PS3 lags a little bit behind in terms of getting the performance out of it," John Carmack told Edge. "The rasteriser is just a little bit slower - no two ways about that.

"The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off, and that's what a lot of the work has been, splitting it all into jobs on the PS3," he said.

lol .. the might Cell compared to the puny tri-core .. :angry:

@

Thats not so good. So it boils down to either 60 FPS on 2 DVDs or 30 FPS on 1 disc?

I will take 60 FPS on the hard disk with faster loading, higher resolution and at half the price. Option (P)C please. :angry:

The PC version will probably come on 5 DVDs so you'll have to juggle with the discs during the install atleast :P. This is unless they release it through steam too.

Also, I'm sure there'll be an option to install the game on the hard disks for both the consoles for those who have the free space. In fact it'll be stupid if they don't provide this option

Also, I'm sure there'll be an option to install the game on the hard disks for both the consoles for those who have the free space. In fact it'll be stupid if they don't provide this option

The PS3 doesnt offer the option to install the game completely. The X360 will benefit from the HDD install feature so the disc swap shouldn't affect those with enough HDD space, in addition to boosting load times and streaming performance.

The PS3 doesnt offer the option to install the game completely. The X360 will benefit from the HDD install feature so the disc swap shouldn't affect those with enough HDD space, in addition to boosting load times and streaming performance.

For the 360 I just hope they're smart enough to designate one disc for validation and don't make us swap discs when we access the 2nd disc's content off the HD.

How does it work for existing games with multiple discs? Can we use any disc for validation? Cause this would allow more than one person to play the game off a single copy.

How does it work for existing games with multiple discs? Can we use any disc for validation? Cause this would allow more than one person to play the game off a single copy.

Interesting question. I'll try it with my Lost Odyssey discs.

hmmm... strange. wasn't it running at 60 fps across all platforms when he demo'ed it 2 years(quake con) ago? also strange is that there was no mention of it in this months Game Informer, who also did a massive cover story preview. in fact IIRC, Carmack said that the PS3 ver was lagging behind but they made tremendous progress in the last couple of months and now all the versions are almost identical to each other.

Also i really really doubt that carmack would let the PS3 ver ship if its not 60fps, he's been harping about it ever since the id tech 5 was revealed.

edit: the CVG(EDGE) article also says thats it shipping on 4 dvd's where as Carmack and GI confirmed it was 3 :bigyellowgrin:

hmmm... strange. wasn't it running at 60 fps across all platforms when he demo'ed it 2 years(quake con) ago? also strange is that there was no mention of it in this months Game Informer, who also did a massive cover story preview. in fact IIRC, Carmack said that the PS3 ver was lagging behind but they made tremendous progress in the last couple of months and now all the versions are almost identical to each other.

Also i really really doubt that carmack would let the PS3 ver ship if its not 60fps, he's been harping about it ever since the id tech 5 was revealed.

edit: the CVG(EDGE) article also says thats it shipping on 4 dvd's where as Carmack and GI confirmed it was 3 :unsure:

I dont recall any specific mention of the framerate from the QC '07 demo. And even if it was, its quiet likely that it was possible because it was a pre-programmed fly through rather than a hands on, real time demo. Crmack also mentioned at that time that RAGE will ship on a sing BR for the PS3 and two DVDs for other platforms.

PS3 Version Of Rage Has Some Catching Up To Do

What's this? A predominantly PC-oriented developer (in this instance id) having trouble getting a game (in this instance Rage) running well on the PS3? You do. Not. Say.

In what's becoming a frustrating norm for PS3 owners, id's John Carmack has told Edge magazine that while the PC and 360 versions of Rage are running at a smooth 60 frames per second, the PS3 version is managing barely half that, clocking in at only 20-30 fps.

"The PS3 lags a little bit behind in terms of getting the performance out of it," Carmack explains. "The rasteriser is just a little bit slower - no two ways about that."

"The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off, and that's what a lot of the work has been, splitting it all into jobs on the PS3".

Shame. You'd think nearly three years into the console's lifespan, someone would have figured out a way around this by now. Unless, you know, there is no way around it.

Before someone comes in and discredits Carmack: this was the guy who was talking up the PS3 a few months back because Rage wouldn't fit on DVD9.

LOLZ FANBOYZ.

Archived