The Interesting Facts Thread

devil_angel

human body is a awesome creation

Damn, as soon as I read this, a sexy picture of Monica Bellucci flashed in my mind. The human mind is wonderful too :P

same thing happens while watching a 3D movie. It becomes a normal 2D image if i close one of my eyes.

I didn't know that. Usually, I get terrible head-aches watching 3D flicks, so never bothered to experiment :P

If you go blind in one eye, you lose only about 5% of your vision, but almost all your sense of depth.

There is a reason for it. It is impossible to perceive depth with only one sensor (could be camera or eye). It is similar to identifying depth by looking at a photo. Depth can however be established by using a pair of cameras (google stereo vision). Thus two eyes.

In computer science you use one camera to establish depth by taking two pictures (the second one is taken by rotating the camera along the vertical axis). I don't know if humans with vision in one eye can perceive depth by shaking their head.

There is a reason for it. It is impossible to perceive depth with only one sensor (could be camera or eye). It is similar to identifying depth by looking at a photo. Depth can however be established by using a pair of cameras (google stereo vision). Thus two eyes.

In computer science you use one camera to establish depth by taking two pictures (the second one is taken by rotating the camera along the vertical axis). I don't know if humans with vision in one eye can perceive depth by shaking their head.

What about videos recorded on a camera, we're still able to distinguish between objects in the foreground and background. Or am I confusing something else with this?

@ sup bro?

Cool link mate. I've come across a lot of those myths :|

What about videos recorded on a camera, we're still able to distinguish between objects in the foreground and background. Or am I confusing something else with this?

@ sup bro?

Cool link mate. I've come across a lot of those myths :|

Detecting background from foreground is easy in videos as the background moves very slowly as compared to the foreground. However humans can detect background from foreground even in a single still image. That is something that the scientific community has not been able to do yet. I like to think that the human brain has "learned" how to distinguish backgrounds throughout the duration of our lives. I hope that psychologists and neuroscientists find that answer to that question soon.

Detecting background from foreground is easy in videos as the background moves very slowly as compared to the foreground. However humans can detect background from foreground even in a single still image. That is something that the scientific community has not been able to do yet. I like to think that the human brain has "learned" how to distinguish backgrounds throughout the duration of our lives. I hope that psychologists and neuroscientists find that answer to that question soon.

Yeah, it sounds complicated. But I guess eventhough we are able to distinguish between the two, we're still not able to accurately assess the depth as we would if we see the thing in real life. And add to it the fact there is subtle blurring of part of the imagery other than what the camera is focussing on, which makes it easier for us to distinguish. And there comes in the concept of manipulating human vision as well. For eg., Cinematics use multiple focus points to manipulate vision of the viewer these days to make believe what not.

Archived