Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

I don't know what is the definition for "looking stand out" for you guys.

Playstation wants his seals to be slim and ripped like celvin klein models; others are mentioning stand out feature to be a jacked up super solider like bane on steroids. quite conflicting.

I have not seen US navy seals but have met NSG and indian version of SWAT and those guys fall some where in between. Strong enough to cause damage in fisticuffs but not as bulky as to have their movements restricted. As for the other extreme, the skinny ripped dudes are just good for aesthetics, most won't stand in a fight.

Elite forces don't mean you have an extra pack of abs or 4+ inch in arms; its more to do with conditioning, endurance and skill.

Edited by Nemo

Playstation wants his seals to be slim and ripped like celvin klein models; others are mentioning stand out feature to be a jacked up super solider like bane on steroids. quite conflicting.

I have not seen US navy seals but have met NSG and indian version of SWAT and those guys fall some where in between. Strong enough to cause damage in fisticuffs but not as bulky as to have their movements restricted. As for the other extreme, the skinny ripped dudes are just good for aesthetics, most won't stand in a fight.

Elite forces don't mean you have an extra pack of abs or 4+ inch in arms; its more to do with conditioning, endurance and skill.

I don't know, man! Gears taught me different. I always thought elite forces in Gears were the realistic depiction.

i know its sarcasm without reason (if its not then :doh: @ you) but there is a reason why cogs in gears of war look so damn huge, apart from their suit/armor adding massive girth and cliffy b having a vince mcmahon'esq boner for jacked up guys, the cogs are so massive because in comparison the avg human in gears world is like one of them sub saharan citizens, there is a huge scarcity of food and only ones who battle the locust get extra and nutritious rations. Read it in the book.. jacinto something was the title.

i know its sarcasm without reason (if its not then :doh: @ you) but there is a reason why cogs in gears of war look so damn huge, apart from their suit/armor adding massive girth and cliffy b having a vince mcmahon'esq boner for jacked up guys, the cogs are so massive because in comparison the avg human in gears world is like one of them sub saharan citizens, there is a huge scarcity of food and only ones who battle the locust get extra and nutritious rations. Read it in the book.. jacinto something was the title.

Your sarcasm detector needs some calibrations. The results are not accurate. Ask Garrus to help you out.

Nah... blame it on Epic Games/UE3. At that time Unreal Engine meant hulked up dudes in heavy armor.

Saw Prometheus for the second time. I really REALLY like it. I am not sure why Alien(s) fans were disappointed but to me its almost a perfect Sci fi horror film. Easily the best sci fi film in recent times, way beyond stuff like Inception and Sunshine (which I thought was MASSIVELY overrated). And the special effects are sublime.

And that Med Pod scene never gets easier to watch. Still made me clench up super hard.

Saw Prometheus for the second time. I really REALLY like it. I am not sure why Alien(s) fans were disappointed but to me its almost a perfect Sci fi horror film. Easily the best sci fi film in recent times, way beyond stuff like Inception and Sunshine (which I thought was MASSIVELY overrated). And the special effects are sublime.

And that Med Pod scene never gets easier to watch. Still made me clench up super hard.

I kind of liked it too and the blu-ray is reference quality. The film is simply gorgeous.

Now the movie itself isn't without problems. Mainly the characters. For a serious sci-fi flick there are too many stupid people pretending to be smart. The scene with the geologist dude and the alien worm is seriously cringeworthy. Shaw walking around bloody and half-naked and no one giving a sh*t about what happened etc. Stuff like this really dragged the movie down as a whole. Also the fact that it pretty much ends on a cliffhanger and leaves most of the questions unanswered can bother some.

With some tight writing and better character development it could have been a modern sci-fi classic. Still there's plenty to like. I absolutely LOVED the visuals, Fassbender was brilliant as usual, the production design was fantastic and the creature design fits well alongside Giger's originals. I love the Trilobite creature at the end. And like you mentioned the medpod scene is brutal.

I actually LOVE that it ended on a cliff hanger. But then again I have a thing for endings like that (also loved Halo 2's cliff hanger ending as a point of reference). To me the mark of a good sci fi film or a game is that it should answer enough questions to keep you interested while its going on but its always great if it can leave you with more questions when it ends. Personally I dont need closure.

The characters acting a little "hokey" is fine by me too. No worse than what goes on in Alien and Aliens.

My only real complaint about the film is that the deleted scenes dont add much and I really would have liked a Directors cut version with something more substantial in between.

Also its a crying shame that the TED speech by Guy Peirce ends up as just an extra on the disc instead of making it in the movie somewhere. He was fantastic in that speech. Ditto for Fassbender's David "advertisement". Both are phenomenally well acted sequences that deserved to be in the film. But then again, I am not sure where you could fit them in.

Please tell me how Navy SEALS should look like??

THIS.

PS the way you're talking one would think you're the recruiting officer who knows exactly what a SEAL team member looks like. They are soldiers too and aren't gonna look any different - the reason they get drafted in is because they stand out in their skills, endurance and dedication - not because they look any different. They aren't gonna look like Spartans when every other soldier looks like a wimpy UNSC trooper - I hope you get that analogy.

One of our PMs (Product Manager) was ex-Delta force stationed at Fort Bragg before he got a degree. The bugger looks fit but he doesn't stand out like he's some super soldier or like he'd bite your head off if you talk to him, just a usual guy.

I made a post yesterday replying to snake and gaurav...once again it got deleted when i pressed back button to delete something it took me to back page only. :ack:

anyways will post again

This is Michael monsoor- Navy seals usa died in Iraq...and below him training with others and further below british SAS and russian FSB...they all have distinctive feature ...compare them to what we saw in the movie...Usually see the difference between facial and body structure only .

AS navy seals in the movie i did not find them much convincing. It felt half hearted attempt in the movie to show navy seals...just come with pumped up body to the sets was the criteria...

nbnjASh.jpg

397px-Endurance_training_--_August_2004.

Russian FSB

evcG5PL.jpg

MARCOS /NSG

nuFSzpx.jpg

TjzhXAN.jpg

I would suggest you to watch "Moon" starring Sam Rockwell, sci-fi, no horror though. It probably is my most favorite scifi movie I watched in recent times.