No media playback capability for so called next gen console Ps4

It is a valid point by the OP, a feaature that was there in the previous Console, should have usually been the building block. There is no doubt the console was rushed, but it was advertised to play games to begin with, so it does. The media capabilities will come with time, and till then as GS said use Media server.

What is disappointing the most is missing youtube app, though sincei have a Chromecast now, i am ok, but would have expected that to show up by now atleast.

The media features will come eventually, they're mostly focusing on gaming side atm, which I appreciate more since I have separate dedicated HTPC. Realized long time back that you can't rely on consoles for serious media features and want to manage library of 10TBs worth of media.

Let's see what happens and they are giving media support or not, but if Xbox is giving the please provide that's all I am saying... Its like you are giving bigger and better engine in racing car but you have removed NOS

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

:rofl:

What I don't understand is why buy a console without knowing what the console does? And then selling a day old "gaming" console because it doesn't play movies off USB is something I cannot even imagine.

Either way stay calm and wait. Eventually "greatness awaits"

Lol.. I am not selling it.. That's was just a comment.. And I just missed this feature that's all.. One thing is for sure everyone here loves ps4

I also love it but missing one small feature as I used to watch ufc in my ps3

You guys are saying that it's gaming device so these features don't matter, so if I relate the statement mobile device is for calling but everyone is using every possible feature available so why u need these features in phone.. U have to use Nokia 1100 not android or iOS as it is serving the basic purpose very well which is.... calling

You guys are saying that it's gaming device so these features don't matter, so if I relate the statement mobile device is for calling but everyone is using every possible feature available so why u need these features in phone.. U have to use Nokia 1100 not android or iOS as it is serving the basic purpose very well which is.... calling

Lol you don't need those features. f**k I don't even use the cam. Besides I don't think anyone buys a phone without knowing what it offers. I'm still using an iPhone 3GS. Never felt the need to upgrade. It's does the job I "need" it to do man.

I see your point but you're mixing up entertainment with necessity. Should a ps4 play movies off usb as well? Nope. But it is a good feature to have. Is the ps4 broken without it? Nope.

There was nothing "rushed" about it

It was a unanimous industry decision to fight piracy by stopping unauthorised media support

That's why both systems(& many others) lacked this very simple feature

But M$ has done everything so far to gather more love with U turns

& that's why they U'd on this as well

But anyway.....Sony shouldn't wait now either

To hell with ethics......fighting competition is more important

Microsoft don't care because they aren't in the media industry.

But Sony are a major record and movies/TV company so it will affect them.

Microsoft don't care because they aren't in the media industry.

But Sony are a major record and movies/TV company so it will affect them.

Yup. Sony is having Music and Video unlimited service on PSN, where people can buy and play music, watch HD movies etc. They are earning revenue there. The USB movie and music playback for stuff downloaded off the internet (iTunes, torrents, mostly torrents actually i.e. pirated) wont give them any revenue. But due to peer pressure they will give the feature eventually.

If torrent is illleagle which I know it Is, then companies should take steps to stop pirated torrent sites.. It is possible that I have purchased some movie or music via pc and then I want to watch the same through my ps4

If torrent is illleagle which I know it Is, then companies should take steps to stop pirated torrent sites.. It is possible that I have purchased some movie or music via pc and then I want to watch the same through my ps4

Yup, but even playing those via PS4 doesn't given any revenue to Sony. And it is not Sony's job to stop pirated torrent sites.

Agree with your point.. But all these companies and movies companies can make alliance to stop pirated sites

Everyone tried and failed. It is impossible to stop torrents. They have somewhat stopped it in US because ISPs monitor your torrents and give warnings, but in countries like ours, its impossible. And 90% of people here asking for USB movie playback are looking forward to playing their pirated movies only, so theres that.

Nah. Look at it this way. I've already spent billions on a technology to prevent piracy. Now that those billions have been wasted why would I spend a billion more to shut down some sites which will only spring up again in a different form? I'll rather restrict playback on devices that I have a control over and force people to buy a legal copy. So there will be people who suffer but as a business I have to first safeguard my interests without losing focus on what I'm advertising. A great gaming console. That is my selling point. Also adding it in after its heavily demanded also gives me brownie points but till its added there are people who may buy instead of pirating.

Edit : Ambar said it perfectly well.

I don't think its unreasonable to expect a Rs 40,000 device to be able to play music and videos off USB, or for it to support popular formats like MKV (which I'm sure Sony won't add this gen either).

Not everyone has the luxury of a home theatre system or the know-how to set up a streaming network.

Basic media features should simply be available out of the box.

Archived