Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

Yeah those moments were good Nemo. I was just expecting more.

you are putting too much thought into it. just enjoy without dissertation.

Also rumors are that there is about 50 mins of footage that did not make it to screens. Blu Ray cannot come sooner for Pacific rim !!

Damn that Pacific Rim main theme is so epic.... :punk: Can't stop listening.... :walkman:

f**king A man, f**king A.

I dont know what it is about the theme but it just sounds so godly, uplifting and heroic. Kind of like the MI2 theme but more suited for a team than mi2's individualistic score.

I can cancel all kinds of apocalypse when it is playing, hell i can even march into Hell and return to the sound of this theme.

I want this as my entrance theme every time i walk into a room. It is the kind of music when you hear you know no matter of the depth of sh*t you are in, day is going to be saved by.. someone.. anyone. So epic indeed B)

Okay. Here's the problem with Pacific Rim. The movie is too dark. Each and every 'epic' fight scene is without daylight, or even proper ambient light. Infact, the only scene in daylight is quite literally the absolute last scene in the movie.

The other problem is the one Transformers suffered from too, but to my mind, a slightly lesser extent than Pacific Rim (well I'm not including the 3rd film when I say this). Many times its just not clear what is happening and who is kicking who's a*s. The moves by the robots are so arbitrary and the movie clearly suffers because of "well if it could do that then why didn't it do so to that other equally horribly creepy alien earlier?".

I know I shouldn't be discussing plot holes in a film like this but sometimes the logic is just shot by a plasma cannon and then stomped on to make sure it was dead.

For eg:

Since Air Force isn't extinct, why couldn't it provide distractions and much needed artillery support? I mean, human race is on the brink of extinction and with all the world's nuclear power all they can say is "look, here's Jaeger and here's The Wall of Life. We're done here" ?!

Or, the EMP, Jesus. What?! That wasn't handled very well at all. And since when is a nuclear reactor "analog"?

The "reason" for the visits: hello, Independence Day much?

This may seem extremely nit-picky of me but when my suspension of disbelief is disturbed it really doesn't feel very nice.

Also, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, the dialog couldn't be worse. I was accurately "guessing" the next dialog 90% of the time. Not exaggerating here.

Still, a fun one time watch but not the awesomeness I was hoping it would be.

Still 2, some moments really were epic.

Hong Kong ka to Hong Keema bana diya :lol:

Edited by achilles

Fallout: Nuka Break - Red Star [Fan Film] ^_^

Edit: 15 Interesting facts about Forrest Gump

http://littlewhitelion.com/15-interesting-facts-about-forrest-gump-33065/

On the first page, Forrest Gump tells readers, “Don’t never let nobody make a movie of your life’s story.”

Edited by Heaven Angel

Okay. Here's the problem with Pacific Rim. The movie is too dark. Each and every 'epic' fight scene is without daylight, or even proper ambient light. Infact, the only scene in daylight is quite literally the absolute last scene in the movie.

there was a dayight fight scene when Striker Eureka is shown for the first time in action at the sydney harbor Albeit it was on tv and was barely half a minute. Would have loved to see more of that, Hansen looked in total swagger zone.

as for your complaints-

1. True that air force is still there but what is the point of using them when they are not effective at all. The planes would be like flies to the kaiju, would not slow it down in any way and will actually cause loss of man power and important resources (jets arent cheap to built). Another thing is that who is to say the attacks from planes wont hurt Jaeger by mistake. Kaiju and jaeger always go hand to hand and it'd be very difficult for the plane to exclusively hit the reptile. The jets cant hover at one spot like a chopper and wait for the jaeger to throw the kaiju at a safe hitting zone, they have to be constantly moving and as such it becomes difficult for the pilots in the robot to co-ordinate with those in the jets. And this is assuming that the planes have the arsenal capable enough to hurt the beings the size and power of a kaiju and a jaeger.

They cannot use nuclear power (from jets if you are asking that) at a kaiju directly on land as kaijus have highly acidic blood. It is explained very early in the movie. If they blow up them the parts and residue goes flying in every direction and cause many other problems to people living. Also you have to factor in the collateral damage caused by a nuclear bomb in the first place. These methods to kill a kaiju will cause more harm to local civilization than the kaiju would itself.

Allmost all the weapons used by jaegers have that one property of star wars' light saber. They seal (or try their best to) the wound they make in the kaiju so as little blood as possible is spilled.

2. Yeah the analogue part was :blink: I guess it was either poorly worded or was not thought through well by the writers. Even analogue machines use electricity.

Edited by Nemo

Damn you guys! Want to book Pacific Rim for tomorrow at IMAX 3D for 580 bucks ..So bloody expensive..Can't wait for the weekdays

@Anda man:- Which weekday ur going, Will come with ya.. but only IMAX 3D. Lemme know if ur interested.

@Anda man:- Which weekday ur going, Will come with ya.. but only IMAX 3D. Lemme know if ur interested.

me interssted :samui:

pls buy my flight ticket booked form LKO , pls pls pls . :samui: :samui: :samui:

Saw Pacific Rim. This is exactly what a summer blockbuster should be! Loved it. It doesn't skimp on the action, but doesn't overdo it either. And there's enough of story for you to get involved and empathise with the characters and feel for them. Well done, GDT. Michael Bay and Zack Snyder should take lessons from this guy.

Idris Elba's acting was superb. :majesty:

Not a single kiss scene in the movie, nor is there any skin show. Mild flirting is there near the end but nothing cringeworthy. Mad props to G. Del Toro for using Mako Mori as a character and not as woman character.

I so completely agree.

There was no proper romantic development between them and if they kissed it would seem like it's just for the sake of having a kiss between the leads because 'thats how its supposed to be'. I like the idea that they did get close to each other as friends.

However, there's a scene in the movie where, as they're gearing up in the Jaiger, Rayleigh tells her "I've never had good timing. I want to tell you something" and then it cuts to something else and that part is never touched upon again. So, MAYBE GDT was intending something romantic but decided to cut it out at the last moment.

@Achilles - I completely agree with all your points, but that didn't really spoil the experience for me.

I so completely agree.

There was no proper romantic development between them and if they kissed it would seem like it's just for the sake of having a kiss between the leads because 'thats how its supposed to be'. I like the idea that they did get close to each other as friends.

However, there's a scene in the movie where, as they're gearing up in the Jaiger, Rayleigh tells her "I've never had good timing. I want to tell you something" and then it cuts to something else and that part is never touched upon again. So, MAYBE GDT was intending something romantic but decided to cut it out at the last moment.

Yup, that is what i meant by mild flirting. It always struck as something very odd when in midst of a world ending calamity two total strangers (particularly the arch typical "i cant keep my dick in my pants" jock) find time to spend precious hours wooing each other. GDT handled it really well, he showed some feeling of affection and respect building between the pair but also steered away from giving the romance building to take of screen time, in fact there was no overt display of any such thing. All he showed was "these tow people care about each other and might become involved later, but that is after apocalypse has been cancelled and if they both survive".

and thank god for not turning the end scene into a james bond/fifth element type public sexy time ending with a cheesy line of 'employing diplomatic bondings'. The blond guy and mako just smiled and hugged like two friends accomplishing and surviving a job well done.

Saw Pacific Rim. This is exactly what a summer blockbuster should be! Loved it. It doesn't skimp on the action, but doesn't overdo it either. And there's enough of story for you to get involved and empathise with the characters and feel for them. Well done, GDT. Michael Bay and Zack Snyder should take lessons from this guy.

Idris Elba's acting was superb. :majesty:

lucknow mein idris ki biryani bhi milti hai :fear:

@ birdy, kabhi khayee hai ? :fear: