The Careers Thread

MarketTantrik

Hi all

This is my first post here and I am sure I am the only one with the kind of dilemma that stares at me this very moment. I passed my BTech with an average of 7.15 in CSE this year and almost as soon as that I joined a firm in the capacity of a tech journalist (You have read it right). My mistake was that I thought that the position was something like a miniature version of Gizmodo or Endgadget, but sadly it was not. The work I did was concerned mainly with reblogging and stuff. Still everything was great till 6 months, ie till the time we were due for a raise. The promise in the campussing documents was a 50 % hike, but unfortunately the firm decided to ignore all of that and asked us to wait for another 6 months. Stuck in a job I hated and worse with a very meagre pay I decided that enough was enough and planned to quit the organization. MBA was my goal and I had planned to wait for a couple of years before i even try. It seems now that my plans have just been sent to the cleaners. I went for an Interview with a Bpo firm yesterday and I was told that I could join it anyday I want to with a slightly better scale. I was thinking about applying for the big tech companies but I have been out out of touch for like 6 months.

My question is to all of you is that please guide me as to what I do right now. The firm is behaving very oddly and all the fresh recruits are leaving one by one. Even now if I study and appear for the CAT I'll be jobless for about a year. Even considering that I left.My severance package being the realease order others failed to procure. I wanted to ask all of you if what I am doing is correct or there is any other way out of this jam (like joining a bpo or something).. My top priority is getting an MBA done from a reputed insti

If you can't code, you can always become a solutions architect :P

Blasphemy :nono: but yeah the industry has diversified so much that having an IT Degree truly doesn't dictate your success at what your doing. Liking what your doing is key to making it big anywhere and I have learned that over the 10 odd years i've been writing code and reformulating interfaces. We had a guy who was a neuro-surgeon and the man is now doing heat-maps for GUIs but that's what he likes and he has no regrets in his choice. If only HR listened to me when I wanted to hire the guy for our first project tsk tsk tsk.

Alright heres a question,

Previously I had considered applying for foriegn universities but I rejected that idea for graduation due to the fact that I wanted to do it in India,and a sudden change of scenery wasnt palpable.

Now I am in 11nth about to go to 12th this year,science stream and I dont think I have a huge chance of making it into IIT,since I haven't even started studying for competitives.

My question is is it possible to have a mediocre (leaning towards weak) graduation and then a strong post grad in foreign/domestic in say MBA?

Yes, it is possible. Though that means you'll have to work after your under-grad degree and really shine at whatever you do. But when competing for the top jobs it's always better to have a strong university backing and a strong academic record as well as projects.

I'm assuming you're of an engineering bent of mind. I don't know how it works where you live, but in my university (Anna Univ, Chennai - no, i'm not in some affiliated college of anna univ :P) you need to have a specific academic criteria for you to be able to even appear for an interview.

For instance, the big name companies that come in the first few rounds of placements do look at your CGP (eg. "only 8.5+ allowed to sit for this interview") and insist on totally no history of arrears and no standing arrears. These include Microsoft, eBay, Google, Nvidia, facebook, Deloitte, Texas Instruments and such (though facebook i think took only some IITians this year and paid them whopping 38 lakh and 70 lakh salaries :eyepop: . Btw this is direct dollar conversion, so don't be amazed, it's not really like he's gonna earn in dollars and spend in rupees lol).

Sure you can end up in TCS or Infosys like everyone else with a mundane job even with mediocre marks but do you really want to drop down low during your undergrad and then have to claw your way back up to the top later while you're working someplace where you don't feel like you've achieved anything special? Get into someplace decent - the IITs (I don't have much of an opinion on the 'new' ones they're setting up), NITs, BITS, Anna Univ, PSG Tech, IT-BHU, Delhi College of Engineering etc... some place of repute where you're assured of good placements and a good education. And study hard. Even if you don't top your class, do well enough that you don't need to hide any grades from anyone. Then you can get a good job, have enough work ex and have a resume that helps you out when you're applying for a good school, whether that be in India or abroad (after taking your GMAT, or GRE - stanford's GSB and MIT Sloan accept GRE scores too).

Mediocre just doesn't cut it in today's competitive world. And it's definitely not right to approach things the way you are doing - as in, "I'll not do well until I graduate and for PG I'll somehow do real awesome".

So the answer to your question is "you definitely can, but you sure don't want to have a mediocre graduation" .

Edited by Gaurav - Solitaire

Hi all

This is my first post here and I am sure I am the only one with the kind of dilemma that stares at me this very moment. I passed my BTech with an average of 7.15 in CSE this year and almost as soon as that I joined a firm in the capacity of a tech journalist (You have read it right). My mistake was that I thought that the position was something like a miniature version of Gizmodo or Endgadget, but sadly it was not. The work I did was concerned mainly with reblogging and stuff. Still everything was great till 6 months, ie till the time we were due for a raise. The promise in the campussing documents was a 50 % hike, but unfortunately the firm decided to ignore all of that and asked us to wait for another 6 months. Stuck in a job I hated and worse with a very meagre pay I decided that enough was enough and planned to quit the organization. MBA was my goal and I had planned to wait for a couple of years before i even try. It seems now that my plans have just been sent to the cleaners. I went for an Interview with a Bpo firm yesterday and I was told that I could join it anyday I want to with a slightly better scale. I was thinking about applying for the big tech companies but I have been out out of touch for like 6 months.

My question is to all of you is that please guide me as to what I do right now. The firm is behaving very oddly and all the fresh recruits are leaving one by one. Even now if I study and appear for the CAT I'll be jobless for about a year. Even considering that I left.My severance package being the realease order others failed to procure. I wanted to ask all of you if what I am doing is correct or there is any other way out of this jam (like joining a bpo or something).. My top priority is getting an MBA done from a reputed insti

First of all don't kick yourself for how you wanted things and what they became.. To me you are still in safe zone careerwise.

What are your office timings? Can't you prepare for an MBA enterance with this job that you have as TechJournalist? Or do you need to keep a job to fund your MBA education or you have the support to leave job and prepare for MBA full time by taking six months break.

What is your motivation of doing an MBA when you are a B.Tech. Would you like to do an MBA in Information Technology?

Joining a BPO can be an option only if you need more money to fuel your education. Then you can join a BPO that works in a shift that allows you study time at Night/Morning. Mostly BPO life takes a toll on you, also de-focus the attention from studies and people mostly end up in a BPO gamut only.. Though you hate your current job, I assume that atleast it allows you to work on Day Shift.

Can suggest more if you can answer my questions.

First of all don't kick yourself for how you wanted things and what they became.. To me you are still in safe zone careerwise.

What are your office timings? Can't you prepare for an MBA enterance with this job that you have as TechJournalist? Or do you need to keep a job to fund your MBA education or you have the support to leave job and prepare for MBA full time by taking six months break.

What is your motivation of doing an MBA when you are a B.Tech. Would you like to do an MBA in Information Technology?

Joining a BPO can be an option only if you need more money to fuel your education. Then you can join a BPO that works in a shift that allows you study time at Night/Morning. Mostly BPO life takes a toll on you, also de-focus the attention from studies and people mostly end up in a BPO gamut only.. Though you hate your current job, I assume that atleast it allows you to work on Day Shift.

Can suggest more if you can answer my questions.

Yes megz thank you for your reply. Yes I can and have left my job as I am fortunate enough to have a mother who will support me (also I have money from all these times saved so that I am able to take care of my own expenses like one uc 3)

See megz the job required night shifts out of me from for like 12 hrs at a strech. I have left this job primarily because it did not seem to be morally upright because of the false claims among other things. And regarding the money I am pretty sure the job would not have funded even a fraction of my mba education

Moreover honestly speaking I want to make a move and shift my career towards the non tech side as I don't want to be a coder

. this was primaryly the reason of taking that job up in the first place as well and I did not consider the offers of a wipro or a tcs (in my alma matter these are the holy grails). I want to move from tech and given the opportunity I would want to take up finance or hr.

I can support myself till the biggies like cat and other exams this year.

Edited by Vip3r

IMHO, MBA has become a fad. I've seen tons of MBAs coming who know jack about "managing" anything.

I'm talking about some MDI Gurgoan guys who came from some consultancy giving a huge presentation about restructuring our firm (we've been under the weather since recession and face labour issues being in manufacturing) So they presented a well roted presentation on how they plan to bring us out of the red. Man, I asked them a few simple questions about the process, they were clueless!! They didn't know squat about the industry, the challenges the industry in general faces from the govt, competition from countries with cheaper labour etc. I mean I didn't even go into the technical stuff, but they didn't have any knowledge about the very thing they were telling they would do in the next 6 months.

I was shocked when I heard they were from MDI. Fact is, most of these so called MBAs become mindless drones (no offence to any MBA here, you know who im talking about tho). If you have it in your blood and you're hardworking AND smart enough, you can survive and rise up the ranks or heck even start up your own venture without any MBA. Although yes, you're more attractive to recruiters if you have an MBA, but that is not the be all end all. MBA or not, you need to be 100% aware of what you are doing or planning to do. You should have try and have complete knowledge of your intended field of work/domain.

In spite of all this, I do plan to do an MBA next year only because I want to explore expansion opportunities abroad.

Edited by Death Stryke

^^ well said ds. Same is the case in software companies. I'm in s/w dev for more than 7 years now, and I can see how the quality of our recruits are degarding progressively with every passing year. When I joined, we used to get grilled on puzzles and writing the most efficient programs. A non optimized program could cost someone his job. Now I hear HR guys coming to us and asking us to recruit anyone with little domain knowledge. Argument is they can be trained later on. This is not a good trend. We maybe making lot of jobs, but I feel that, somewhere down the line, in the greed to expand we are compromising heavily on the quality (education, competance etc). Hope the trend ends soon.

@Viper

I agree. Its great pay, no doubt. The high salaries are too attractive and everyone jumps on the MBA bandwagon.

But, my point was this, entrepreneurs and being able to manage and lead a team is something else. That will not come from books. But today, an MBA means you automatically become XYZ manager. Some might do well, most dont. Its easy to just work, so much more difficult to manage a team under you.

@Neo

Yeah, true. Another sad fact is chemical engineer or civil engineer, everyone is getting into IT. Whether or not the subject interests them is immaterial. But then again, money is good I suppose.

Edited by Death Stryke

Yeah, true. Another sad fact is chemical engineer or civil engineer, everyone is getting into IT. Whether or not the subject interests them is immaterial. But then again, money is good I suppose.

But that's what's become of the industry because of how its permeated into pretty much everything we do. Btw, do we have any doctors in the house or any PhD students? I'm just curious because I am thinking of applying for a PhD program in the near future.

Well MBA is not useless. They impart two things - how to handle stress from multiple scenarios, and teach you some basic tools for decision making. It's very important when you're making decisions at the early stages of your career that you're able to back it up with solid data and reasoning.

I While I can not disagree with the opinions out here I do have to say one thing. The education system in India is not a very holistic process. Given the choice I would have gladly taken up economics along with cs for my grads but you do have to compromise (hate the word) on many levels. Leave an MBA a Btech degree has been reduced to a lengthy joke. Have seen bloody 9 pointers getting sacked for incompetency within 4 months of training. Leaving that aside what more service does that bschool in India will offer other than a swanky placement. People are really of the view that a 5l pa job will set them up for life and all. And if the students really don't know anything why have all the hoopla about a CAt and what not? Bshcools are placement services Fact in the present economic senario they are necessary evils also fact

Yea...MBA is stupid. Doesn't really teach you anything. It can only improve what you already were good at. Anyway MBA in India is a joke. There's nothing to discuss when you haven't worked before and most of the MBA grads are freshers.

MBA right outta college is a bloody joke.

Whats MBA without work ex ?

+1 to that. As in, why do an MBA without work experience. Right out of college, straight to B school, just cos you are a math ace and good with english. And most of them engineers. FFS then why even learn engineering for 4 years. Atleast cement that by working for an engineering company or do a PG in an engineering field and work/do some research. but noooooo, everyone runs straight to a B-School thinking they'll get a 1 crore p.a offer :doh: which of course goes to people with a great deal of work experience and possibly more degrees before coming back to do an MBA.

MBA is not stupid. Most MBA institute selling MBA degrees like AC and Fridge are stupid.. and Stupid are students who do not take enterance test properly and then waste their parents money in these random MBA Institute. I get 5 Brochures every month with funny sounding names of some very crap Institutes..asking me for placement.

Again, motive is important.. Why do you want to do an MBA? For a job in Marketing, Finance or HR, to run your own Company or because you did Engineering in Civil and realise you do not have a cushioned job waiting. There are many tests these days that can help you analyse your bent of mind.

Also this whole fixation with MBA, Engineering, CA and Doctor really pisses me off. Some of my most successful friends are Channel Producers, Corporate Communication Professionals, PR, Actors, Animators, Radio Programmer, Sound Engineers, News Journalists, Experential trainer and Documentary makers.. And I see them enjoy their work each day as passionately as ever..

I can say that I am lucky to be a fast tracker in my career..and though I do admit that only an MBA does not make you a great leader or a business professional it does give you that edge, that push and a mention on your CV that works in longer run.

Try and be the cream in whatever you do.. Whether MBA or Engineering. Top 10% of any institute even small MBA school eventually do well in life. Otherwise, I have even see IIM passout getting sacked due to non performance..

MBA is not stupid. Most MBA institute selling MBA degrees like AC and Fridge are stupid.. and Stupid are students who do not take enterance test properly and then waste their parents money in these random MBA Institute. I get 5 Brochures every month with funny sounding names of some very crap Institutes..asking me for placement.

They're not saying MBA is stupid, they're saying MBA without any kind of work experience prior to it is not right.

Yeah I agree. Engg immediately followed by MBA has become such a tired cliche. But then everyone does it coz of the attraction with the pay packages. Most IIM students are freshers and engineers. And they ace the exams at the IIMs too and get placed in the best of companies like PwC or JPM or Goldman Sachs etc etc.

But the thing is, that is where it stops. That is where your degree or your MBA will get you. From the day 1 in your job till the next 30(?) years of life, it isn't the degree but you, your hard work, skill and most importantly people skills and general intelligence which will get you ahead in life. Coz afterwards, your experience counts the most and your degree will come in handy only if you're tied with someone else with similar results after an interview.

So yea Mr. IIMA has an equal chance of getting fired as anyone else if he is basically not fit for the job

Edited by Death Stryke