I made Kinect work with PS3

Shantz

Yes, the unthinkable has been achieved.

Microsoft's new XBOX 360 accessory, kinect has made a powerful entry into the market, becoming the fastest selling gadget of all time. Looks like their "You are the controller" tagline is working. Of course, Sony's "similar" accessory Move is selling well too but is far behind kinect adoption probably because nothing beats the lure of making something work with just "The Force" ;).

Now, of course, kinect doesn't work with PS3 obviously but then if we can't break the rules, we can at least bend them a little towards our way. I've created a mashup that allows you to use kinect as an input controller for the PS3.

Video of the whole thing in action, full source code, more details etc at Making Kinect Work With PS3

Your comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Edit: Added the video here:

Dude i still dont believe it but if u truly yourself achieved it u r nothing short of a genius. :wOOtjumpy:

But in the end just make sure that u arent in a legal battle with sony like they did to george hotz

BTW r u thinking of letting the secret used for this? :scratchchin:

Dude i still dont believe it but if u truly yourself achieved it u r nothing short of a genius. :wOOtjumpy:

But in the end just make sure that u arent in a legal battle with sony like they did to george hotz

1) since it doesn't in any way provide any sort of way that assists in privacy i dont think so

2) IN the OP there's a link to his blog, go through it

There is no secret :) I've put out the complete source code along with all dependencies and instructions on github. It's all there in the link I posted

Thanks all :)

Wait kinect works in game as well :O

yes, it does. However, I need to do a lot of work before it can be used as a "replacement" for the DS3 in game. For high reflex action games like KZ3, however, I don't think it would be usable unless I can hack it even more to let PS3 think that it's a move (but for that I need to have a move controller and I don't plan to spend on it as of now.)

Thanks Noctis. How do I do that?

http://n4g.com/site/faq

Basically each article is supposed to be voted on by the community once you put it up.

Why become a N4G member?

As a member of N4G you can participate in discussions as well as contribute news stories to the site. You will also get access to the pending news area which lets you read news stories before they go live on the main site. We also run monthly contests for our members. Becoming a member only takes a few seconds and is completely free. Click here to Join.

Who writes the news?

N4G is a community driven website, which means all news stories are posted by our members. Stories must have a valid source, which can be found via the Read Full Story link beneath each story. Instead of just having a handful of staff members N4G has thousands which search the net for the most interesting stories. This way N4G is able to cover many more news stories each day than traditional gaming news site.

Can I post news?

All members can submit news tips to the site but only N4G Contributors are allowed to submit actual news posts. To become an N4G contributor you must first take a short test to make sure you understand the basics behind news posting. If you pass the test you can start to submit news stories to the pending news area. However you will not become an official N4G contributor until 5 of your news stories have been approved by the community.

Can I post news from my own site?

Millions of hits are sent out each month to small and big websites from N4G. This makes N4G a great place for webmasters to get free traffic and pick up new readers. You can add a N4G share it button on your site or you can join N4G and become a contributor. However you will have no special privileges as a webmaster and you will have to follow the same rules as all other N4G members. Our administrators and mods also reserve the right to edit both the url and the text of your articles if necessary.

What is the purpose of the pending news section?

Before a news story can go live on the site it must first be reviewed and approved by the community. Only N4G contributors and administrators are allowed to approve news stories.

Who approves the news?

The news featured on the N4G homepage is approved by the community. However our administrators monitor the site on a daily basis and will sometimes remove approved stories from the homepage if necessary.

Ah, thanks gaurav. Will post there tomorrow morning then..

or if any of you is already a member, could you please post it there for me please?

Archived