Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)

Joy

WTF so many user reviews on Gamespot have avg rating of 5/10 for the PC version. :huh:

Most complaints I read are , crappy handling of cars not even as good as Burnout Paradise, no AA , and some graphical effects from console versions missing on PC , like u can't see the rain falling and cop cars lights have a fading effect compared to console which glow super bright.

Ethan what's ur take on these since u playing the PC version..

WTF so many user reviews on Gamespot have avg rating of 5/10 for the PC version. :huh:

Most complaints I read are , crappy handling of cars not even as good as Burnout Paradise, no AA , and some graphical effects from console versions missing on PC , like u can't see the rain falling and cop cars lights have a fading effect compared to console which glow super bright.

Ethan what's ur take on these since u playing the PC version..

I have maxed out every bit of detail and the performance is miles ahead of the console version. If I'm not mistaken console version frames are capped at 30fps, while on the PC, even if you have a sub-par hardware, you'll get 47fps on most occassions. For me, there are just minor drops while cornering and while driving through dusty areas. But then again, that's just my hardware ageing out. AA is missing from within the game, but it's reported that the drivers which enable MLAA option in ATI cards, AA works just fine.

Overall graphics are a mixed bag. In certain night sequences, the car detail is very dull and it almost looks like a PS2 title. But in some levels, like the Carerra GT one I mentioned earlier, you have variable weather effects. So it's night time combined with lightning and with wet roads. So it looks stunning at that point.

Day time environment looks amazing. You'll notice the vehicles look more vibrant, especially the red painted ones. I didn't notice much jagged-ness @1920x1080. Even your 8800GT would be able to max this out. I have played the demo on the 360 and it didn't seem very different on it. Not sure about the full game, but the PC version looks and runs beautifully.

As far as Car handling goes, I haven't tried the 360 version yet, but the PC version needs a lot of percision for obtaining Gold rating. The rubber-band AI doesn't help either. I'm not sure if this is an issue on the PC, or just poor coding.

I have maxed out every bit of detail and the performance is miles ahead of the console version. If I'm not mistaken console version frames are capped at 30fps, while on the PC, even if you have a sub-par hardware, you'll get 47fps on most occassions. For me, there are just minor drops while cornering and while driving through dusty areas. But then again, that's just my hardware ageing out. AA is missing from within the game, but it's reported that the drivers which enable MLAA option in ATI cards, AA works just fine.

Overall graphics are a mixed bag. In certain night sequences, the car detail is very dull and it almost looks like a PS2 title. But in some levels, like the Carerra GT one I mentioned earlier, you have variable weather effects. So it's night time combined with lightning and with wet roads. So it looks stunning at that point.

Day time environment looks amazing. You'll notice the vehicles look more vibrant, especially the red painted ones. I didn't notice much jagged-ness @1920x1080. Even your 8800GT would be able to max this out. I have played the demo on the 360 and it didn't seem very different on it. Not sure about the full game, but the PC version looks and runs beautifully.

As far as Car handling goes, I haven't tried the 360 version yet, but the PC version needs a lot of percision for obtaining Gold rating. The rubber-band AI doesn't help either. I'm not sure if this is an issue on the PC, or just poor coding.

Cool :) , what about the graphical effects missing on PC version as per many which I mentioned in my post.

Cool :) , what about the graphical effects missing on PC version as per many which I mentioned in my post.

I can't say for sure, since I haven't tried the full version on the 360, or the PS3. But judging from the demo, I didn't find any major difference. Trust me, the PC version looks really good and with higher frame rates compared to the console counterparts, I'd say it's a complete win. Wish they had released a PC demo too, so that you guys could actually give it a test run before, making your choice.

For the un-initiated what's a rubber-band AI?

Rubber Band AI is a hidden feature in racing games that allows computer-controlled players to catch up no matter how far back they are, artificially and unfairly 'balancing' gameplay.

If you have ever played a racing game and thought you were so far ahead that none of the CPU players could possibly catch you, only to have them make up a fifteen-second gap in three seconds, then you have experienced Rubber Band AI. This phenomenon is why a player racing against computer players can go from 8th to 1st and back again in Mario Kart in the span of a single lap. The term refers to the occurrence of AI-controlled racers suddenly accelerating faster than the character should be able to go, in order to close the distance between them and the player, as if a rubber band connected them and was pulling them back.

In short when u slow down AI slows down , when u go fast , AI goes even faster.

Archived