XCOM: Enemy Unknown

SRINI87

Its been on my to do list since like forever but finding a copy locally seems to be impossible. So waiting for a steam sale for it to drop to sub 20 bucks.

It was on sale on amazon downloads for 16$. Now 25$.

Cool. Soon as my time machine is finished, I will go back to the day it was on sale.

:lol:

@ tyler this is my first turn based strategy game, will replay in IRONMAN difficulty!!

are there any other turn based strategy games like this that is this good!! Total war has a bit of turn based strategy but i haven't come across any other game!!

are there any other turn based strategy games like this that is this good!! Total war has a bit of turn based strategy but i haven't come across any other game!!

TOTAL WAR is turn based movement on the grand campaign map, combined with micro-management of smaller details (like Tax rates) at a provincial level and real time tactics based battle maps.

You can check out the original Commando's (if you have not played them already), skip the third edition.

Civilizations has already been mentioned. So not much more to tell you.

Its been on my to do list since like forever but finding a copy locally seems to be impossible. So waiting for a steam sale for it to drop to sub 20 bucks.

Summer sale. It will definitely drop below 20.

:lol:

@ tyler this is my first turn based strategy game, will replay in IRONMAN difficulty!!

Civ is turn-based but somewhat different compared to XCOM (much grander in scope and the focus of those games isn't combat). I guess there aren't many XCOM like games. The old Syndicate and Jagged Alliance games come close (skip the new JA games though).

As Alpha mentioned, Commandos is a good suggestion but it's not turn-based. Still quite a challenging tactical game that's still fun to play.

Don't get too comfy, it doesn't take long for panic to start building.

Some tips:

- Satellites take priority over everything. Make sure you build and launch as many as you can afford.

- Engineers over Scientists and Soldiers. Whenever there's an option to pick one as a reward, take Engineers.

- You will probably never be able to save some cities, it's a hard choice but you have to accept it. A couple of countries will drop out, but it's okay.

- Research weapon/armor upgrades continously and do alien autopsies.

- You can sell all resources which aren't useful for research. Helps you get cash quickly.

- Squadsight perk for the Sniper is a MUST.

BTW, if you're talking about Japanese turn-based games, there's a ton of JRPGs with turn-based combat (it's a different beast). But if you're looking for something somewhat similar to XCOM look into Valkyria Chronicles. It's fairly recent so should be easy to find and it doesn't feel dated like many old games.

oops :doh:​ i didn't take squad sight for my sniper and she is fully leveled up!

are shot guns of any use ? i keep missing so dumped the weapon

i spend all time researching everything!!

i had forgotten the name and now i recalled thanks to u - Valkyria Chronicles was the game my friend told me about!!

oops :doh:​ i didn't take squad sight for my sniper and she is fully leveled up!

are shot guns of any use ? i keep missing so dumped the weapon

i spend all time researching everything!!

i had forgotten the name and now i recalled thanks to u - Valkyria Chronicles was the game my friend told me about!!

No problem, just level up another sniper. You should always keep backups for every class. Squadsight is essential because it helps other squad members see what the sniper can see. I usually go with 2 snipers, 1 heavy (or support), 1 assault and 1 support (specced as medic).

Shotguns are pretty useful especially for the Assault class with the Rapid Fire and Close Combat perks.

• 4 weeks later...

2K Marin's [redacted] is coming soon

The XCOM universe is expanding.

In the coming days the world will get a fresh look at the long-awaited squad-based tactical shooter in development at 2K Marin. Announced back in 2010, the game has undergone an evolution since we last showed it to you at E3 2011. Firaxis’ critically acclaimed turn-based strategy title, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, has reignited the classic franchise and we feel that the time is right to deliver a new experience within the world of XCOM.

The creative development of this game has been a collaborative process of discovery and iteration. 2K’s culture allows our studios the freedom to refine their visions, to explore new ideas, and to deliver the best possible experiences for players. Through this exploration, 2K Marin has refined their vision, and as a result the game has evolved into a high-stakes narrative experience imbued with core XCOM concepts.

The wait is nearly over and we can’t wait to share more details with you about the game in only a matter of days.

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/2k-marin-s-redacted-is-coming-soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am a little bit past the tutorial (I think, the game is pretty seamless when it moves out of the tutorial and into "real time") and really having a lot of fun with it.

Also love the fact that you can name your soldiers, it kinda elevates them above cannon fodder when you start giving them names.

Archived