The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

With tax, a direct conversion would be upwards of 30 Lakh INR (I really don't want to give the exact number) but that's hardly a fair conversion since prices differ a lot here and there. Also I've been bargaining hard and playing dealers against each other to get a better deal than the price I actually quoted :D

:scratchchin: 55k for a 3 series sounds like a lot

Btw, it's an awesome car! :cheers: Congrats buddy

Thank you guys :arigato:

@Somebody - I loaded it up, just gave you a rough figure. On a BMW base starts at a reasonable amount (for a BMW) but if you add a few options (especially packages like a Sport Line, Lighting, navigation etc.) it escalates rapidly. Also, that figure is with a 9.8% sale/use tax. Obviously that's off MSRP and I was able to get a good deal off it by dealing hard.

@Taz - 328i Sport with a number of extras. Now I'm counting days hoping I get it sooner rather than later. Itching to drive that car again.

FAAKKKKK its the 328i mann (i totally forgot this model :suicide: ) ... In india also its a huge hit amongst the petrol lovers. Its around 42-44L on road in india.. not sure about the options though. And i really hope you have ordered it in red color with red interiors :bounce: . When are you expecting the car Btw ??

Edited by TAZ

FAAKKKKK its the 328i mann (i totally forgot this model :suicide: ) ... In india also its a huge hit amongst the petrol lovers. Its around 42-44L on road in india.. not sure about the options though. And i really hope you have ordered it in red color with red interiors :bounce: . When are you expecting the car Btw ??

The base is kinda bare, that's why I added a lot of options. In India there's the 320d and then the 328i (both bare again as far as options go).

Yes, Melbourne Red metallic with Red leather interiors and black highlights plus the sport steering wheel with red stitching and the red highlight finishers for the dashboard alongside the red backlit instrument panels ... It's a red and black car - perfect for Tamilnadu's political landscape :P Can take anywhere from a month to 3 months though I'm expecting it should be here within 2 months max.

Mate,

Congrats on the car 328i is pretty amazing but believe me India spec cars are pretty loaded here's all that's part of the standard car,

Entire Sport Trim, which includes highlights like red steering wheel stitching and contrast elements in the trim,

Had HUD and navigation and sun roof and the super neat looking 18" style 397 alloys, 8 Speed sports transmission and variable sport transmission, PDC front and rear , xenon lamps, climate control, glass roof, sports seats in front which have adjustments for thigh support and side bolsters are adjustable too, BMW apps,

We just returned our 320d sport yesterday am gonna either get the 328i or 640d

Pricing is high in India but ones gotta live with what exists right :)

Oh and a Very Happy Birthday :)Few gifts could be this good!

Regards

The base is kinda bare, that's why I added a lot of options. In India there's the 320d and then the 328i (both bare again as far as options go).

Yes, Melbourne Red metallic with Red leather interiors and black highlights plus the sport steering wheel with red stitching and the red highlight finishers for the dashboard alongside the red backlit instrument panels ... It's a red and black car - perfect for Tamilnadu's political landscape :P Can take anywhere from a month to 3 months though I'm expecting it should be here within 2 months max.

Edited by Babyzelda

Congrats on the new car and the BIC drive, would have been superb.

I agree with the high pricing, but the good thing is that the good cars have started coming to India, 3-4 years back this was not the scene. Probably the Prices will even out too in future.

Mate BIC drive was mad, have something even crazier coming up next week, will Post pictures.

Good thing about car markets now is if one even looks at most CKD cars, they are pretty loaded, take a BMW 530d for example, there is little missing, or even a 328i considering options like HUD / Navigation / Dakota Leather etc are high priced options abroad, yes certain features we don't have like Lane Departure warning etc, but truly speaking with the current traffic conditions it's really not something one misses,

Only feature I wish BMW India added to 328i & 530d is the Surround Camera Option, makes life a lot easier in some tight spots, but well with the way the new X1 has been loaded few months down the 3 will get a few updates,

Regards,

Congrats on the new car and the BIC drive, would have been superb.

I agree with the high pricing, but the good thing is that the good cars have started coming to India, 3-4 years back this was not the scene. Probably the Prices will even out too in future.

With tax, a direct conversion would be upwards of 30 Lakh INR (I really don't want to give the exact number) but that's hardly a fair conversion since prices differ a lot here and there. Also I've been bargaining hard and playing dealers against each other to get a better deal than the price I actually quoted :D

So it works out more or less the same compared to India? I've always been amazed and jealous of guys my age who such cars abroad while I can just about affordable

an i20.

Mate,

Don't worry, the On Road price in India for a 328i works to about 81K USD on Individual Name and add another 6% (Depending on state to state) for Company Regn.

Also Finance / Lease is a lot easier in the US, Etc. Etc. Can't even get into that comparison, Just have fun with the i20 it's a lot more stress free in India with the Roads, And our After Sales which are pretty much close to none in luxury car sales support.

Regards,

So it works out more or less the same compared to India? I've always been amazed and jealous of guys my age who such cars abroad while I can just about affordable
an i20.

@ Zelda:

IIRC 328i is a CBU. I am sure if you are thinking about getting 328i you better get if before 31st march as the import duty has been increased by 25%. Pardon me if its not an CBU :)

Also why did you return your 320d sport line (if you dont mind). And what was the on road price ? and were u offered any discount ? (again if you dont mind sharing this info )

Mate,

328i Has been CKD from day one, and we only got the 320d for the heck of it, hated it's engine, I use the 530d as my daily driver and the 320d in F30 just does not feel good, so hoping 328i Will satisfy any disappointments,

Also looking at the 640d GC, but hate CBU's

Regards,

@ Zelda:

IIRC 328i is a CBU. I am sure if you are thinking about getting 328i you better get if before 31st march as the import duty has been increased by 25%. Pardon me if its not an CBU :)

Also why did you return your 320d sport line (if you dont mind). And what was the on road price ? and were u offered any discount ? (again if you dont mind sharing this info )

@Somebody - I loaded it up, just gave you a rough figure. On a BMW base starts at a reasonable amount (for a BMW) but if you add a few options (especially packages like a Sport Line, Lighting, navigation etc.) it escalates rapidly. Also, that figure is with a 9.8% sale/use tax. Obviously that's off MSRP and I was able to get a good deal off it by dealing hard.

:good:

10% tax is :wallbash: Here's it's 5.6% :harhar:

:good:

10% tax is :wallbash: Here's it's 5.6% :harhar:

Dude, I don't pay any state income tax in WA :P and with the amount MS pays me :giggle: If I'd gone to that other place where there's all the tech jobs in my line of work I'd have been paying almost 10% on both sales tax AND state income tax :lol:

Lane Departure in India would have been the LOLZ.... with the way we drive there. Also, the more expensive a car you get in India, the more careful you have to be that the auto driver waiting next to you at the signal doesn't scratch it when he's trying to get past you :P Had an auto guy who tried to push past me once while I was driving my dad's Chevy Cruze. Dude told me that he'd easily scratch my car if I didn't let him through cos his auto-rickshaw doesn't take much to repair as against scratch on a pricey car :giggle:

Oh, I did leave out Insurance, so that will add a ton of money to the cost of the car especially given that it's my first car here. My credit history is kinda short thanks to my stupid on-campus university apartments not putting MY name on the lease (hence no record anywhere that I paid a lot more). :(

@Captain Fantastic - Don't worry man, comparing Indian costs to how much you pay for the same car here is a losing deal. I wouldn't have bought a BMW with an equivalent salary in India either.

@Babyzelda - What I meant is that the base car is kinda bare (atleast going by the configs listed on the Indian website) unless you add the Sport package (which you have on that 320d). Thanks man, I know what you mean about the best gift. I'm not rich or anything and when I finally signed on a car on my own salary (no input from the folks at home) and it's a BMW 3 series, I'm extremely excited!

BTW the surround camera is an option here but I also added the Parking Assistant which parks the car for you :fear: (Honestly, I'm not bad at parallel parking, but I just thought it was way too cool to not have).

Edited by Gaurav - Solitaire

Your first statement itself makes any car the best birthday gift and really you will have a great time that 2.0 block in the 328i is pretty amazing and with better fuel in the US you will have a pretty amazing time

Yes park assist is fun but I kinda get scared with these self assistance driving aids, we have the active cruise control in our flying spur Washington and man would piss my pants every time it got close to the car in front and always ended up braking the car myself knowing it could slow down and maintain the set distance lol but just never got to trusting it.

The only thing that bothers me badly about the new 3 is the damn tail lights, BMW has used bloody bulbs and I seriously wish they update it with led soon,

Thanks man, I know what you mean about the best gift. I'm not rich or anything and when I finally signed on a car on my own salary (no input from the folks at home) and it's a BMW 3 series, I'm extremely excited!

BTW the surround camera is an option here but I also added the Parking Assistant which parks the car for you :fear: (Honestly, I'm not bad at parallel parking, but I just thought it was way too cool to not have).

Your first statement itself makes any car the best birthday gift and really you will have a great time that 2.0 block in the 328i is pretty amazing and with better fuel in the US you will have a pretty amazing time

Yes park assist is fun but I kinda get scared with these self assistance driving aids, we have the active cruise control in our flying spur Washington and man would piss my pants every time it got close to the car in front and always ended up braking the car myself knowing it could slow down and maintain the set distance lol but just never got to trusting it.

The only thing that bothers me badly about the new 3 is the damn tail lights, BMW has used bloody bulbs and I seriously wish they update it with led soon,

U own a bentley too ?? where do u live btw :P