Gaming PCs

AtheK

What SMPS are you on now?

That is alarming to hear, first of all, update your drivers to the latest 13.8 BETA. It should improve the CrossFire performance.

From your current description for now I will cater to the issue as if the heat is not getting vented fast enough.

1. You can add a couple fans to blow air onto the cards or add fans to vent heat faster.
  2. Not really an option, the two cards are in such proximity that unless the dead-heat in that region is not expelled you won't be able to solve the problem.
  3. You can try that but I must warn you that this straight up voids all warranty on the cards, so consider this only after due deliberation.
  4. There are no other options save adding water cooling blocks onto your cards but that means substantial investment in importing the components.

That will be really helpful.

No clue mate, honestly I don't see a lot of people buying the third-party fans so it might be because of that.

Okay, here are current pictures of my PC. I'll remove the extra hard drive cage(between the PSU and the usual HDD cages). I would have liked to remove the bigger HDD cage altogether so that when I install a 140mm fan on the front, it provides maximum possible air to come inside. Speaking of fans, I've got an Aerocool 140mm V14 fan, which, as I mentioned, will be installed as an intake fan on the front of the case. I wanted to buy 2 120mm fans(I was thinking of using one to take out hot air between the GPUs and pull it towards the HDD cage, and the other to push that air upwards from below), but only had money for one at the time. So have got one Cooler Master Sickle Flow X 120MM fan. Please suggest what to do with it now.

PS: I can certainly get more fans after this month when I get more cash. Or I may want to remove one or both of the two 120mm fans on the sidepanel(you can see them in the second picture) and use it/them somewhere else.

fxn7.jpg

juea.jpg

s0cn.jpg

6uyu.jpg

1ekx.jpg

Edited by Ph3N0M

No, although the Core i3 will be stretched to the limit and the in future titles might be a hold-up.

I would suggest you wait, save up, balance out your build.

Get a Haswell processor (Core i5 4430) + motherboard (B85 chipset based) and add a card of the GTX760's calibre or AMD's upcoming Volcanic Island cards.

If you can wait till December it would be better. Although you will not get DDR4 based RIG's until sometime in Q3 -->Q4 next year or whenever Broadwell chips are out.

No need to change the cabinet, the SMPS has to go, right now. Get a Seasonic X560W or something better, the current one you have is a tinderbox which can take everything down with it.

Graphic card also, wait and decide, AMD is going to reveal the Volcanic Island GPU's at the end of this month and by late November they should arrive in the market.

Rest all should be fine, even in the interim. Even I have the same card as you, splendid piece of kit although it needs to retire.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

I opened up my case to confirm the PSU model.turns out it isnt extremepower 500. Its 600w one..

This one..http://www.coolermaster.in/product.php?product_id=5906

Still needs to go?

If yes, please name one which i can use for the next pc as well.. Might go 2x gpu setup depending on what prices i can get.

I opened up my case to confirm the PSU model.turns out it isnt extremepower 500. Its 600w one..

This one..http://www.coolermaster.in/product.php?product_id=5906

Still needs to go?

If yes, please name one which i can use for the next pc as well.. Might go 2x gpu setup depending on what prices i can get.

Yes, it needs to go.

If you want to go multi-GPU set-up, consider the following SMPS,

• Seasonic M12II 750W
  • Seasonic X660W

This will raise the cost of the set-up and more importantly, in my opinion multi-GPU set-ups are really not optimum. Better to have a single more powerful card. Less driver and profiling issues.

^^ Phenom Sire, currently my broadband is down (MTNL Zindabad).

Can I get back on this in a day or two. Cheerio!

Check out the PC Cooling thread. Revived it just now, and I guess this discussion is better suited in that thread only.

This will raise the cost of the set-up and more importantly, in my opinion multi-GPU set-ups are really not optimum. Better to have a single more powerful card. Less driver and profiling issues.

And also less heat woes.

• Like 1

I ended up getting the gtx 770 got it for 27k after trading in my gtx 550ti and I got ze free game

I thought I post my spec,

Processor : Intel i3-2100 (2nd gen) 3.10 GHz 3MB cache

Motherboard : Asus P8H61-M LX

Ram : 4gb DDR3 (x2)

PSU : Corsair 650W

GPU : gtx 770 (now) gtx 550ti (before)

Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ( looks similar )

If I change anything as you suggested would be the i3 for the i5 but I'll prob do that next year for now

I need to find a laptop but I'll make another post for that

Edited by Neko

If I change anything as you suggested would be the i3 for the i5 but I'll prob do that next year for now

I need to find a laptop but I'll make another post for that

For the processor and motherboard, go for a Haswell set-up,

Core i5 4430 / 4570

GIGABYTE B85M D3H

Sound like a good jump off point.

Any details on which series Corsair SMPS you have?

Your current cabinet is fine. And should serve you well for quite some more time. Cheerio!

Guys help reqd:

My Current Config :

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 Ghz :samui:

Corsair 4 Gb DDR3

Galaxy GTX 650 TI Boost 1GB DDR5 (which i recently upgrdaded to :smokey: )

Corsair VS 450

How much fps will i be getting in BF4,GTA V,Batman Arkham Origins,Watch Dogs in 1366*768 res.

I will be upgrading to i5 in a month or two..(hopefully that is) Suggest me the ideal procy and mobo combo

Or is AMD a more viable option..

Guys help reqd:

My Current Config :

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 Ghz :samui:

Corsair 4 Gb DDR3

Galaxy GTX 650 TI Boost 1GB DDR5 (which i recently upgrdaded to :smokey: )

Corsair VS 450

How much fps will i be getting in BF4,GTA V,Batman Arkham Origins,Watch Dogs in 1366*768 res.

I will be upgrading to i5 in a month or two..(hopefully that is) Suggest me the ideal procy and mobo combo

Stick to Intel for the upgrade, following is what I suggest,

Intel Core i5 4430

GIGABYTE B85M-D3H

Also, the SMPS you have currently is not a good piece at all. Did you purchase it recently? Do you think you can replace it with a better piece?

I cannot tell you the exact fps you will get for your configuration but dependent on game settings, between ~20 -->70 fps.

Also if you implement aggressive filters like Anti-Aliasing and HBAO, high resolution textures your performance will tank. PHYsX will totally kill performance on your RIG, in my opinion.

Should i go for 1*8 gb for ram or 2*4 and why?

2 x4 GB RAM modules for dual-channel architecture advantages.

Also, in case of module failure, you can remove one faulty module and continue for temporary on another one but if you have only one RAM module, there is no such fail-safe.

Stick to Intel for the upgrade, following is what I suggest,

Intel Core i5 4430

GIGABYTE B85M-D3H

Also, the SMPS you have currently is not a good piece at all. Did you purchase it recently? Do you think you can replace it with a better piece?

I cannot tell you the exact fps you will get for your configuration but dependent on game settings, between ~20 -->70 fps.

Also if you implement aggressive filters like Anti-Aliasing and HBAO, high resolution textures your performance will tank. PHYsX will totally kill performance on your RIG, in my opinion.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions..Yeah i got my psu only recently...Thought Corsair was kinda reliable and i was also short on cash so couldnt go for a seasonic...

Thought Corsair was kinda reliable and i was also short on cash so couldnt go for a seasonic...

Although they are good, in recent times their mid-range and low-end SMPS have completely lost any pretence of 'quality'.

The VS series sadly is a quick cash-grab series started by Corsair to get inroads into Indian and Chinese market on the back of their brand name. Quality wise it stands in the league of Cooler Master's Power Plus / Power Pro / Thunder series of SMPS. Older Corsair CX v2 series and FSP SMPS are better choices at this price.

Anyway hope for the best and try to swap it out sooner rather than later. Cheerio!

Although they are good, in recent times their mid-range and low-end SMPS have completely lost any pretence of 'quality'.

The VS series sadly is a quick cash-grab series started by Corsair to get inroads into Indian and Chinese market on the back of their brand name. Quality wise it stands in the league of Cooler Master's Power Plus / Power Pro / Thunder series of SMPS. Older Corsair CX v2 series and FSP SMPS are better choices at this price.

Anyway hope for the best and try to swap it out sooner rather than later. Cheerio!

Point taken dude...Also will my procy be bottlenecking my GPU while playing graphic intensive titles like BF4, Gta V, etc at the aforementioned resolution?

Point taken dude...Also will my procy be bottlenecking my GPU while playing graphic intensive titles like BF4, Gta V, etc at the aforementioned resolution?

Your current processor will be a bottleneck, after the upgrade, no.