The Laptop/Notebook thread.

khanak

carbon-fibre-macbook_011.jpg

Mac fans are all about the elegant style, look, and feel. Nowadays, everything is customizable so why not customize your Apple MacBook with a carbon graphix MacBook sticker. Honestly, it looks a lot cooler than the color black, white, or silver. In fact, is looks like an entirely different laptop under certain lighting conditions. Just paste the carbon graphix vinyl sticker on your MacBook and it looks as though it’s made of carbon fiber.

If your MacBook is white this might not be a smart choice, but if you’re willing then go ahead. The new carbon fiber sticker no only provides style, it provides extra protection by giving your MacBook a rugged external coating. Everything from iPod covers to cars are going carbon fiber so this should be a nice fit for carbon crazed fanatics.

The stickers are easily attainable and ready for self-installation so there’s no excuse not to buy. This accessory will blend nicely with your carbon fiber printer, mouse pad, and other computer accessories. The carbon graphix shell is a definite pick and it looks original so it should fit your taste if you like the carbon fiber design.

http://www.slashgear.com/carbon-fiber-grap...hp#entrycontent

Edited by khanak

1134161595.jpg

BOSTON -- If Nicholas Negroponte of the MIT Lab is right, there will be a day soon when one laptop per child will become a reality in the developing world.

Negroponte delivered the kickoff keynote at LinuxWorld here today, explaining how his MIT Media Lab "one laptop per child" project is an education project that will break the modern cycle of notebook excess.

Nicholas Negroponte

Nicholas Negroponte

Source: LinuxWorldExpo.com

"The $100 laptop is an education project, and the motivation is to eliminate poverty," Negroponte said.

He told the Linux faithful that the modern cycle of notebook development isn't necessarily providing more usefulness to users.

"Andy [Grove, Intel co-founder] makes a faster process, and Bill [Gates, Microsoft chief software architect] uses it more, and what you and I got is effectively nothing more.

"We have gotten to a point where, in my opinion, every single new release is distinctly worse than the previous one," Negroponte continued. "The fat lady can't sing."

The one laptop per child (OLPC) initiative has already garnered $29 million in funding for engineering. It is expected to launch in 2007 and ship between 5 million to 10 million units initially in China, India, Thailand, Egypt, Nigeria, Brazil and Argentina.

The key to building the $100 laptop is scale.

Negroponte recounted how a major screen manufacturer initially rebuffed his attempt to produce a low-cost screen. Negroponte countered by saying, "Too bad cause I need 100 million units a year."

"That's why you need scale. You need to change the strategic plan. Low price does not mean low margin. Volume is your friend."

The OLPC is a humanitarian project and not a laptop sale. Its partners include Google, Red Hat, AMD, Marvell, Nortel, Brightstar and the United Nations.

Changing the economics of notebook production is about changing the cost involved.

Negroponte said that 50 percent of the cost of a notebook is sales, marketing and distribution. OLPC has no such costs. Twenty-five percent is licensing a copy of Microsoft Windows; OLPC will use Linux.

The display is the remaining 25 percent of the cost. OLPC is going to reduce display cost by leveraging backlight. The OLPC will utilize a dual-mode display that is both reflective and transmissive, such that the brighter the sun the brighter the picture.

From a hardware point of view, the $100 laptop will have a 500MHz AMD x86 process and have 128MB of DRAM and 512MB of Flash memory. It will use fewer than 2 watts of power, which is expected to be generated by windup power. A Wi-Fi mesh network will provide connectivity, and there will be three or four USB ports.

The $100 laptop won't start at $100. Initially it will cost $135, though Negroponte expects it will have a declining floating price and will hit the $100 target by 2008 and may drop as low as $50 in 2010.

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3596426

^ nah nothing, that was sam being sam - he'd be happier with dedicated threads on each team in the premiership...

V

ps: will need to merge some posts from the 'ask the experts' & 'building a pc' in this thread...

Look guys i am planning to buy a new notebook, but i also want to use it as a gaming device so it would be great if you guys could tell me what specific graphic card and stuff would be required in the notebook for me to play almost every PC game on it (which company's notebook should i go for).

Would it be better if i go for a desktop computer rather than notebook, i would prefer to buy a notebook due to its portability but i also want my PC (whether its a desktop or notebook) to play the PC games without any problems.

So guys i would really appreciate some help with this.

i got a powerbook G4 like 2 years ago, but that carbon fiber cover looks nice. this is what i got on....

http://img39.picoodle.com/img/img39/6/10/2...42m_c573d4e.jpg

http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/6/10/2...41m_c1fef3f.jpg

^^ That looks...........strange.

Iv got a Pavillion dv6000 with

1.8 ghz AMD Turion 64 bit dual core processor

2GB RAM

120GB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200 GPU

running Windows XP.

pretty satisfied with it though Im planning to switch to a MAC in a few years.

Edited by khanak

pretty satisfied with it though Im planning to switch to a MAC in a few years.

If you wanna switch over, then now is the best time to do it. They just released a new OS Leopard. Take a look..

http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

Apple usually releases new OS every 18 months, but Leopard took almost two years and is the biggest revision since OS9 to OSX. Plus if you buy new Mac, it comes preinstalled with full iLife'08 suit. And you can always run Vista side by side, if you have to. Ironically, Vista runs more stable on Mac with Apple's drivers than many dedicated PCs.

Look guys i am planning to buy a new notebook, but i also want to use it as a gaming device so it would be great if you guys could tell me what specific graphic card and stuff would be required in the notebook for me to play almost every PC game on it (which company's notebook should i go for).

Would it be better if i go for a desktop computer rather than notebook, i would prefer to buy a notebook due to its portability but i also want my PC (whether its a desktop or notebook) to play the PC games without any problems.

So guys i would really appreciate some help with this.

You can get a great gaming desktop PC for far less moolah than an equivalently equipped laptop.

Guys as i said before i would prefer to but a notebook over a desktop computre so i would be really thankful to you guys if you could ket me know which graphic card and stuff should be there in my laptop for it to play all pc games, it would be grat if you could let me which company's notebook to buy and the cost of the specific laptop.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

im online on my girlfriends hp pavilion .... she left it with me for the night so i install all the apps she wanted ....

config -

core2duo

2gb ram

160gb hdd

nvidea 7600 gfx card

dvd-rw w/lightscribe

bluetooth,infra,wireless lan ....

webcam card slots etc ...

windows vista premium ;)

Edited by arjun

im online on my girlfriends hp pavilion .... she left it with me for the night so i install all the apps she wanted ....

config -

core2duo

2gb ram

160gb hdd

nvidea 7600 gfx card

dvd-rw w/lightscribe

bluetooth,infra,wireless lan ....

webcam card slots etc ...

windows vista premium ;)

your gal's laptop can dance circle's around my desktop :D

V

ps: she plays games as well?

guys, i need some urgent advice. the below product is available to me at 30k. pls let me know what u think of it, is it worth paying 30 k? Its a used one put on sale by someone in my office :

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV6605US-En...r/dp/B000W12VZ4

pls reply ASAP !

Edited by Ne0ViniT