Alan Wake

SchizoidFreud

Well for those of you'll who haven't seen the Alan Wake trailer yet, here is the link ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6YGK-jmjrA...ted&search=

The game definitely looks promising

• 4 months later...

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox360/game/...212143646847096

The games industry is a strange, strange place. It’s almost 30 years old now, but it seems developers still can’t agree on the best way to PR their babies. In our experience, they go one of two ways: trundle down the elaborately stage-managed Assassin’s Creed path, a game wrapped so tightly in Ubisoft cotton wool that it was little wonder dire rumours surfaced that the game might be one huge stinker (thankfully, as our review attests, we needn’t have worried). Or they take a plunge and head down the route ploughed by the likes of Prototype, Borderlands and Fracture. None are due out for ages yet, but the developers have had the guts and confidence to demo their projects early - even if they are only 25% done.

Which brings us to a major believer in the carefully stage-managed option: Alan Wake. Until Gears of War 2 is announced (it’s inevitable - see our Secret Games feature for more), Remedy’s free-roaming horror adventure is ostensibly Microsoft’s biggest first-party title of 2008. Except that it’s never even been confirmed for next year. Producer Lasse Seppänen is still towing the “it’ll be done when it’s done” line, and the ominous E3 no-show? It only added to our anxiety.

So, just why has a game that’s had $7 million poured into it even before Microsoft jumped on board seemingly disappeared into gaming’s Bermuda Triangle? Granted, it is an absurdly ambitious project: a huge, open world set in the town of Bright Falls and its vast (and spooky) surroundings. But, surely if everything was right with the game we would have seen something more of it by now…

Not necessarily, according to Remedy Business Director Matias Myllyrinne. The suit told the Finnish press this month that “there have been no negative incidents during development,” and that “we haven’t set a release date because our working convention is that we have a relentless quest for quality, and we will not release anything, including a date, before we can be sure the game is good enough.”

You'd think Microsoft would be pissed, but Myllyrinne quashed that with: “The quality is also an essential criteria for Microsoft."

Maybe things are all right after all, then? Or maybe Remedy are absolutely bricking it about the unrelenting tidal wave of hype surrounding the game, and keep having to shift back their shipping date because the game’s not hitting the mark. “The game must be a hit,” Myllyrinne adds, “because only good games become hits. Luckily, we have a history of hits with games like Max Payne.” Which presumably means he’s pretty confident.

One thing’s for sure: sooner or later Remedy will have to show what five years of development time and a rumoured $15 million worth of costs have produced… even if it is in a disappointingly stage-managed style.

V

^^ its some psychological thriller or something....maybe the developers are running short of ideas to make missions with such a storyline !

It seems day/night/climate influences the character/gameplay and physics plays a major role....read somewhere that one of the cpu cores of x360 is dedicated purely for physics !

^^ LOL.

@Hahaman, this game is more like a free roaming Silent Hill. I don't think it compares to a shooter in any way...

ya i definatly know that m saying like that i can only understand n cant explain now do u understand?

• 3 months later...

Holy Crackamolly! What can I do to get Remedy to come out with this game? I have refused to be blown away by the hype because I know the game wont be coming on the shelves any time soon. But then, I would come across some screenshots and *BANG*!

Does anyone in this wide world, besides the Remedy guys, have any idea, when this game will be out?

@Neo: Dude, don't quote such posts where there are so many bandwidth hungry pictures. Slows down the page.