[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

mobo - 8k (wich model??)

I would recommend a motherboard based on the nVidia nForce 680i SLi or 650i SLi. Best performance and feature set for C2D processors. There are several choices available from ASUS, MSI and XFX.

Antec “EarthWatts” EA380W -

Specs:

+3.3V: 20AAntec “EarthWatts” EA380W

+5V: 20A

+12V1: 17A

+12V2: 17A

-12V: 0.8A

+5VSB: 2.5A

20/24Pin ATX12v

Rs.3.9k

I wouldn't recommend such a low specced PSU. Go for a 800W or higher PSU which will allow you to connect a second graphics card, additional HDDs and optical drives, without straining the power supply to the MoBo.

Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 CMSS

Specs: 5.1ch, CMSS 3D, EAX HD Audio, 96kHz/16-Bit

Connectors: Line Level Out (Front/Rear/Center/Subwoofer),

Line-in / Mic-in

Aux-In

Rs.1,050/-

At the minimum, you should go for the Creative Audigy 4 ZX, but preferably one of the Creative X-Fi sound cards. The chips on these babies process Directsound in hardware, taking the load of your CPU. The Audigy 4 ZX should run you approx 2-2.5K.

Sweet rig...i like. Now only if i had your proc+mobo+ram and my video card *sigh*.

Well dreaming aside, it looks to be a solid machine, the motherboard i'd suggest is the Intel DG33FB .

i was quoted a price of 10.5K on the HDD though and i think you may be able to get an XFX 8600GTS for a shade cheaper. Love the choice of casing. Got an Antec Super LanBoy at the moment. Antec makes godlike stuff. You may want to get a higher spec'd power supply unit though. Perhaps something in the 420-450W range.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you after that specific dvd writer model alone?

these are rough prices i got of tht priceguru.com site .... and the prices are out dated as the last update on tht site was in august .... so these prices are upper limits ....

i want tht model dvd writer so tht i can successfully burn games .... :)

^^ its recommended for writing wii, x360 games .... as the layerbreaks are pre-set ... so its a simple click and burn situation .... plus the coaster % is minimal as on other writers its a 1:1 ratio between a good burn and a coaster....

LoL, should've known. Markettantrik's right on the money with the 650i and 680i mobos (Asus is a personal fave) , but if you're going genuine intel mobos the DG33FB is quite stable.

Don't know if you'd be able to find an MSI card though, the last time i went hunting around for one (MSI 6600GT) it was fruitless. Used to own a ti4200 128mb MSI card, good times.

For MSI products contact Tirupati Enterprises. http://www.tirupati.net/about.html

arjun sorry for hikacking your thread but i didnt want to start a new one

im a little technically challenged when it comes to PC hardware so i need help....im looking to buy a good LCD monitor so i can connect one of my consoles to it...the one that i've looked at so far is Dell E228WFP 22" Entry Wide Screen Flat Panel LCD Monitor?

can yall tell me

1. is it good?

2. does it have HDMI? i have no idea what HDCP is

3. what max HD resolution does it support

if this is not good, can yall recommend another good 19-22" Widescreen monitor

peace

This model only has VGA and DVI-D input. It supports HDCP over DVI.

But since you are looking to hook up your console to the monitor this would not be the best choice, since it doesn't have other input options like component or composite inputs.

Go for either of these two depending on your budget

the 20" 2007WFP UltraSharp : http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/p...;l=en&s=bsd

the 24" 2407WFP UltraSharp : http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/p...;l=en&s=bsd

You wont get Dell stuff at Lamington road. But you can try www.techenclave.com. There's a South Indian chap there who organizes "GO" events for bulk purchases of Dell monitors. Browse for the Dell monitors GO thread under "Computer Peripherals". The last GO he organized, the 24" was gong for 33K and the 20" for approx 20-22K I think. I was really interested in the 24" offer on the GO, but I bought the Toshiba TV instead.

hmm are the prices on the indian site indicaive of what they would cost at lamington road? (28k for 20", 40k for 24")

there's no way im paying 40k for a monitor for my piece of junk PC...i'm better off buying a 26" or 32" LCD tv

peace

well at nehru place a week ago i went to buy a 5.1 speakers n i saw a view sonic 22 inch lcd for 15000rs n the pic quality was awesome its good enough for ur pc as u mention its crap

You need to scout for models which sport additional input ports such as component, composite, HDMI, etc. There are several excellent choices abroad, but to the best of my knowledge, Dell and Asus are the only brands offering such features on their models in India. And the Asus one is even more expensive than the Dell pieces.

with the feedback from you'll iv come up with this rig.... temme wat ul think bout it ....

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 -

Specs: 2.4GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB, EM64T, EIST, iAMT2, LaGrande, 65nm

Rs. 10k

mobo - 8k (wich model??)

MSI GeForce NX8600GTS-OC -

Specs: 256MB GDDR3, 700MHz/2.1GHz, 128-Bit, DX10, OpenGL v2,

DVI/HDTV/TV-Out, HDCP, SLi Ready

Rs.12k

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB PC2-5300 –

Size: 1GB DDR2 667MHz

Latency: 5-5-5-18 (CAS,tRCD,tRP,tRAS)

Function: Unbuffered

Operating Voltage: 1.8v

Warranty: Lifetime

Rs.8k (for 4gb)

Seagate Barracuda ST3750640AS-RK 750GB -

Specs: 750GB, 7,200rpm, 16MB Buffer, SATA 300MBps Interface

Rs.13k

ntec “EarthWatts” EA380W -

Specs:

+3.3V: 20AAntec “EarthWatts” EA380W

+5V: 20A

+12V1: 17A

+12V2: 17A

-12V: 0.8A

+5VSB: 2.5A

20/24Pin ATX12v

Rs.3.9k

Antec Nine Hundred - “Gaming Chassis” -

Drive Bays:

External 3 x 5.25″; Internal 6 x 3.5″ for HDD, or

External 6 x 5.25″; Internal 3x 3.5″ for HDD, or

External 9 x 5.25″

- 1 top 200mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control

- 1 rear 120mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control

- 2 front 120mm special black TriCool blue LED fans with 3-speed switch control to cool HDDs

- 1 side (optional) 120mm fan to cool graphic cards

- 1 middle (optional) 120mm fan to cool CPU or graphic cards

Front USB 2.0 x 2, FireWire and Audio In/Out Ports

With PSU: No

ATX

Rs.7.8k

Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 CMSS

Specs: 5.1ch, CMSS 3D, EAX HD Audio, 96kHz/16-Bit

Connectors: Line Level Out (Front/Rear/Center/Subwoofer),

Line-in / Mic-in

Aux-In

Rs.1,050/-

samsung/viewsonic monitor

pioneer 212 - sata dvd writer

3k max

total 75k approx....

P.S - +1 h3lios :D

For the motherboard, you can probably get the Gigabyte DS2R. Should be around that price. If you want to save some cash, get the Abit IP35-E. Both rock solid, and based on the P35 chipset. If you're going for nVidia chipsets, look no further than XFX 650i Ultra. Best VFM mobo.

Definitely change the PSU. If you are spending so much, you can probably get the Corsair HX620W PSU. It's efficiency is about 90%, and is probably one of the best PSUs out there.

Don't go for a 750GB Seagate. You can get 2 x 500GB Wester Digital SATA2 HDDs. Speed might be slightly slower, but WD warranty is as good as Seagate.

Antec 900 is just a waste of money. For 7.5k, it provides very little room, though the airflow is excellent. You can probably get a Chieftec BH-02 for around 4k. Awesome cabinet for the price, and much bigger than the Antec 900.

Regarding SLI, total waste of money unless you are pairing top of the line cards, and want even more performance. Instead of spending on 2 x 8600GTS, you can get an 8800GTS 320MB cheaper, which will be as good, or even better than the SLI 8600GTS.

PS What speakers will you use with the Sound Blaster Live soundcard?

@ abhishek .... u seem to no quite a bit bout the pricings etc .... so could u post details on the Chieftec BH-02 cabinet and where i could get it in india ??

and im planning on using my hts as my sound system .... but i dont care bout sound tht much as il be watchin most movies etc on tv

So now my configuration is

CPU: Q6600

MOBO: XFX nForce 650i Ultra

Monitor: not yet finalised. looking at samsung 19" 940NW lcd and Viewsonic VG1930WM. Which is best in 11k max

RAM: 4GB (1GBx4) DDR2 800MHz Kingston Value RAM

HDD: WD SATA2 (500gbx2)

GFX: XFX 8600GT

CAB: Chieftec BH 02 BBB

PSU: CM Extreme power 600W

KBD and mouse: any in 1k (the usual logitech one i guess)

Edited by arjun

You can probably get a Chieftec BH-02 for around 4k. Awesome cabinet for the price, and much bigger than the Antec 900.

@ abhishek ... could u suggest some stores in bbay tht i could purchase this cabinet from ?? ...

hmm are the prices on the indian site indicaive of what they would cost at lamington road? (28k for 20", 40k for 24")

there's no way im paying 40k for a monitor for my piece of junk PC...i'm better off buying a 26" or 32" LCD tv

peace

Don't buy a TV instead of a monitor as monitors have higher resolutions than TVs. The Dell monitors 20" and 24" which u mentioned can display your console games in 720p and 1080p respectively. don't know this for sure but if you buy an LCD TV u wud get max 720p from a TV in this price range. The 1080p TVs are really expensive.

Also u can get the DELL 24" for 30k if u call them up n have good bargaining skills.. My uncle had bought it last week at this price.But for this monitor u got to have a good gfx card in ur PC.

u can connect a PS3 HDMI cable to DVI port of a monitor by using a HDMI to DVI adaptor. or if u hav component cables, it has the component ports in it already.