Ask The Experts

Chaztin

Yeah I think I will get the DS lite. Will go to Palika and see what they offer. Having looked around a bit the only thing DSi has that I want is a web browser and I would rather use my Itouch for that.

Hey gramps the new Zelda game, is that coming to the DS as well or is it DSi only?

Zelda will be for DS (all versions). They are not going to alienate the old DS owners. DSi has some nifty features like the camera and music editing which you will use all of two times and never again. But the DS Lite can play GBA games - which are more readily available in India.

When will you go to Palika? If it's Tuesday or Wednesday gimme a call. I should be in office on those two days and might pick up an R4.

arun - when you picked up your r4 which shop did you get it from?

R4 clone, N5. Can't remember which shop... Palace something?

It's easily available in all game shops. Don't pay more than 1K for it.

arun, i have the same card.

some of the latest ishtuff isnt working though.

help will be much appreciated.

Need help guys.I bought max payne 2 from xbl last nite,but after the download starts it doesnt move ahead of 1% then it showz cant download this item,tried downloadin again & again but stil the same prob :) wat shud i do ? <_<

Bump.Where r the experts ? :P:(

Posted this on the Ninty thread but nobody even saw it i think...that section has no visitors huh?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been seeing people talking about the DS for quite sometime now and have slowly gotten interested in this device.

So i got a few questions

1. Any idea where i can buy it in Chennai and what would be the cost? And is it available from the grey market or white? Does Landmark or something else sells the DS? If it's got to be grey only, any idea where i can buy in Chennai(currently staying) or Kolkata(home base) or Delhi(visit at times for work) or maybe Bangalore (next door, i can drive down on a weekend or catch a train)?

2. Support - does Nintendo provide support for DS in India? Official like Sony, MS etc...And is it region specific warranty etc. If grey buy then if stops working, do i have to throw it in the trashcan? how rugged is it?

3. What models are available currrently and any recommendations on which to buy? I saw a couple of threads back people talking about DS, DSi and DSLite...whats the difference? and whats that R4 thing i heard of? does any of the variety has Wifi support?

4. Games - officially available or all imports? and whats the cost like? again from where i can buy or ship within India? I wanna play RPG's DS is supposed to be the best for that...so any DSi software will run on DS Lite and DS and vice versa?

5. Does some kind of region-restriction exist? hardware/software

5. Modding - is it required?

6. What are common problems which people face with the DS? like screen not very robust/ dead pixels/hinge problems etc

7.games - is it some kind of a mini cd or UMD or flash drive or some other device?

----------------------------------

answers would be really appreciated

Edited by blackheart2925

1. Any idea where i can buy it in Chennai and what would be the cost? And is it available from the grey market or white? Does Landmark or something else sells the DS? If it's got to be grey only, any idea where i can buy in Chennai(currently staying) or Kolkata(home base) or Delhi(visit at times for work) or maybe Bangalore (next door, i can drive down on a weekend or catch a train)?

I have no idea where you can get one in Chennai. If you are in Delhi Palika is usually the best option.

2. Support - does Nintendo provide support for DS in India? Official like Sony, MS etc...And is it region specific warranty etc. If grey buy then if stops working, do i have to throw it in the trashcan? how rugged is it?

No support for grey market purchases and I dont think its been officialy launched here. But Nintendo stuff (unlike Sony or MS) is built to last. Unless you throw if off a building or run it over with a truck it should be fine.

3. What models are available currrently and any recommendations on which to buy? I saw a couple of threads back people talking about DS, DSi and DSLite...whats the difference? and whats that R4 thing i heard of? does any of the variety has Wifi support?

I dont think you cna buy a fat (old) version anymore. For differances between DSI and DSlite use google. I am getting a DS lite cause DSI is a bit more expensive without adding much.

4. Games - officially available or all imports? and whats the cost like? again from where i can buy or ship within India? I wanna play RPG's DS is supposed to be the best for that...so any DSi software will run on DS Lite and DS and vice versa?

Mostly you will be looking at imports. DSi Will run DSlite games but vice versa may not always be true.

5. Does some kind of region-restriction exist? hardware/software

Not on DSlite. Not sure about DSi.

5. Modding - is it required?

No such thing as hardware modding. If you want to run ScumVM, backups and emulators you can buy a R4 which is a chip that lets you do that.

6. What are common problems which people face with the DS? like screen not very robust/ dead pixels/hinge problems etc

Like I said its a tough little cookie and aside from physical damage you cause on it there is no common well known issue with the DS.

7.games - is it some kind of a mini cd or UMD or flash drive or some other device?

They come on a memory chip and look like this.

164608-5-1.jpg

@Afty, @bulovski - thanks for taking the pains to answer my queries...i have decided to go for the DS Lite i like region free best! :huh:

Now i only need to located a dealer in Chennai, time to hit Ritchie Street soon. I have also seen the DS Lite Silver going for 8600 INR in ebay.in without any games. Is that a good price or a bit high? A singapore guy is selling for more 9600 INR but this guy has a slightly better rating.

regarding the games - where do i get the originals in India? and how do i detect fakes? i dont want any crappy quality fakes...though some of the games i have in mind, i will have to import from PA or somewhere else...