Ninokuni

Keyofx

I'm surprised none of you has this issue? http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Technical/UPDATED-Ni-No-Kuni-PreOrder-still-not-working/m-p/18301292#M13689

This is one of those few games i've been wanting to play asap as i'm moving out soon. naturally the fastest way i could get it was a preorder on psn. So i did just that. Boom. turns out sony just began its preorder system, looking at things now its not even past the alpha stage and I became part of the group of guinea pigs that got gutted. I was away for about 10 days and by the time I found out about this nextworld ran out of its stock too. My only two fastest ways of playing the game ASAP. ;(

Played some more. Now questing around Al Mamoon. Man, the writing is so charming! Also combat is getting tricker. Have to make sure familars are well-equipped. I wish the battles were turn-based.

Cawtermaster :lol:

As much as I'm loving the game I really wish there was a way to manually save in dungeons. A power cut is far more threatening than any enemy or boss.

Well, at least you can save anytime outside a dungeon and there's usually a save point before a boss.

I wish more people were talking about this game here. I wanna discuss damnit! :rant: Also, calling out to Madmage! Where are you man? This game is right up your alley.

Managed to get psychologically ready for the almost 4k price tag, but then nextworld went out of stock :(

Managed to get psychologically ready for the almost 4k price tag, but then nextworld went out of stock :(

Import from amazon/hut/shopto/zavvi/game/playasia ?

Would be cheaper as well,plus joy of not supporting greedy Indian middlemen :P

Okay so I'm about 50-55% through the game. Did all errands, bounties so far, morphed a few choice familiars, captured a whole bunch and haven't really hit any walls in terms of battles. The writing, story and visuals still continue to charm and impress but I have some issues with the battle system. It is functional but leaves a lot to be desired. The partner AI is especially dumb and even with the barebones "Tactics" option (a stripped down version of the gambit system from FFXII) your party members still do dumb sh*t. I haven't died on most of the bosses but it almost always boils down to Oliver and his familiars soloing the boss after the rest of the party is wiped out quickly, After that it's a matter of kiting the boss, baiting attacks, defending, collecting glims and blasting the boss. Almost all boss fights have gone like that. It isn't challenging but just tedious.

A couple of things could have really improved the whole thing. First, the partner AI could have been better and the tactics option should have been deeper than just "keep us healthy", "provide support", "do anything", "don't do anything" etc. Secondly I'm sure it would have been a lot more enjoyable if the battle system was classic turn-based (DQ style). It's very common for enemies to cancel your current attack (if it involves animation) if their animation triggers just before yours begins. Characters also get caught in each other's paths very often.

That said, I'm enjoying the game very much. It's among the best RPGs of this generation and probably among the top 10 JRPGs of all time. There's just something about the art direction, music and the overall Ghibli style that's simply infectious. The in-game Wizard's Companion book is a thing of beauty. You could easily spend a hour flipping through it. However I must also mention that those interested in this game should know that it's a JRPG through and through which means that if you cannot stand stuff like backtracking, grinding (you need it at times to capture certain familiars), slow start, long tutorials etc you should probably steer clear. But if you love JRPGs despite their rather outdated mechanics and style you're in for a treat.

"Flip mun!"

Archived