Gaming PCs

AtheK

Bought the Palit 9800 GT 512mb, now have to wait 4-5 days to receive it.

I searched around a bit regarding the green edition which this is, its actually a underclocked 550mhz core compared to 600 mhz of the regular 9800 GT , rest of the specs are same as regular 9800 GT.

It doesn't even have a external 6 pin power connector , so it runs only from mobo's power like super old cards.

My 8800GTX used both 6 pin power connectors and this doesn't even requires one.

Edited by Joy

Bought the Palit 9800 GT 512mb, now have to wait 4-5 days to receive it.

I searched around a bit regarding the green edition which this is, its actually a underclocked 550mhz core compared to 600 mhz of the regular 9800 GT , rest of the specs are same as regular 9800 GT.

It doesn't even have a external 6 pin power connector , so it runs only from mobo's power like super old cards.

My 8800GTX used both 6 pin power connectors and this doesn't even requires one.

Damn, a friend of mine got his 9600 GT burnt and Rashi gave him this card (the same one as yours) as a replacement!

He was so happy that he was getting a 9800 GT, until he found that the performance was even worse than his previous 9600. I wish I could've remembered that sooner and told you :/

You're changing cards too? :(

Nah, bro......I wouldn't dream of it.....guess if you read through the Crysis 2 thread, it'll all be clear :lol:

Damn, a friend of mine got his 9600 GT burnt and Rashi gave him this card (the same one as yours) as a replacement!

He was so happy that he was getting a 9800 GT, until he found that the performance was even worse than his previous 9600. I wish I could've remembered that sooner and told you :/

Your friend must have got thr GDDR2 version then , as performance difference between this and regular 9800 GT 512mb is very small. And I'm sure this can OC'd to regular 9800 GT speed even w/o external power , may not be able to OC further like 700mhz core etc. , but I'm ok with that.

Your friend must have got thr GDDR2 version then , as performance difference between this and regular 9800 GT 512mb is very small. And I'm sure this can OC'd to regular 9800 GT speed even w/o external power , may not be able to OC further like 700mhz core etc. , but I'm ok with that.

okay bro :good:

Ah yes, I did.. a rather entertaining read that .. :lol:

Even you don't take me seriously, do you? :(

I received my new 9800GT, but still same problem , pc is sometimes booting up and freezing after a while.

Once it worked for good 5-10 min , was installing nvidia drivers when it freezed.I'm suspecting its a Ram or a Mobo issue , and my earlier card 8800GTX is I guess perfectly fine.

Going to take the cabinet to a computer repair shop to check what's causing this , don't have spare Ram to test it myself.

Yeah :(

Before going I decided to fire up the PC one more time to check , its booted up and I'm typing this from my PC now. WTF :ack: The driver I was installing earlier had installed , only Physx driver were left midway when it freezed , my new card is getting detected as well in GPUZ and Riva Tuner. Uploaded this GPUZ image from PC.

th_34746dde.gif

This definitely is a Ram problem looks like.

Feels so great typing from a keyboard after using a PS3 controller for more than a week. :P

So it freezed after 45-50 mins , immediately I pressed reset button many times it won't boot.

After couple of minutes I tried again and it booted and currently working fine again.

Tested CPU temps its at 45-50 degree C at Idle which is normal with stock Intel cooler as I removed my Thermalright 120 Ultra temporarily.

Gonna run the Memtest app to check the Ram..

Edited by Joy

@Joy, what power supply do you have?

Corsair HX620 , Modular.

I tested the PC with another Ram stick , sometimes it will work for good 1hr or so , every time I try to run MemTest , it freezes after getting to 0.7-0.8 % , both with my Ram as well as repair shop's spare Ram.

So its either a Mobo problem or something else.

Just came back home and it has boot up fine and working normally, I'm really confused. :wacko:

Will doing format and installing fresh Windows help ? as sometimes it freezes even in boot screen..

Joy, your problem sounds a lot like mine:

So, my 5850 refuses to work. 100% fan speed, but no POST. This used to happen earlier, and I'd fix it by simply pushing in the 6+2pin power connector. Now it doesn't work even if I push it in hard enough to make my fingers fall off.

Using a friend's 9800GT right now and it seems to work fine, but it sometimes randomly starts artifacting all over the place and freezing. Now I'm not sure if the cards are both problematic, if my PSU is borked (vx550) or if it's the motherboard.

:(

I ended up replacing the PSU, the motherboard and my hard-drive (all three of them ended up dying), and the 5850 and the 9800GT were still f**ked. I'd suggest you try that card out on a different PC ASAP.

And yes, it was a horrible month. Especially because I replaced those components one-by-one. :doh:

Edited by Phoenix Wright