City of Steam

CoS_Ethan

Hello all, I'm Ethan with Mechanist Games, an indie games developer. We're working on our debut title, City of Steam, a free-to-play browser-based MMORPG.

If you've known of City of Steam and been keeping an eye on it since the game went public, be sure to sign up for our newsletter for priority on future keys and up-to-date game development.

To those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprise there, we're an indie developer, so getting widespread recognition is a relatively harder for us), it's an industrial fantasy/steampunk MMORPG, lightweight enough to play on even older computers and accessible straight from your browser. Even then, thanks to Unity 3D and a lot of in-house tools, we've managed to still make it look quite impressive, and all stored in but a few megabytes!

And this isn't just some average fantasy world with a few steampunk elements thrown in, oh no! The entire world itself is a mechanism of gears and spokes, with pipes and boilers as ancient as the world itself. Current civilizations are build upon these, and these industrial aspects are simply part of the world's history and daily life; races such as humans and elves do exist, but they live alongside dwarves that are part-machine, robotic toilers that roam the land, and both magical and mechanical monstrosities that threaten their existence. You can have a better look at this animated world through Unity Plugin on City of Steam website. Here is a quick look into the World Machine:

546164_211360688975861_1623783713_n.jpg

Also, we recently created a new gameplay trailer for the alpha test.

We may be indie (and proud of it), but we’re very receptive to player feedback too, and strive to openly discuss the development process. Feel free to share your thoughts, and I’ll personally answer any questions you may have.

At first I thought VALVE has begun its world conquest. :P

Visuals are very detailed from the high vantage point. Too brown though.

We're definitely working hard to get CoS into fighting form. Additional preview material will be released steadily on both our main site and our Facebook page.

There are some pretty good looking Unity engine games out there. This looks interesting. Steampunk Diablo in a browser? Looks like the perfect productivity killer!

Actually, Diablo is too big for us, we are small, we just want to make cool games! This game is based on the book named The New Epoch, a world of steampunk and gears! But not just a Diablo-cloned dungeon crawler, it has its own style! :bigyellowgrin:

Oh okay. It just that the screens and the UI give off a Diablo style dungeon crawler vibe.

YEAH, almost every post-Diablo RPG game is called Diablo clone more or less, 'cause Diablo is re-defined RPG I think! Thanks for sharing your opinion, we will release trailers soon!

I'm sure our members will be happy to test the alpha/beta versions and provide feedback. Some folks here have a reputation for breaking games.

Cool, as far as gameplay goes, but we have plans in place to be very receptive to player input and suggestions as well as adding interactivity to major world challenges. Our system is dynamic and allows for changes and we'll just have to see how it plays out with more testing and input from players. .

hmm I'll give itt a try,

I am a fan of Unity too,

Would love to see how good you guys have made this

P.S: Do we get to play as spindoctor?

Last browser based mmorpgs I tried were Dark Orbit & LotGd,

Enjoyed em a lot

hmm I'll give itt a try,

I am a fan of Unity too,

Would love to see how good you guys have made this

P.S: Do we get to play as spindoctor?

Last browser based mmorpgs I tried were Dark Orbit & LotGd,

Enjoyed em a lot

Thanks, more gameplay videos are underway, and we are still debugging, after more than 2 years development, we just try to make it cool enough! Yeah, this one cost our painstaking efforts, and hope you can enjoy it by the moment :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We just got done with the third round of Alpha testing and it turned out to be another great weekend for us! Now we are heading for the fourth (also the last) Alpha Weekend starting on August 17th, featuring even more content and all 9 playable races. If interested, do remember to sign up for our newsletter for alpha key priority and choose your preferred races on 17th.

Archived