The Android Thread

pArth

Japan exclusive phone for the national mobile service provider NTT Docomo, XPERIA A.

Sony is adding another option to its smartphone lineup with this Xperia A it just announced in Japan. Spotted a few days ago in an FCC filing, the SO-04E will be released on the 17th on NTT DoCoMo. It slots in a step below the Z and ZL models on the spec sheet however, with a 1,280 x 720 4.6-inch LCD. It shares most of their internals, with a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU and Android 4.1, which are nice, but not the latest out (Snapdragon 600 and Android 4.2.) It also packs a 2,300mAh battery, 13MP rear camera and 0.3MP front camera. Like all of the phones announced today in NTT DoCoMo's summer push it supports LTE, and it will have NOTTV access after an update this fall.

GSMArena report on the same.

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

Suggestions for good phones in the 25k plus minus 2k bracket? Nexus 4 seems to be the best for me.. Any alternatives?

Other options that you have --

• SAMSUNG Galaxy Grand
  • SONY XPERIA SP
  • SONY XPERIA L
  • NOKIA Lumia 820 (if interested in Windows Phone devices)

@ALPHA: I meant the antenna on the A/ZR!

That is for TV signal reception, it got that capability after an OTA update after release. The ZR is a completely different version of the phone, doesn't pack the antenna, the A is exclusive to Japan, also the battery is removable in the latter.

Like all of the phones announced today in NTT DoCoMo's summer push it supports LTE, and it will have NOTTV access after an update this fall.

Edited by ALPHA17

Suggestions for good phones in the 25k plus minus 2k bracket? Nexus 4 seems to be the best for me.. Any alternatives?

Other options that you have --

SAMSUNG Galaxy Grand

SONY XPERIA SP

SONY XPERIA L

NOKIA Lumia 820 (if interested in Windows Phone devices)

How do they stand against nexus 4? Can u rate them?

Removable battery on the SAMSUNG, NOKIA and XPERIA L. All phones also pack expandable memory. These are the main advantages.

In OS and developer options the Nexus4 leads the pack by a large margin but for daily usage any of these should serve you in good stead.

Lack of applications is a big downer for the Lumia 820 but for core functionality and productivity work (e-mail and documentation related) it is ace. Also, Windows Phone is very pleasing to use and navigate, something different and smooth like iOS in my opinion.

Camera goes from the NOKIA > SAMSUNG = (=/=) SONY > LG.

Rest is up-to you, what UI skin you prefer, do you like removable battery and storage option or you prefer rapid OTA updates to the latest Android version.

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

Nexus 4 - all the way. Or Lumia 820. Nothing else.

Nexus 4 beats all of them. Lumia 820 for an excellent experience.

Must have games for Nexus 7? My tab is filled wth nursery rhymes apps now :|

Candy Crush Saga - the munchkin will love it. And the usual Angry Birds - kids love that too. Forget having your own game.

I can do it pretty well. I'll give it a shot. What do you want ?

Hmm I need to articulate this, but essentially looking for a couple of profiles:

1. Night mode - between 11 and 7 - switch off sound, gps, wifi, data. Switch data on for five minutes every one hour and check for emails, through wifi first if available. Reset all settings at 7 am.

2. If phone is not connected to a known wifi network for 5 minutes, switch off wifi. Switch it on every one hour to check.

Any way I can make profiles based on where I am?