The Old Cricket Thread

vinitwins

WC T20  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But in south London, Kumar gave up. Sick of bailing out others, sick of being thrown the ball after what would have seemed like five minutes of having his feet up, sick of everything, really, Kumar angrily slashed at balls barely hitting the pitch in both innings, feeding catches to the slips and facing only 17 deliveries in the process.

The look in his eyes said it all: If they don't care, I don't either.

Totally agreed with this...

Sometimes he bowled way too match..In lords he bowled 11 overs out of 24 overs in a session..Just an over break..

Then back to bowl after 8 - 9 overs in the next session...I know he can bowl long spells , but got a feeling Dhoni used to give him too many overs..

Just saw the score. Why didn't Raina batted higher? Why is that good for nothing Jadeja batting higher than him when it's Raina who needs match practice in these conditions. Stupid strategy again.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Edited by harsh1387

haha, butthurt imbecile.

trying to dispel your precious team and its captain's follies by concocting N number of exonerative theories. Face the verisimilitude that the shoddy performance begets- of ineptness and a staunch refusal to accept it; instead of inculpating every breathing soul on the British isles, and presumably your irritable bowels.

If you still feel an insuperable need to rebut, i graciously welcome you to-

GIF-Deal-With-It-starcraft-video-games-G

_

Which language is this? :samui:

Odi bowling attack looks much better. Dhoni should play 4 pacers and Ashwin. Jadeja should be benched. Pacers can be Bhuvi, Shami, Yadav and Mohit.

Sent from my Nexus 4

bhuvi should be rested at least for 1st 3 odis.

hope karn gets to play. apparently he can bat too

really should've had tiwary & jadhav in the side. tiwary would've given you few overs of leg spin too.

rahane is going to flop as usual in odi's. we need to look beyond usual bunch. running out of time

Edited by Chewie

qs for you guys. everyone says that county cricket is good bcoz you play a lot of games and are playing day-in, day-out which helps a bowler gain bowling fitness while a batsman tightens his technique. but when players play a lot of int'l games - like we did this 5 match series - excuses are given like : "bowler was tired at the end", "he ran out of juice", "batsman didnt have enough time to rest & collect his thoughts, work on his technique in nets", etc

isnt that a strange contradiction. if playing a lot of games in county helps say a bowler with his bowling fitness then doing it at int'l level should have the same effect, no?

Edited by Chewie

Pressure in county cricket and International are absolute two diff ball games. Also in county a handful people follow you, usually not even handful, so even if you play you have a lot of time to think out, while in international cricket two consecutive failures are a huge pressure hog.

Pressure in county cricket and International are absolute two diff ball games. Also in county a handful people follow you, usually not even handful, so even if you play you have a lot of time to think out, while in international cricket two consecutive failures are a huge pressure hog.

shastri & akram were saying that they felt a lot of pressure to justify their being the overseas pro & felt the pressure to perform everytime & couldnt afford to have more than a few bad games in a row (which i found odd; as though the same isnt applicable to int'l games)

Less pressure, more number of matches, you being on your own develops you as a person, varied teams, different (weaker) bowling attacks etc.

except for the bold part one could say it's the same in ranji trophy (for bowlers; for batsman ofc there's batting in alien conditions)

Purely from batsman point of view I think County helps in developing the skills to play on such surfaces. There you meet mostly English batsman who are used to of playing on such pitches so you learn how they adapt and tackle it and then you can bring it into your own game. Plus you don't have the sword hanging on your neck of getting dropped or disappointing a billion plus people.

Sent from my Nexus 4

but facing trundlers in county is very diff from facing anderson level of bowler who can bowl in/out-swing at will which u wont get in county.

for eg even in lords test which was probably the most difficult pitch of the series bcoz anderson/broad didnt bowl well the batsman scored. minute the 2 got their line & lengths right later in the series it became a different prospect.

it's like SRJ & ChePu making 200s & 300s in their sleep in ranji but even on similar pitches at home they found it difficult against Swann/Monty/Anderson etc

Also, county *may* help with tests in Eng. Then what about tests in Aus/SA/NZ? Play in their domestic scene too? At that rate, Indians will play more domestic cricket than int'l.

i feel solution is strengthen Ranji scene & many more U-15, U-19 & "A" tours. at any point of time there should be 1 of each playing somewhere in the world. that way by the time they make int'l debut they are a finished product.

dont get me wrong i'm not saying they shouldnt play county but usually by this stage their techniques are set & it'll be more difficult to alter it than at age 18. i was primarily wondering about the dichotomy of "they play too much cricket" & "they should play lots of county"

Edited by Chewie

• AtheK changed the title to The Old Cricket Thread
  • AtheK locked this topic